IGNORED

might be a dumb question? not motorcycle related

oldgoat

ok how do I explain this with out sounding dumb?

my daughter lives in MN she wants to purchase some furniture for me from walmart. this includes a recliner, computer desk. some end tables and dresser for the bedroom. and a 32 inch flat screen tv. they said they can ship it to my door for a shipping charge from my local store? cost to ship all the items is under $80 as all of the items will be put on one truck. ok now here is the question that might sound like I am dumb. they said shipping is to my door? so they will not bring it inside for me? my door is up a flight of stairs. then there is a deck. so it looks like I will have to lift this stuff into my apartment by my self? when you open my door there is 5 more stairs to go up. I just cant handle that recliner. by myself the rest I have to put together and there in boxes that wont be too much of a problem but that chair will be. maybe if I offer the delivery person $20 bucks he will take it inside for me?

Not sure what to tell you but I would have your daughter clarify with Walmart just what they mean by to the door. Then when they call you to arrange delivery, I would ask the person calling if they are bring it into your house and setting it where you want.

Most time when I have had furniture delivered, They would bring it into the house and set it where we wanted it. Granted I didnt buy it from Walmart, but asking and if needed tipping might all you need to do.

Good Luck.

Rick F.

Not 100% sure but to your door usually refers to your location and yes they will bring it into your room. Tipping is optional but when stairs are involved it is a good gesture. Sometimes company regulations do not allow them to accept tips but it never hurts to offer anyway...

Guest tx2sturgis

Call the shipping company, if you know who it is, and ask if they will bring the items up the flight of stairs to your door. Liability issues notwhithstanding, your door, is YOUR door.

If not, or you cant find out, then go to a u-haul dealer and rent a small appliance truck (dolly), that has the strap and stairglide rollers on it, and have it waiting when the shipment arrives. These rent for about $10 for a day.

If you have that ready for the driver, it will make it easy to strap the items on and pull it up the stairs. The driver will appreciate your effort, and with a small tip, he should be willing to help, or do it for you.

http://www.uhaul.com/RentalItems/

looks like they will come inside and place the items in my living area. this is included in the shipping as walmart hires independent movers to take the items from there site to your place. they will place the items inside. but they do not put the items together. the recliner they will place in the spot where you want it. the rest is up to the buyer. they are paid to do this as it is included in the cost. tipping is up to the buyer. as they are not walmart employees. so looks like the daughter will order online have it sent to my local walmart then from there to myplace. I want to say thanks to everyone for there offer to help haul it upstairs for me. but looks like I am good to go.

James on the furniture that you will have to assemble one thing I have learned that will help is Gorilla Glue. I use it on all the joints when assembling this type of Furniture and feel it adds a lot of strength to the product especially if it's going to be moved later on.