IGNORED

Exhaust popping - any other suggestions

I purchased (private sale) my 2003 RSMV this spring 38,000 km (24,000 miles) on it, had it serviced prior to taking it out. The exhaust popping has been there right from the start (primarily when decelerating but it happened for the first time today when I started it). I have been reading the threads on this issue and have done what has been suggested. The AIS was removed (previous owner), installed a baron tachometer (thanks Freebird, your thread outlining how to install this was bang on), bought a carb tune so I could check the sync and all is good. Went back to the dealer asked if they had any suggestions and he told me to use this fuel additive to clean the carbs \ jets. I got the impression he did not see this as a major issue. I did as he suggested abd the popping persists. Is it a major issue or is it just an annoyance. Does anyone have any other suggestion I could try to eliminate the popping? A friend said the valves might need adjusting?:confused07:

Check the connections the PO put in to block the AIS. This would be the first place I would look for an air leak in system. Does it have stock mufflers?? If it has the Road Kings this ups the anty some.

The bike has aftermarket slip on's. All connections seem solid, definitely nothing loose to the touch. The in the AIS from previous owner all appear pretty secure as well. I will have to try the choke idea and see where that takes me. Off to work for now, thanks for the suggestions.

I had the same problem and also did all of the same fixes to no avail. I had the carbs apart for the 36th time and had decided that I had simply missed something and was going to lay all of the parts out and start comparing if something was different between parts. Well to make a long story short I never got that far before I noticed the color of the o-ring seal on the float needle seat assembly. It had that ethanol brown color to it which happens to the older rubber parts that are often overlooked on a carb rebuild. I have owned my bike, a 96 since it was new and I had never changed the seat assembly which consists of the brass looking piece that has the screen on the bottom. I have removed these assemblies to clean that screen but it never really dawned on me that they could leak just enough to be a problem. Since they are a really tight fit or should be, I think I was masking the problem with some oil I lubed them with to reassemble them. A good indication of the wear is how easily they can be removed, they should be pretty snug and not like they would fall out if the retaining screw wasn't there. I replaced the assemblies since it was easier than trying to find the o-ring type seals. They were not very expensive (like 20 bucs apiece) and it would eliminate the possibility of a bad float seat that you can't really inspect anyway. I have had no popping of any kind after putting it all back together and that was before any fine adjustments or a new sync. I am grateful to all of the guys here that give such amazing help, this is just something to add to the list of things to try because it can be any of the suggestions that fix your problem, you just have to find the right one. Best of luck to you! :080402gudl_prv:

Do you run 87 octane or higher? Run the tank low and then put in a 91 or higher octane gas and see if it still happens. If it is an exhaust leak I would think you'd still get some popping. If you don't, could be plugs or carb set up.

Also... check to make sure all four cylinders are firing. Each pipe should be the same temperature coming out of the cylinders. Maybe one isn't firing right?

Cheap thing to try is Seafoam. Run the tank low (below 1/4 tank), pour in a full can of Seafoam at home, ride to a gas station 5 to 10 miles from home running off the main tank, and then top up the tank.