IGNORED

Who puts my tires on?

rougeray

I read with interest the thread started by foyerboy “Don’t buy from Motorcycle-Superstore.com”. I have to agree with chabicheka that the original topic is done, but I found it also interesting the answers he got from the question he posed which was “Who puts my tires on”. I got tired of dealing with the local Yamaha/Honda dealer in so much as having to make an appointment days in advance to get a tire changed. I must add their tire prices weren’t outrageous but higher than internet based businesses. A drinking buddy of mine is a mechanic at the local BMW motorcycle shop and one night I asked if they would change a tire for me and what would they charge. He said no problem and it would be the hourly rate which I think it is around $85.00 an hour. Through in state and local tax it comes to right at $100.00. That also includes balancing. I have had two rear tires and one front tire changed so far. At no time have I paid more than $105.00. When getting the rear tire changed I do take the saddle bags off so if they do get damaged it’s my fault plus takes about 15 min off the job. So far if I call them a day in advance and make an appointment at 8:00 am (opening time) I will back on the road before 9.

Back in the day when the bikes I owned had center stands, I would change the tires myself. Still have the spoons in my tool box. I’m 62 now and to me it’s not worth the trouble and satisfaction to say “I did it myself.” :stickinouttounge:

I found that stealers try and rob you blind. Try and find a small shop. The best place around here is a small harley shop called "Sandys" they are the best on the planet and dont have the typical Harley "snobbery"

While the big chain harley shop as well as the honda and Yamaha place all will rob you blind. The Yamma dealer will not touch any bike older than 6 years old.

I have access to 2 independent shops who will mount and balance my tires for $25.00. I also live close to Jake Wilson and they will also mount balance and fill with nitrogen for $25.00. I of course have to remove and install the wheel/tire on the bike. One of my friends and I just bought a tire changer so I can now also change my own tires.

Iron Pony in Columbus OH . They have a big service dept that is first come first serve you can make an appt. but if I get there right when they open usually out in an hour. I've done the math before but what they charge will not pay my time and fuel in the truck to take it up there.

Plus they are usually done with the bike before I'm done looking through the store.

How about demounting that tire changer and bringing it with you to Freebird's MD? Twenty-five dollars a pop? I'll supply the tire.:smile5:

Was one there last year. I mounted mine on a piece of Countertop about 4'x4'. Then cut it to fit in corner. Looks great. I'm sure it will be a lot easier to use.