IGNORED

punching holes in the gas filler neck - add .4 gal

Tonight I took a new awl and rubber mallet to the gas station.

I was on reserve and filled it as high as I would dare as though expecting to stretch a 200 mile gas stop.

I then pulled my RSV over to the side under a light and pulled out my tools.

Hey everyone, if your gas tank is full and you start pounding on it - you get sprayed with gas - duh!

After speaking with MikeWA earlier today, I took his advise and punched the holes as high as possible just under the top 1/2 Inch neck ring.

I punched about 6 holes with the awl.

I then rode back to the pump and with the bike on the kickstand I put another .36 gal in.

I thought there was still more room so I put the kickstand on the hammer to straighten up the bike. I was able to put in another .04 gal.

Total gas increase .4 gallons by letting the air out of the top of the tank while filling

Since I read earlier don't park it with that much gas it in, I had to go for a 40 mile evening ride to burn off, well about 18 miles worth but it was such a nice night, I kept on going.

There you go.

VentureFar...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other question is how much of that .4 gallons was gas that got sprayed out as you were pounding on the tank.

I don't know if I would risk a spark on a full tank of gas for an extra 18 miles. When traveling I carry an emergency 1 gal gas can.

Good for you Neil. Gets you an extra 15 to 20 miles on a tank of gas. Punching it doesn't spark. The metal is soft enough so even an ice pick will work. The only down side is, if you fill the tank to the brim (remember no air pocket) and immediately let the bike sit in the hot sun expanding gas will be forced out the vent. But on a trip that extra range can be a life saver.

Mike

[ATTACH]78685[/ATTACH]

Good for you Neil. Gets you an extra 15 to 20 miles on a tank of gas. Punching it doesn't spark. The metal is soft enough so even an ice pick will work. The only down side is, if you fill the tank to the brim (remember no air pocket) and immediately let the bike sit in the hot sun expanding gas will be forced out the vent. But on a trip that extra range can be a life saver.

Mike

[ATTACH]78685[/ATTACH]

Yup - what MikeWa said.

and the splashing was more of an (stupidly) unexpected spray

Okay.....I've gotta ask this question (with a very wide grin and sarcasm dripping).

What the????? I can't figure out in my feeble mind why go through all that ruckus for a few more (18) miles? If this is done for long trip purposes, why not just route plan better so you won't be begging for a gas station. Or top off when you see one if your riding out in the middle of nowhere?

Just wondering.

Hey Big Lenny,

I am riding to Sturgis this year from Los Angeles. Taking the Northern Nevada route. Tonopah, Wells Idaho Falls etc.

There are spots where gas is 30-40 miles apart.

I can fill up at 160 or 200 miles. To me, I am wasting good saddle time on my 600 mile day if I "wimp" out at 160 miles. I do carry 2 liters of gas with me but have only had to put one into service since 2003 and that was due to an unexpected headwind late at night crossing the mojave desert. I do plan and re-plan and actually ride certain legs at differing speeds. Like a 200 mile gas stop I ride at 71 gps to make sure I get there. A 160 mile gas stop I will ride at a higher rate of speed ( self incrimination bypass :-)

I will be doing another Saddlesore 1000 on my return from Sturgis and that 18 miles in a 1000 mile day could eliminate one gas stop.

.....and besides, it is fun to stretch the capabilities of this great machine.

VentureFar...

I have been caught out in the desert where there was suppose to be a gas station at 150 miles I had planned to fuel at. when I got there it was unexpectedly closed due to a power failure and it was about 60 miles back to the last station so I had to keep going. When I finally did find a station I had gone 208 miles and put in 5.7 gallons. If I had not punched the holes to get that extra .4 gallons in at the start of the trip I would have been stranded out in the desert. Oh did I mention I was two up? Would of had to make some hard decisions. That extra .4 gallon capability is well worth the peace of mind.

As for the actual punching of the holes, yes it is soft metal and probably nothing will happen. Noticed I said "probably". The problem is that if something does go wrong it will be a BIG something. Also, as I have said before, you would have to change your name to Richard Pryor. Only takes a moment to get the right tool for the job, that would be a brass punch and a rubber mallet, and use it.

Okay.....I've gotta ask this question (with a very wide grin and sarcasm dripping).

What the????? I can't figure out in my feeble mind why go through all that ruckus for a few more (18) miles? If this is done for long trip purposes, why not just route plan better so you won't be begging for a gas station. Or top off when you see one if your riding out in the middle of nowhere?

Just wondering.

On my last cross country trip there were a lot of small towns where all of the gas stations were closed and boarded up. In some cases four or five station on one strip. So we ended up with up to 150 miles between gas stops. That's ok if you know about it. But if you were planning on taking on gas and everything is closed and the next town is 50 miles and when you get there everything is closed as happened to us then what? Unless you want to stay on the freeways that's what can happen. Yes having a gas can saved me. I only ran out once but I was well into the reserve on several occasions. So when I got back I punched my tank.

That said it only takes a couple of minutes to punch the tank. You are just putting vents in the filler neck to let air from the air pocket escape. If you are going to be making long cross country trips this is a good mod. For around town just fill to the filler neck lip. It's not that complicated. That's the where and the why of it for me.

Mike

I have been caught out in the desert where there was suppose to be a gas station at 150 miles I had planned to fuel at. when I got there it was unexpectedly closed due to a power failure and it was about 60 miles back to the last station so I had to keep going. When I finally did find a station I had gone 208 miles and put in 5.7 gallons. If I had not punched the holes to get that extra .4 gallons in at the start of the trip I would have been stranded out in the desert. Oh did I mention I was two up? Would of had to make some hard decisions. That extra .4 gallon capability is well worth the peace of mind.

As for the actual punching of the holes, yes it is soft metal and probably nothing will happen. Noticed I said "probably". The problem is that if something does go wrong it will be a BIG something. Also, as I have said before, you would have to change your name to Richard Pryor. Only takes a moment to get the right tool for the job, that would be a brass punch and a rubber mallet, and use it.

HA HA "Would of had to make some hard decisions."

I thought your next sentence was do I leave the wife behind and save myself?

Sorry, just cracked me up..

VentureFar...

HA HA "Would of had to make some hard decisions."

I thought your next sentence was do I leave the wife behind and save myself?

Sorry, just cracked me up..

VentureFar...

Well some one would have had to stay with the bike after all . . . Hmmmm wonder who???

Guest tx2sturgis

It occurs to me that we will never know if someone tried this and it sparked and exploded.

You know, its kinda hard to post the negative results from the grave.

"In other local news, a motorcycle rider apparently committed suicide when he was found dead beside his burnt-up motorcycle on 3rd and Main Street last night.

Witnesses said the man appeared to be hammering something into his gas tank just before the explosion.

Firecrews were immediately on-scene and managed to control the blaze within about five minutes.

No one else was hurt, and the man has not been identified, pending next of kin."

:whistling:

It occurs to me that we will never know if someone tried this and it sparked and exploded.

You know, its kinda hard to post the negative results from the grave.

"In other local news, a motorcycle rider apparently committed suicide when he was found dead beside his burnt-up motorcycle on 3rd and Main Street last night.

Witnesses said the man appeared to be hammering something into his gas tank just before the explosion.

Firecrews were immediately on-scene and managed to control the blaze within about five minutes.

No one else was hurt, and the man has not been identified, pending next of kin."

:whistling:

Hay; That was me.

Mike

Actually I read the posts on doing this and one of the most important was a full tank that would have less vapors available and hitting the awl with a rubber mallet. I didn't mention that I had my fire extinguisher and a large towel beside me on the floor. Kept my gloves, helmet and jacket on during the "suicide" attempt.

Wow, now I feel exhilarated for having tempted "fate" and won.

VentureFar...

Actually I read the posts on doing this and one of the most important was a full tank that would have less vapors available and hitting the awl with a rubber mallet. I didn't mention that I had my fire extinguisher and a large towel beside me on the floor. Kept my gloves, helmet and jacket on during the "suicide" attempt.

Wow, now I feel exhilarated for having tempted "fate" and won.

VentureFar...

Read somewhere that you should use a piece of waxpaper(between punch point and tank lip) to prevent sparks...

to add to the list... I would also do this outside...LOL:rotf::rotfl:

Myself, I just take an exta gallon along in my saddlebag...

The guys I ride with, have Harleys and can go 250-300 mi per tank, but like was said before, at 150 miles I'm ready to get off and streech

legs... a.e They was averaging 50 MPG to my 42 MPG.

Edited by CaptainJoe

Ahhh, Okay. I get it now.

After reading a couple of your experiences I now understand why you would want that extra amount of fuel. I ride 2 up 90% of the time, and after 150-160 miles my wife is always ready to step off of the bike for a few minutes, so it only makes sense that I fill up at that time. Heck, sometimes we'll stop at 100 miles.

We did a two weeker last September across Oklahoma, panhandle of TX, in northern NM, southern CO, southern UT, and northern AZ, and never really had an episode where I was truly concerned about running out of gas because we were hitting decent sized towns with multiple stations on a regular clip. Obviuosly you guys are riding in way more remote areas than we have been, and certainly are putting in longer mileage days than we usually put in. A long day for us is 600-700 miles, and usually only put in 200-300 when we're sight seeing and visiting parks and such.

We're gonna head to the Texas hill country in October, I hear you can run out of gas in some of those areas if you dont watch it.

Maybe I'll think about punching my tank. LOL.

Guest tx2sturgis

We're gonna head to the Texas hill country in October, I hear you can run out of gas in some of those areas if you dont watch it.

No worries mate. Its a law that in the Texas Hill Country they have a BBQ place every 18.64 miles. And they sell beans.

:D

The idea of having that little extra safety margin of fuel capacity is well warranted but as with many, the prospect of punching holes in the filler neck poses a couple of problems. The risk of sending sparks above a fuel tank not withstanding, there is also the problem of losing that fuel expansion air space. Hence why you would only fill the tank to the max when you know you're getting back on the road right away and burn off that excess fuel before expansion becomes an issue. But it may happen that you might forget or miss the proper fill line when fueling before putting the bike away etc..

To get around the issues presented with punching holes in the filler neck, I carry a short length of copper tube in the tank pocket pouch. Large enough diameter to allow good air flow and shaped like an upside down candy cane. With a tether attached to it in case I drop it into the tank, I slide it down the neck and as I'm filling up with fuel, the air escapes through to top of the short end of the bend in the tube inside the tank, allowing me to fill the tank to that max capacity as needed. And if I'm fueling the bike before putting it away after the last ride, I know I won't accidently over fill it leaving me without the expansion space..

Cheap and easy to make and use..

Well the gas tank snorkel is patentable product #1 for filling the tank. Product number two is a 1.5 inch thick 4" square of wood with a "tether" attached that I use to level the bike to get max gas in the tank - to the brim. Then mount the bike, and reel in the kickstand puck and then push in the gas cap. Phew- lot of work for 18 miles...

VentureFar...

Guest tx2sturgis

Or you could just carry one of these....

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Reda-Portable-Motorcycle-Gas-Can/dp/B003WHBVDI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top]Reda Portable Motorcycle Gas Can - 1 Gallon : Amazon.com : Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31HU2nSYzIL.@@AMEPARAM@@31HU2nSYzIL[/ame]

:happy34:

So here is the exact reason for squeezing every oz of gas in.

In a few weeks:

Riding Tonopah Nv up 376 thru Austin to Battle Mountain.

There is gas in Tonopah - a 185 mile ride from my last gas stop.

Then Tonopah to Austin - no gas enroute - 118 miles

Austin to Battle Mountain - 88 miles no gas enroute

So I figure 206 miles on two lane road - guessing speed at 60-65 - not freeway speeds, I am safe going that distance with 5.8 gal ( and 2 liters in the trunk for the RSV I come across that didn't punch holes in their neck )

VentureFar...