IGNORED

New Member new to me Bike

I have moved this post from the second generation section to this one as Snaggletooth pointed out to me I have a first generation bike.:whistling:

OK I'm new to the forum and I just purchased a new to me 1989 Venture Royale with 8100 Km on the clock. This bike has been sitting for the last 10 years since the PO died. I bought the bike from his brother, he's a Harley guy. It has been started on a regular basis. I paid $400 as the bike is in need of TLC from sitting there is some minor rust, exhaust has no visible damage, rust or holes . No missing parts but a couple plastic vents and such need to be replaced. seat needs to be either recovered or replaced. I plan on doing a complete restoration. I only part I need to replace is the throttle control setup. Suggestions on how to proceed with this endeavor will be greatly appreciated. I am not new to rebuilding a bike as I have a 83 Yamaha XJ750K that I have resurrected and use as a daily driver and also a 73 Suzuki GT750K that is an ongoing work in progress. This due to the HIGH price of parts for it. So wish me luck. And I'll keep you posted on my progress.

:fingers-crossed-emo

Welcome. I have a 1982 Maxium and a 1985 Venture with only 24k miles on it that I'm keeping in reserve. Also have a 83 with 19k but I suspect that one is 119k. And my 86 rider. E-Bay is still the place to find parts (along with the guys here) Do a search on E-Bay motors. My page brings up about 23,000 parts with a few of them being Chevy Venture parts but a great way to browse for parts.

here are a couple of places I used to find parts for my 85,

Pinwall cycle- used parts, http://stores.ebay.ca/PinWall-Cycle-Parts-Inc/Venture-1983-1993-/_i.html?_fsub=3669172014&_sid=12458664&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Partshark.com- new parts, but they also have all the parts diagrams online so you can lookup what you need. http://www.partshark.com/custompage.asp?pg=yamahaparts

good luck with your bike and welcome to the group!

Brian

Thanks for the reply guys well the bike is here :cool10: no missing parts but some where loose. The PO was thinking of doing a rebuild for his son to use it. They stated to take off the luggage and plastic but that's as far as they went. A few thing are stiff and the throttle is seized so that will have to be replaced. The only problem I'm having is getting the gas cap off the tank. The key turns about 1/8 of a turn and that's it. the cap moves a little but does not release any ideas? A service manual came with the bike. Its badly beat up but still useable.

Also some pictures on photo bucket; http://s865.photobucket.com/user/Ground-Hugger/library/Bike?sort=3&page=1

:mytruck1:

If throttle cable is stuck from non use,rust,an casing is not busted dont try to work it takr it off an soak it it old motor oil for a night, move slowwly. Back an forth an soon itll be brand new,,,dunk it comppletly,did it to an old 6 cylinder yamaha i pulled out of a barn never bought a part cept rebuilding carbs,,everything on it was roze even the chain,wheel wouldnt turn,it was hid when a hurricane hit,,,found barn when we cut weeds,,,,,submerge it an make it stay

The tank is very solid on the outside so it may not be all bad news.

Don't be too surprised when you get that cap off. Pull the seat and remove the fuel sending unit off also to get a good look inside that tank.

You said it had been 10 years since the bike was ridden. That adds up to a lot of condensation. Mine had been in a heated garage for 9 years and a little fuel added once in while to start it up.

Needless to say, I ended up with rust particals all through the fuel system. Petcock, ALL fuel lines, filters clogged constantly, fuel pump and all carbs. I ended up doing an epoxy reseal on the tank and replaced everything from the petcock to the needles.

Just sayin' it's a good place to start before you go to far into carbs if you have any rust issue at all. The outside of mu tank looked like new, the inside...... not so much.

Well rust in the tank is no big deal to cure. But I'm thinking that my problem with the fuel cap may be has a separate key. It sure acts like the key I have is the wrong key and I'm wondering if the PO had replaced the fuel cap at some point. Going to have the see if the PO brother has another key somewhere. Cant talk to actual PO he's deceased. When he died everything they could find was paced up.

I need to know how do you remove the gas tank? I want to clean the carbs.

OK you do not have to remove the gas tank to remove the carbs, they fit thru the side once you get them broken loose. While you have them out, also service the intake throats as they can develop holes, and the rubber o ring gaskets underneath can deteriorate. You will also find a lot of buildup on the mating surfaces.

Now if you are removing the tank, you will want to remove the rear tire and the rear subframe to get to it better...

Now if you are removing the tank, you will want to remove the rear tire and the rear subframe to get to it better...

Yep, there ya go. Rather than disassemble everything on the back of the bike you can remove the entire assembly at the sub frame mounting points. Few bolts, unplug some wiring and off it comes. Saves a lot of time.

OK I got the gas tank out, looked through the beat up service manual that came with the bike. It had to come out anyway. Need to drain old gas and clean out the sludge. Will need to replace fuel hoses, gas filter and either rebuild or replace petcock. I wonder how much beer I'm going to need to do this job? Any way not to much rust on the bike a little on the frame that I had to swing up to remove the gas tank. And a little on the removable muffler tips. Other wise its just nasty from sitting. Quick question. What would be the best product for cleaning up the oxidization on the engine? I'm positive the reason I can not get the gas cap off is that its a replacement cap. Are they hard to find?

Thanks for your help.

Haven't taken it off yet want to find replacement first. Might buy a replacement tank. There was a lot of old gas and crude in the tank. the sending unit still looks good. One of the guys had taken his to a lock smith and the guy drilled out the center of the lock on the cap. I'd want to make sure I had a back up cap for sure before I did that.

Things I need to replace:

Petcock

Fuel Filter

Cables from the throttle

Throttle

Right hand control switches

Handle bar tubes

Thinking of replacing gas tank and need replacement gas cap.

That's pretty well most of it. Now to start looking at Feabay.

I don't think there are too many of us that use the petcock,, even if it's working it's a tough one to move, much easier to keep an eye on the fuel gauge.

Why do you want to replace the handle bars, are they rusty,,, just clean them, apply some Fluid Film and your good to go.

The right side switch has been taken apart by most of us, just cleaned, lubed and used some more.

To clean the engine I use an orange based product called Citrosolve, a Dominion Chemical product, gets rid of anything, including rust and paint if used full strength, works wonders on the engine. If you want some, let me know and when either you're up here aor I'm down there I'll make sure you get some.