IGNORED

HID

spike13

yes it was plug and play although the connectors for the high beam were a bit loose fitting so i replaced them after getting in writing the seller would honor warranty there is a relay but light comes on with key and stays on when starting overall i felt it was of good quality and was cheaper and brighter than the PIAA super plasma i was running

Barry pretty much plug and play. They are designed to be that way and are. But after some consultations with guys much smarter than me here it was suggested to run it thru a relay (the kit came with it) and also build a seperate on/off switch for the light circuit. The reason being the HID bulb has a "safe" circuit buit into it so if voltage is too low it will shut off. What happens is you turn key on, volts are good. Typicaly you hit starter and voltage drops below "safe" for light it goes off then when bike starts it comes back on. The lights are not really happy with a large amount of this on and off stuff. If you decide its something you want to do somewhere I have the schematic and can build you up an switch with a warning light for when its off. Also I think someone researched a time delay relay that was like 10 seconds after the bike started it would automaticly come on. Which would probably be the slick way to do it. But the HID is killer in the dark dude.

Barry pretty much plug and play. They are designed to be that way and are. But after some consultations with guys much smarter than me here it was suggested to run it thru a relay (the kit came with it) and also build a seperate on/off switch for the light circuit. The reason being the HID bulb has a "safe" circuit buit into it so if voltage is too low it will shut off. What happens is you turn key on, volts are good. Typicaly you hit starter and voltage drops below "safe" for light it goes off then when bike starts it comes back on. The lights are not really happy with a large amount of this on and off stuff. If you decide its something you want to do somewhere I have the schematic and can build you up an switch with a warning light for when its off. Also I think someone researched a time delay relay that was like 10 seconds after the bike started it would automaticly come on. Which would probably be the slick way to do it. But the HID is killer in the dark dude.

i would be interested in either of these preventative features if you had more info

I have now redone my circuit to turn on the HID.

I have it wired so that the first time the brake is applied, it turns on the HID, the HID then stays on till you turn the bike off. I found that even with the blinking red light I was forgetting to turn the headlight on occasionally during bright sunlight. I figure that I will not get far without touching the brakes to turn it on.

Even though i did this on my 1st gen it should be easy to duplicate for a 2nd gen.

OK Jeff you know you have to do a wireing diagrham right? Are you pulling your closed (on) voltage from your brake light for a relay? The 10 second relay would be about the easiest to do I think. You "should" wire in a relay anyways and if you just install the 10 second one your good to go. But your idea definatly has merrit my friend, and could easily be done I thin on mine or someone that has the switch installed.

If someone has a source for the time delay relays post some links would ya please?? Are they available @ autozone or advance auto parts?

OK Jeff you know you have to do a wireing diagrham right? Are you pulling your closed (on) voltage from your brake light for a relay? The 10 second relay would be about the easiest to do I think. You "should" wire in a relay anyways and if you just install the 10 second one your good to go. But your idea definatly has merrit my friend, and could easily be done I thin on mine or someone that has the switch installed.

If someone has a source for the time delay relays post some links would ya please?? Are they available @ autozone or advance auto parts?

Your not trying to keep up with the warped rambling of my poor demented little brain, are you?:whistling:

I am using the same relay setup that I had before with the blinking red light and a pushbutton switch. I just eliminated the push button switch and the led, the wire that used to go to the switch, now goes to the brake light wire with a diode thrown in for good measure. If you forget the diode the brake light will not turn off either, don't ask how I found this out.:whistling:

Not including taking the faring apart to get in there, because I was already in there for something else, it took all of 15 minutes to design and hook up.

I also thought about wiring it to turn on the HID when the neutral light turns off.

I'll have to work on a wiring diagram and parts list.

Here is the info for the time delay relay.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showpost.php?p=736209&postcount=5

Edited by Flyinfool

Another thing to watch out for.

I can not tell for sure from the pics, but it appears that the power for the HID is coming from the headlight circuit on the bike. The HID that I have pulls a starting surge of 15 amps for just a split second to initially light the bulb, then drops down to 3A to keep it lit. That 15A surge is hard on the switches in the stock headlight circuit. A stock 60W headlight only pulls 5A.

Most (not all) of the after market HID systems have a separate power lead that goes to the battery for power and a separate ground wire. Mine is fused at 20A. I then added a relay to that power lead so the light does not turn on till I am ready.

OK here is the wiring to use the brake light to activate the HID.

The wiring is pretty simple.

On a 1st gen the brake circuit runs thru the dash so it is easy to tap into, I am not sure where the best place to tap a 2nd gen would be.

Parts

Diode - 1N400x (the x can be any number) available at Radio Shack

Fuse and fuse holder - 20A fuse in your favorite holder.

Relay - SPST NO (this is the standard relay available at any auto parts store.

Assorted wire and terminals.

Don't forget the short wire that goes from terminal 30 to terminal 86 of the relay.

Another thing to watch out for.

I can not tell for sure from the pics, but it appears that the power for the HID is coming from the headlight circuit on the bike. The HID that I have pulls a starting surge of 15 amps for just a split second to initially light the bulb, then drops down to 3A to keep it lit. That 15A surge is hard on the switches in the stock headlight circuit. A stock 60W headlight only pulls 5A.

Most (not all) of the after market HID systems have a separate power lead that goes to the battery for power and a separate ground wire. Mine is fused at 20A. I then added a relay to that power lead so the light does not turn on till I am ready.

My hid kit did not have a relay or separate power wires and would blow the headlight fuse when the light would come on. I added two relays to power the light. I cut the high and low beam wires from the headlight switch. I ran from the battery to the relays and out to the high and low beam wires on the headlight socket. I used the wires from the switch to trigger the relays. And of course put a fuse between the battery and the relays. I know it is not the neatest solution, but it works and used what I had available at the time.

I also wired up the switch/led cutout and it works perfectly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

The signal to start the timer can come from any circuit that goes hot with the key in run.

If you do connect to the headlight circuit then you can keep the HID off by having the HI / LO selector in the position that the relay is not connected to. But that still requires that you remember to turn it on in the daytime.

Jeff, I will be coming down 41 and be in that area late Monday afternoon on my way home from the UP.

There is no internet, or telephone, land line or cell, where I will be in the UP. Just trees and critters and peace and quiet. If you think that later on Monday would be a possibility let me know, I can then call you once I get closer to civilization.

Ride down Sunday or Monday and we can take a look at this if you would like.

Flyinfool? You up for a ride up here to lend a hand? Between the three of us, we could really screw James' bike up.

RR

i do believe that sounds like a great idea i will give you a ring later this week when i have a better idea of when not sure what the honey do list looks like yet

Is this something we can work on as a project??