IGNORED

After market exhaust-opinions please

NewfieDan

I am new to the forum and have a question about replacing me stock mufflers. I want to add some rumble to the bikebut not be overly loud. I amnot into scaring old ladies and babies.

I have tried the Baron Bag slash slip ons and find them too loud. Only HD riders are willing to be behind me when I am using them. I like the tone bt not the volume of them.

I am looking for something between the Barons and stock. So far I have looked found Peacemakers, BUB, Paughco, Samson Silver Bullet and Vance and Hines.

Has anyone tried these and found them to be what I am looking for?

they don`t make vance and hines for venture from what ive have found I was thinking about the peace makers my self but unsure or even L A choppers has some to but ive heard they are load to .From what ive seen there is only 4 option for the venture . would like to find out the info myself.

A lot of folks here have installed Road King mufflers on the RSV. Not much louder, if any, than stock but to me that means that you could by Vance & Hines or any others that fit the Road King and they should be easily adaptable to the RSV.

I have the same Barons mufflers as you on my RSTD. I've run it without the baffles, with the baffles and have also wrapped or pack the baffle. So far I have settled in on the packed baffle as my prefered sound. You can get a package of it for about $15 from Cruisercustomizing.com and most other places that sell aftermarket exhaust. This is what I used http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/muffler-packing-11-inch-x-16-inch-x-1-inch/part/DS-160-1112 . It's in 2 layers so you can seperate it and and trim to size with scissors and have enough for both mufflers. It will be a little lose to start with but once it heats up it expands to fill the void around the baffle pretty snug.

Road King slash cuts (non catalytic version). Not too loud but a better sound than stock. You can also drill out any of 3 baffles to vary the sound. You can get these anywhere from free to $100 depending where you find them. You have to adapt the rear mount with a custom bracket.

Do a search here and you can find the spec for making the bracket ... it is very easy to do with a 2" wide length of 1/8 Aluminum.

In my opinion (for what that is worth) the three top choices as far as sound quality goes are in no particular order are listed below.

1. Vance and Hines monster ovals
  2. Bub slip ons (tips tend to flake)
  3. Krome Werks (has multiple tip options to select from)

I am running Krome werks with turn outs and really like them, if I were to replace them I would most likely go with the Vance and Hines Monster ovals.

I suggest getting on Youtube and listening to some different pipes. I have the Samson slash cuts, but as mentioned they are Loud. I like it. My buddies have the Bubs. They sound good, a nice crisp rumble but their chrome on the tips flaked and they had them powder coated black. Still looks good

Here's a youtube clip of a Venture with the Vance and Hines Monster Ovals made for the Harleys. It seems all you need to attach them is a simple extra bracket as mentioned in a preceding thread.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRN_hp_Bksc]Vance & Hines Monster Ovals on Yamaha (Star Royal Venture) - YouTube[/ame]

And here's a clip that shows the bracket and its attachment.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntCqamr1Oy8]Yamaha Royal Venture Bracket Install for Monster Ovals - YouTube[/ame]

Andy

I had the Vance and Hines Monster Ovals and they are loud for extended periods of riding, great for running around town errands etc. sold

I have a set of BUB's ( cone tip ) and a set of Krome Werks 3 1/2 slant back with the touring baffle "touring lite". They both sound about the same, deep tone and tolerable on long rides ( 500-600 miles for a couple of days ).

I also have a set of Peacemakers turn downs or turn outs ( 3 screws to take out to turn ). These are my favorite for around the house,errands parades etc. but to loud for long runs. on the bike now

I have a set of stock Harley slant back with the 2 front baffles removed that I run most of the time louder than stock but not annoying on long trips ( 500-600 miles a day stuff for several days ).

It's like everything else different people like different kinds of loud. IMHO :whistling:

THe Road Kings are a very popular choice nad are economical to buy. If you get a pair and decide you dont like they are pretty easy to sell again and not loose anything on them. I have bought 2 pair a straight and slash cut which I prefer. Neither pair did I pay more than $30 for. I found them somewhat local and went and picked them up so I had a tank of gas involved. Mine are mounted using a "P" clamp around the rear saddlebag bar.

My '07 is running a set of Road Kings, and the '99 has a set of rebuilt Bubbs. The RK's are a medium increase over stock, and the Bubbs are +30% over the RK's. Neither set 'barks' when launching off the line.... I picked up a Decibel meter in an auction a while back. One of these days I'm going to have to do some testing..... :)

Guest tx2sturgis

Be careful with removed, stock, HD mufflers...they are not all the same. Some have differences in baffling in the left and right sides. This is due to the 'Y' pipe header that comes stock on some of the FL models, depending on the year and model. In my opinion, the reason you can get them all day long for free, or nearly free, is because they have little value. Like I said, just my opinion, and I know others are happy with them. Aftermarket HD slipons should be the same left and right, but I would make sure of that before spending money on them.

I like the way the Bubs sound and are made to fit right on the Royal Stars, but they do get some flaking chrome on the tips...didnt bother me, or anyone else, but I suppose to some owners it might matter.

:stickpoke:

Edited by tx2sturgis

Be careful with removed, stock, HD mufflers...they are not all the same. Some have differences in baffling in the left and right sides. This is due to the 'Y' pipe header that comes stock on some of the FL models, depending on the year and model. In my opinion, the reason you can get them all day long for free, or nearly free, is because they have little value. Like I said, just my opinion, and I know others are happy with them. Aftermarket HD slipons should be the same left and right, but I would make sure of that before spending money on them.

I like the way the Bubs sound, but they do get some flaking chrome on the tips...didnt bother me, or anyone else, but I suppose to some owners it might matter.

:stickpoke:

During the rebuild I just polished out the tips of my Bubs, and shot them with a clear coat. They are aluminum and probably the main reason the chrome flakes off. Some of the guys paint them black which looks kinda cool too.

I love my Peacemakers. They are loud enough but not obnoxious and I put them back to stock quiet anytime I desire. The loudness of open pipes is mostly heard behind the bike so I find that I can even enjoy my stereo while cruising with pipes open. I think they are the best of both worlds.

Guest tx2sturgis
During the rebuild I just polished out the tips of my Bubs, and shot them with a clear coat. They are aluminum and probably the main reason the chrome flakes off. Some of the guys paint them black which looks kinda cool too.

And that clear coat is standing up to the heat? Thats some damn good clear coat...either that or its all baked off and its just the polished aluminum thats left.

Yeah the thin chrome goes away on the Bubs aluminum tips because of the constant expansion/contraction that the aluminum will do when heated and cooled. I've seen them painted hi-temp black or powder coated, and they look rather sharp that way.

:happy34:

I'm with you Brian on the different types of HD muffs. If going that route definatly check out threads for "correct" PN. My first pair were straight cuts of a non-cat bike. But if you looked in them the baffeling looked different. The slash cuts I have now were off a 2012, so they are a non-cat as the cat on those is up stream of muffs. When you look in these they look more symetrical to eachother.

Guest tx2sturgis
if you looked in them the baffeling looked different.

It is different on some of the mufflers, especially the factory mufflers...on some models.

I should have finished the thought with this...since some of the mufflers have different baffling from side to side, and most likely, different restriction levels, its reasonable to assume they might cause an imbalance when installed on the V4 we have. Possibly one side running richer or leaner than the other, which might make it hard to get the carb synch just right. I'm only guessing, havent actually tried it...

But here's a thought: Why not just buy and install aftermarket pipes that are actually MADE for the V4? If you spent 10 or 15 thousand dollars on the bike, what's $300 or $400? Especially if they will bolt right up, look good, and sound good, and maybe even weigh less?

Radical thought I know. :stirthepot:

Unless you live in or ride through Denver CO or New York City, where those cities require all motorcycles to have the factory pipes installed. Jerks.