IGNORED

1-Up is having a problem...........

DragonRider

Ken Derret, aka 1-Up is having a problem with his 2nd Gen. Here is what he asked me. I am a 1st gen guy, so I will leave it up to the pro's. Sounds to me like the rectifier is going bad. What else could it be?

This is from Ken.

I have been having trouble with my bike for a couple years now. I thought it was because I needed a new battery. I'll be driving down the road and the bike will die. And, I can't restart it. It (Bike) will only click. I think it has to do with the alt. or what ever they use. I know ride down the road and sometimes hit my horn button and the horn doesn't work. My turn signals don't work. I turn off everything I can. and a short time later they will work again.

I had a similar problem and found it to be the flat atc style plastic fuses on each side of the starter relay the spade blades of the fuses were corroded. cleaned them off and problem gone. replaced fuses when I got home. this is behind the side cover. I would ck them and make sure if there ok and since your in there coat some grease on the fuse blades before reinstalling

This is coming from 1st Gen experiences but probably still applicable. All good previous advice but here is more to think about..

There is probably a set of three wires coming from the stator (alternator) - they are all the same color (white on my 1st gens) and there should be a splice terminal for them (left side while sitting on the bike under the left side body/frame cover??). Split that terminal block and check coloration on terminal/wires for getting hot, also check wires going into terminal and the connectors internally.. Make sure they are clean.. I've had em get so hot from bad connection on this terminal (from resistance made by bad wire connection that the plastic plug had melted) You can do a resistance check on your stator at this connector too.. You just check from leg to leg (the resistance is suppose to measure the same across all three wires (seems like 3.5 ohms rings a bell to me,, maybe 6 ohms limit - I am sure the tolerances are on here somewhere) - just seperate the plug and check the lead going to the motor..

Will the battery take a charge off a battery charger and hold it?? Could be as simple as needing water in the battery..

I had a similar problem and found it to be the flat atc style plastic fuses on each side of the starter relay the spade blades of the fuses were corroded. cleaned them off and problem gone. replaced fuses when I got home. this is behind the side cover. I would ck them and make sure if there ok and since your in there coat some grease on the fuse blades before reinstalling

:sign yeah that:

Exactly what was going on with mine. Cleaned the baldes on the fuse and filed the spos where the fuse goes and solved my problem.

Ken, could be any number of things. My 99's electrical system was wreaking havoc with me for a while. I replaced the igniion switch, starter solenoid, stator, rectifier, along with cleaning and putting dielectric grease on all connectors. I would consider a bad ignition switch being the culprit based on what you described. Also the plug going into the rectifier could be fried. One of the wires on the end of the plug on my bike was cooked so it was making sporadic contact. I ended up rewiring the plug. Living near the ocean does promote corrosion.

Ken Derret, aka 1-Up is having a problem with his 2nd Gen. Here is what he asked me. I am a 1st gen guy, so I will leave it up to the pro's. Sounds to me like the rectifier is going bad. What else could it be?

This is from Ken.

I have been having trouble with my bike for a couple years now. I thought it was because I needed a new battery. I'll be driving down the road and the bike will die. And, I can't restart it. It (Bike) will only click. I think it has to do with the alt. or what ever they use. I know ride down the road and sometimes hit my horn button and the horn doesn't work. My turn signals don't work. I turn off everything I can. and a short time later they will work again.

You can let Ken know this forum is still accepting new members.

Mike