IGNORED

Aging and carb sync....

1BigDog

First let me thank Freebird for his clear pics on the screw locations for syncing the carbs in the tech section. I have done this several times without any problems, however this time my vision would not allow me to look deep into the carbs to see the 1-2 screw. All I was able to see was a lump of something in its general area. Some of you old timers will understand the balancing act of trying to see while wearing bi-focal glasses and said screw is just at that point where you transition from the reading portion to the distance portion of the glasses. Dont work too well. Heading back to the garage to give it a try. :backinmyday:

Got them synched now. Had to hold the glasses off of my face about 3" and peer through the bottom half to finally see the screw. Next time I coat the screw heads with day glo paint. Did scare the hell out of me a few times though. Anti freeze started coming out the back before I realized that it was just overflow. Also had a loud knock from the fan when it kicked on and found a carb vent hose got caught in there somehow. Glad it wasnt a "Now what the hell happened" moment.

Carbs were pretty much in sync before I took the bike apart. 1-2 and 3-4 were just slightly out of whack. Once both were tweaked it was straight across the board. Didnt have to mess around with the screw under the choke. Got to wire in some switches and tidy up things inside the fairing later then she goes back together fully.

it is not an easy screw to find, I know I would never have found it if I had not found the procedure with photos here also. 2 things, do it indoors with a dimly lite room, don't turn on all the lights in the shop then use the good LED flashlight.

And I am nowhere near getting old! just saying

That's why I wear TRI focals. I is really old, but not so old that there was ever a problem finding the right spot.:whistling:

But Jeff, are you really sure you are touching what you think you see?????:confused24:

Man I TOTALLY get this thread, seems like when I hit 40 (and I dont mean mph) my 20/20 went 0/0 at close up... I found out those cheap little reading classes (especially the 3 power ones) REALLY help,,,, man I hate to admit that.... :backinmyday:

Here is what I did, I had glasses my whole life. I was terribly near sighted. About 7 years ago I got to the point I had to take OFF my glasses to read anything. Any kind of mechanical work was looking over my glasses then through them, then over and so on! Glasses got to be such a pain.

So I did some research and I had Lasik! But a bit different than most. I had my right eye corrected for distance and left the other one alone so I can see close. Its called mono vision. I dont need glassses to read or see far. I get to wear COOL sunglasses when I ride!

I hear some people cant adjust to this type of lasik but it works for me. Of course I am not sure how it will go this November when I renew my drivers license and they test each indiviual eye????? That could pose an issue??? :confused24:

Ive wore glasses all my life , done some welding witout safety stuff ,,,, dark areas are hard to see for 3 years I had a flashlight i got from snap on...its stainless steel , water proof , OIL PROOF , figured that when i dropped it a drain pan

it has a rubber housing so i can hold it in mu mouth and use two hands

in bright sun light in can light up a shady spot....or use it as a spot light after dark

it is extremy tough,,,, IF IT IS LOUIE PROOF , IT IS A GOOD ONE !!

2 tripple a batteries last 10 to 12 straight hours

At 62 and with one eye, working on things like this is not as easy and not as much fun as before. I have some no-line bifocals, but usually I just have a couple of pair of cheap reading glasses of different strengths and if I need to see real close up, I will put both pair on.

The best light that I have for this type is the small LED lights that are available that strap on your forehead. I get mine at Harbor Freight and they take three AAA batteries. I probably have a half dozen of these with one in each vehicle, especially the bike.

RandyA