IGNORED

Star Motorcycles

MikeWa

I looked but just couldn't leap, those big ugly jugs and that wart on the back called a touring box was too much for me. Went with better resale on the RoadGlide Ultra.:cool10:

That touring Box holds a lotta suff ... much more than you can fit in a Venture or a Harley trunk.

As for the "better" resale value of the RG ... hahahahahaha OMFG I just fell off my chair laffin. You take a stock RG vs a stock CCT today and wait 5 years... 5 will get ya 10 the CCT will hold it's value far better because in 5 years the RG will have 1/2 the miles and a history of major repairs. Now who wants a bike like that? Not to mention, the market will be flooded with used RG's coz they'll have been traded in for Vics.

:Im not listening to :witch_brew: :stickpoke:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tx2sturgis
Went with better resale on the RoadGlide Ultra.:cool10:

You cant ride 'resale value'...and dont kid yourself, the resale value on a used Harley PLUMMETS after the bike has about 20,000 miles.

I've owned three.

20,000 miles (ONE front tire change) on the average HD is about 3-4 years...give or take, and ask a dealer what he will give you in trade on a 4 year old ElectraGlide, RoadGlide, or other BigTwin. It will make you laugh...or cry, depending on your particular needs and wants.

I for some reason think alot of maintenece. I do most of my own to save $$. But still most of the time I hear the HD guys talk about "routine valve and head" work around 30-40K. WHAT???? In this day and age your kidding right. And to adjust the valves you got to take the head off and install after market adjustable push rods? Come on man really. Its bad enough we have to mess with the shim thing, there aint no reason a bike motor built in the last 20yr aint got hyd lifters.

I keep hearing this "resale" spin all the time. Thing is I dont buy for resale, I buy for me. I have yet to buy anything I can remember and get my money out of it. Well except a very few things maybe, tools and maybe one car. Shoot even my house is worth lees than when I bought it. Its worth what the next guy is willing to pay and your willing to trade for green backs. Green spends all day everyday.

Guest tx2sturgis
For a slower ugly bike? 10 bucks....:whistling:

SOLD!

2007 Venture, $10.

Motor(optional): $5500

Handling fee: $9832.

Shipping: $1450.

Included bling: $200

internet fee: $750

Paypal accepted.

:whistling:

Guest tx2sturgis
And to adjust the valves you got to take the head off and install after market adjustable push rods? Come on man really. Its bad enough we have to mess with the shim thing, there aint no reason a bike motor built in the last 20yr aint got hyd lifters.

The twin cam (twinky) motor DOES have hydraulic lifters, but that doesnt mean they are 'maintenance free'....any change in the cam chain drive, or the cams themselves, can result in needing to replace the pushrods and assorted other items. If you install adjustable pushrods, you dont remove the heads, thats the reason for using them.

I have written other articles about the flaws in the twinky motor, so I wont repeat it here, but suffice to say, that somewhere around 30-40 thousand miles, they will need internal $$$work$$$ to keep them from becoming an expensive lump of aluminum.

But still, they sell bikes, and always will. :think:

Personally I like all bikes, its a flaw in my charector thats been with me my whole life. Around here there aint nuttin holding resale value..

I like HD's cause HD (and aftermarket companys) offer all kind of gear head kinda stuff (not just typical bling) that no one else really offers.. One of the things that still gets me about them though is that stupid little chain tensioner shoe that wears out.. I worked on three stranded HDs last year at sturgis (really not bad when you think of all of them out there) and all were due to that little nylon shoe.. I was telling one guy I helped that gear drive is the answer but its the one thing that HD DOESNT offer, gotta go to Andrews for it, weird..

Cant wait to see what Polaris does with the completed new indian being unveiled at sturgis this year,, I like what they did with the three cam design on the motor..

As far as resale value on these ol yammies goes, I love my 1st gens (on my 5th one) BECAUSE of thier low resale value (and lots of other reasons too).. I always fiqured if it broke down out in the middle of no where and I couldnt fix it I would give it to some poor kid who always wanted a bike to play with and I/we would grab a bus home and buy another one :rotf: Now if it were a 20,000 bike I wouldnt do that..

I am rootin for yam to build on that new V-max motor, than hopefully, the wing stays a cult bike driving down the value of venture (like the 80's all over again) and than in a few years I could afford to have that new vmax touring bike in the stable..

I like the stability of the Vision 8 ball (if you never test rode one you should), the looks of the new F6B Honda, the age ol design of the soft tail, the trunk space on the ultras, the quiteness of the beamers, the size of a boss hog, and the smell of the exhaust on my old KX on Klots... :bighug:

That touring Box holds a lotta suff ... much more than you can fit in a Venture or a Harley trunk.

As for the "better" resale value of the RG ... hahahahahaha OMFG I just fell off my chair laffin. You take a stock RG vs a stock CCT today and wait 5 years... 5 will get ya 10 the CCT will hold it's value far better because in 5 years the RG will have 1/2 the miles and a history of major repairs. Now who wants a bike like that? Not to mention, the market will be flooded with used RG's coz they'll have been traded in for Vics.

:Im not listening to :witch_brew: :stickpoke:

Just getting back:

Had 03 Harley Ultra Clasic paid $18,000 in 05 sold in 11 for $12,500.

Had 05 RoadGlide paid $12,000 in 09 traded a month ago for new RG allowed $10,000 on trade.

Had 06 Venture traded on CVO Harley Dyna dealer allowed $5,500.

I keep all my bikes in like new condition and all my traded bikes had over 40,000 miles on them. I do all my maintenance and put M/c oil in them. No valve or cam bearing failures yet. I don't own a cage the wife got one in her name.

WildBill,:stickinouttounge:

Fortunately, Yamaha makes high mileage, dependable bikes.

Riding two Royals, I figure I will get several more years out both. particularly my '09 RSV.

And, when that shows it's age, might pick up a used 2013.

If Yamaha comes around by time I am looking, good.

If they don't, I will simply buy the best "Touring Bike" out.

Mike G.

All I can say, Mike...is Amen.

:farmer:

That is history and irrelevant. We're talking now and 5 yrs from now. :stickpoke:

If you look close I've got the RoadGlide and the CVO Dyna both after you got your Victory. I like the Victory engine had a 99 model with a 1600 in it. Just don't like the George Jetson styling they have now.:080402gudl_prv:

Guest tx2sturgis
Just getting back:

Had 03 Harley Ultra Clasic paid $18,000 in 05 sold in 11 for $12,500.

Had 05 RoadGlide paid $12,000 in 09 traded a month ago for new RG allowed $10,000 on trade.

Had 06 Venture traded on CVO Harley Dyna dealer allowed $5,500.

I keep all my bikes in like new condition and all my traded bikes had over 40,000 miles on them. I do all my maintenance and put M/c oil in them. No valve or cam bearing failures yet. I don't own a cage the wife got one in her name.

WildBill,:stickinouttounge:

Glad you posted the numbers...lets examine them:

The 2 year old HD Ultra that you bought, was originally when new, about $22,000...give or take. Add the 'harley tax', and it was probably closer to $24,000. These are rough numbers, added bling would push the cost up much higher, of course.

You bought it at 2 years old, and it lost about 6 grand. When you sold it in 2011, for $12,500, it was worth about half its original value. A loss of about $11,000 in real dollars.

The 2005 Road Glide was close to, or at, $20,000 new, including the 'harley tax'.

Sold to you for $12,000 in 2009. A loss in value of around $8,000 in 4 years.

You traded it and on the paperwork they showed $10,000...which made you happy I'm assuming. Down $2000 in 4 years, not bad for you, but worth about half its original value when new. An overall loss of about $10,000.

The 2006 Venture lost about $9,500 in real dollars (assuming you paid about $15K) ...a higher percentage of loss to be sure, but the real hit in the pocketbook is about the same. AND...on a Venture there is NO 'harley tax'...the money that most new owners pay to have the Harley 'fixed'...new ECM remapping, new aircleaner, and new exhaust...and that stuff adds up.

(None of these numbers include repairs or regular maintenance of course.)

You did well in your trades, and I'm not taking away from that at all.

But to assume that the resale value on a new HD will be money in the wallet is simply not correct...in years past, it was.

I knew guys in the 90's that sold two year-old Harleys for more than they paid for them when new. New Harleys were scarce back then, and dealers were lucky to have a few new bikes on the floor.

I personally put deposits down on them back then, and patiently waited from 6 to 12 months to see my new bike.

Hey if you enjoy riding them, and keeping them maintained, then have fun! I certainly did!

:happy34:

Edited by tx2sturgis

If you look close I've got the RoadGlide and the CVO Dyna both after you got your Victory. I like the Victory engine had a 99 model with a 1600 in it. Just don't like the George Jetson styling they have now.:080402gudl_prv:

So I guess we'll come back to this convo in 5 years then? :scratchchin: :eek:

Actually, I don't like that Jetson style either but that's the Vision. I just don't see that in the CCT. Sure, there is some similarity but not much. Besides, it's nice to have something that's a bit of a break-away from the "normal" and for me, the CCT does that without going too far.

What I find interesting when I am out riding, stopping here and there, is that I'm seeing more and more Victory product on the road. Many of them are the "crusers" and "baggers" style. Just this past weekend we saw 2 CCTs, one CC, and one Boardwalk. What's also interesting is in the last 3 or 4 rides I've not seen one 2nd gen Venture. Probably just coincidence.

I'm on 2 different Victory forums and you see converted HD owners every day.

It's a changing world and Victory is a very strong, up and coming competitor that's taking a lot of business away from the "old timers" such as Harley, Yamaha, etc. Kawasaki tried to get back into the "touring" market with their Voyager but I think they dropped the ball on that one. Yamaha has to do something BIG if it wants to continue to be in this market and Harley will still have it's "die hards" but if they don't make some major changes and bring in a modern engine design for their touring product, their sales will drop. Consider this ... if they update the RG and/or the Electra "touring class" to a water cooled 2 or 4 cyl engine, just think of all the used Harleys flooding the market which of course will considerably lower their market value...

Currently the local HD shop has a 2012 EG Ultra listed for $22,995. In 2012 it's list price was close to 27,000 so let's say 26,995 for simpler math ... so that's a 4 grand drop in the 1st year. Will it bring full asking price?... I doubt it. Did it sell new for the full listed price... you betcha! So, conceivably then it might sell for $19,995 (again for simple math) so add another 3 bills to that 4 grand and you're now at a 7 grand drop in one year.

:whistling:

Edited by SilvrT