IGNORED

Buying a 2000 MM - High mileage concerns?

PD1313

Hello to all!

Looking to purchase a 2000 MM Venture, it looks great, sounds good, seems to run good. But it has higher mileage than I would like - 125,000km (78,000 miles).

Should I have any concerns? No visible leakage - engine is spotless.

Anything else I should visually check out?

The only really costly item that I would be concerned about would be the rear shock. Look underneath and check the shock for oil residue around the bottom of the shock. that's a sign the shock is leaking fuid and could be about to fail, the run from about 600 to 800 to replace.

brian

I gotta ask how much your paying I've purchased 7 of these in the last 2 years and I just bought a 2003 Midnight Venture with 4500 miles, yes forty five hundred miles for $4600. I'm not a Dealer every one was purchased off Craigs list.The mileage is very high on average out of 7 from a 99 to the newest being a 2004 the highest mileage was 25K If your really concerned about the motor etc.. and the seller has no problem, take it to a dealer or mechanic and have them go through it, get a compression check have them check all the fluids to see if they're fresh etc.. check date on tires. Also check for play in clutch and brake levers and shifter. Here's 2 in Florida to give you an idea what they're going for. Without seeing yours with that kind of mileage I wouldn't pay more than $3500 AT BEST

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/mcy/3811077663.html

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/mcy/3757915802.html

I gotta ask how much your paying I've purchased 7 of these in the last 2 years and I just bought a 2003 Midnight Venture with 4500 miles, yes forty five hundred miles for $4600. I'm not a Dealer every one was purchased off Craigs list.The mileage is very high on average out of 7 from a 99 to the newest being a 2004 the highest mileage was 25K If your really concerned about the motor etc.. and the seller has no problem, take it to a dealer or mechanic and have them go through it, get a compression check have them check all the fluids to see if they're fresh etc.. check date on tires. Also check for play in clutch and brake levers and shifter. Here's 2 in Florida to give you an idea what they're going for. Without seeing yours with that kind of mileage I wouldn't pay more than $3500 AT BEST

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/mcy/3811077663.html

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/mcy/3757915802.html

Your going to pay a little more on this side if the border.

Your going to pay a little more on this side if the border.

yes substantially more in some places, esp in Western Canada it seems. I paid 7500 for my new-to-me 2003 RSV 2 weeks ago, its spotless and has 28k miles on it. (brand new tires and battery, and showed me all the bills since bike was new.)

But for me it was a good deal, it was exactly the bike and colour I wanted and I am very happy with the RSV.

Brian

yes substantially more in some places, esp in Western Canada it seems. I paid 7500 for my new-to-me 2003 RSV 2 weeks ago, its spotless and has 28k miles on it. (brand new tires and battery, and showed me all the bills since bike was new.)

But for me it was a good deal, it was exactly the bike and colour I wanted and I am very happy with the RSV.

Brian

That's about what it books at NADA about $500 more, but, like you guys say they're more expensive up yonder. I just sold a 2003 Midnight Venture with 25K on it for $7000 but it had at least $2000 worth of extra chrome and leather and custom exhaust etc... Ya need to fly down here next time your looking to buy and I'll hook ya up and you can ride back. I've sold bikes to guys in New York, Georgia, Texas and North Carolina they all bought site unseen and rode them back home, Oh I take that back the guy in North carolina bought a Harley from me and we all know ya ain't ridin that 1200 miles ya gotta trailer them.:rotf::rotf:

I don't think that mileage is that bad. As mentioned, as long as it was looked after with regular maintenance you won't have any problems. This is a 4 cyl don't forget, not a vtwin.

As mentioned, check the shock, tires, find out when brake/clutch/coolant were last changed...

Lot of members in the Toronto to Woodstock area. If you haven't seen the post for it yet, you should try to come to Carl's this Saturday to meet some of the members.

http://venturerider.org/forum/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=328&day=2013-5-25&c=1

That's about what it books at NADA about $500 more, but, like you guys say they're more expensive up yonder. I just sold a 2003 Midnight Venture with 25K on it for $7000 but it had at least $2000 worth of extra chrome and leather and custom exhaust etc... Ya need to fly down here next time your looking to buy and I'll hook ya up and you can ride back. I've sold bikes to guys in New York, Georgia, Texas and North Carolina they all bought site unseen and rode them back home, Oh I take that back the guy in North carolina bought a Harley from me and we all know ya ain't ridin that 1200 miles ya gotta trailer them.:rotf::rotf:

I appreciate the offer to save some bucks, but, By the time I take a couple of days off work, fly down, spend a night in hotel and look the bike over, probably pay for a tire or other issue to be fixed and then ride home, I am close to the same price. So, unless its a screaming deal, Ill shop North of the 49th.

(Plus my speedometer has the right reading, kph....)

Brian

I had the same concerns when I bought my 99 in October. Had rou(ghly 70K miles. It was well taken care of and had a lot of upgrades and extras. Have over 80K on it now and no real problems at all. I love it and fully expect it to go well over 100K miles.

I'm curious, do you guys in Canada pay sales tax on used bikes? also what kind of title and registration fees do you pay??? Here in Florida it's about $100 for title & registration plus 7% sales tax

In Ontario buyers pay 13% . The amount is based on the purchase price or the vehicle’s wholesale value, whichever is greater. So if you and the seller cut a deal so you can save some money by telling the government you payed a real cheap price for it. They will check the book value and that is the tax you will pay.

I'm curious, do you guys in Canada pay sales tax on used bikes? also what kind of title and registration fees do you pay??? Here in Florida it's about $100 for title & registration plus 7% sales tax

Here in Sask. We pay 5% on used bikes over a value of 3000 bucks, but I do know some provinces like Alberta where there is no sales tax on new or used. (well no sales tax on anything there really). No title fees here in Sask, but my insurance and registration with complete coverage on collision, liability, loss of work, and medical runs me about 110 a month when I am riding, and about 50 bucks yearly when parked and stored.

Brian