IGNORED

Ham Radio Installation 08 RSTD

GeorgeS

I know we have a few members here, that are also " Ham Radio Ops " !! At least I recall noticing a couple of call signs, here and there, now and then over the last few years.

Anyway, I've been doing the ham radio hobby for about 50 years, and decided to try to include that hobby with the motorcycleing hobby. Not a big deal, just something I decided to try, just to see if I could make it work.

--- My Ham Radio, Call sign is, K7RTF

If your not into Ham Radio, skip the rest of this, as it will be of no interest to you.

If your a Ham radio op, well---- You " might " be interested.

So, after about 18 months of struggling, and re-working the equipment, and installation on the 1st Gen ( now sold ) and the new bike, ( 08 RSTD ) and moving from the first Icom " IC-7000 " Transciever,:depressed::depressed::depressed: ((did not work on motorcycles )) to different Kenwood TS-480 HX, transciever. !!:cool10::cool10::cool10: (( It does work on motorcycles !! )

I finally, got it all working :whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling: ( Well, it seems to be anyway )

So: I now, am fully operational, on 40 Meters, 20Meters, 17Meters, 15Meters, and 10Meters, ( and of course the CB band ) with a Kenwood TS-480HX 200 Watt HF transciever, ( I know, cut power to 5 Watts on the CB band !! )

Also, have installed, an Icom VHF/UHF Transciever the, IC-2720 model radio.

(( Icom 2720, Works great, for most , VHF/UHF repeaters within 30 to 50 mile range, especially on west coast, lots of repeaters on high mountain tops out here on the west coast !! ))

Also, have the Jensen, AM/FM, Industrial radio installed. in the Tank Bag, with the Ham Radio, control heads.

Three control heads, in Tank bag, and the Two T/R Units mounted in Travel bag, at the passenger positon ( Seat removed, replaced with luggage Rack )

I have Two, HF Antenna mounts on rear, ( selectable with push of button on TS-480HX control head ) and VHF/UHF Comet Antenna, up front.

FM Radio Antenna, is built into the Tank Bag, a simple 26 inch wire, snaked thru the tank bag perimiter. ( works good for FM Stations )

Not worrying about the AM radio stations. ( However, the TS-480 covers AM Radio band, if needed )

Also, the Jensen Radio, takes an " Aux " input, for MP-3 Player.

So Far, the two AGM Batteries, seem able to handle the Power Draw, for about 30 Min. of operating , time. ( about 12 to 15 min. transmitt time ) And still Crank the engine with no problem.

I have been testing this with bike in drive way, to see if batteries can handle, about 1/2 hour of operating time on an HF Band, at 200 Watts. So far, So Good !!

The HF Transmitter, is adjustable from 5 to 200 Watts of output.

The VHF Transmitter is 50W VHF, and 35W UHF.

Also, useing an " Unbalanced to Unbalanced" Balun, in line with right side #1 Antenna for 40M and 20M. ( located under TIP, of rear Fender not visable in photo. ) ( A commercial built unit )

I will be replaceing the Odyessy, 7 year old battery in Saddle bag, soon with a new DEKA, but will have to rebuild the Battery Box, for larger size battery.

A few photo's included,

Any hams out there interested, PM me if you want to discuss this installation.

The antennas. are all Home Brew, the antenna mounts, are CB mounts from Radio Shack, with a little extra Aluminum Stock material, and Standard hardware.

The antenna's all come apart, and fit into the Saddle bag, when not in use ! I simply switch the Coils, and the TOP, TIP section. All Antenna parts. are " Home Brew " Coils wound with #12, or #10 wire.

Over night, the Travel Bag, and Tank bag, are quickly removable, so do not have to leave expensive Radio Equipment, sitting in a Motel Parking lot.

Edited by GeorgeS

Nice rig in your portable shack George! Bet you could have a ball on Field Day with it! I unfortunately gave up ham radio when I went into the service back in '67...

Maby time to get back into the hobby, lots of improvements over the years , but ham radio has changed a lot since 67. Amazing improvements in the avialable equipment.

I will be replaceing the Seperate Band antenna's with an " Auto Tune " Antenna sooner or later, that can be used on the M/C or the Car. That will simplify things.

Very impressive! I've done a lot of mobile work over the years but am pretty sure I don't want to do HF while in motion on the bike. I would however, gladly sacrifice the CB to have 2 meters through the headset. When you get that figured out, let us hear from you.

Lynn, KE4DA, 5Z4DU, 5X1HR, YJ8DA, VK4DEY

Currently on short-term assignment in Malindi, Kenya

Guest tx2sturgis

George, its a very impressive set-up.

I have a couple of things to point out.

Do you plan on operating the Kenwood TS-480HX at high power very often? If so, you will be needing the high output stator for your bike. Otherwise, the TS-480 current requirements (45 amps or so during voice peaks) will probably fry your stator and/or regulator, even with the extra battery. The two batteries will act as 'buffers' to some degree, but ultimately, the charging current must come from the stator on the bike.

Also, the distraction level will be high, so respectfully, keep your mind on the task at hand, and dont operate the controls of the radios while in traffic. I suggest you wire in some type of push button or toggle switch switch near your left thumb that cuts all audio when in heavy traffic or in places like school zones and other possibly hazardous places.

Good luck and maybe I will be able to work you on 40, 20, or 17 meters!

:happy34:

Edited by tx2sturgis

George, its a very impressive set-up.

I have a couple of things to point out.

Do you plan on operating the Kenwood TS-480HX at high power very often? If so, you will be needing the high output stator for your bike. Otherwise, the TS-480 current requirements (45 amps or so during voice peaks) will probably fry your stator and/or regulator, even with the extra battery. The two batteries will act as 'buffers' to some degree, but ultimately, the charging current must come from the stator on the bike.

Also, the distraction level will be high, so respectfully, keep your mind on the task at hand, and dont operate the controls of the radios while in traffic. I suggest you wire in some type of push button or toggle switch switch near your left thumb that cuts all audio when in heavy traffic or in places like school zones and other possibly hazardous places.

Good luck and maybe I will be able to work you on 40, 20, or 17 meters!

All safty items are dully noted: !!

Most transmitting will be limited, to cruzing speeds, after I'm out on the open road.

Or, at rest stops, and lunch stops. Put it this way, mobil HF, is 95 percent, listioning, and only 5 percent transmitting time.

Also, I have one more Mod to install, that is a Relay in the Head Light Circuit. So I can simply Cut the Head light OFF, if I'm going to Transmitt for a long period of time.

I might, also change the Head Light, bulb to a HID System, that will lower current draw on the system. I very seldom ride at night !!

System, will recharge between usage, no problem, no different then running the starter.

However of note: I have installed an AGM Dry Cell in my Chev TrailBlazer, ( 740CCA , I think it is ) and have been useing a 500 Watt Amp, for over 12 months. With NO, Battery Issues. I sat in driveway and been in QSO for 45 MIN or longer The new AGM batteries are fantastic !!! ( but , expensive, about $185.00 for the car battery )

Most " Mobil " QSO's are short duration so power drain on the Double AGM batteries is not a problem. ( AGM's are far superior to the old Lead Acid types )

I will be upgradeing the #2 battery to a larger Size 18 ( 1st gen size 340CCA DEKA battery) and if needed will install a 3rd battery in the right side bag , well " maby " .

Two, 1st gen size AGM, DEKA's is 340CCA times Two, plus the Stock AGM another

what is it? about 260 CCA . NO Problem !!

Also, I can eaisly cut transmit power down as low as 10 watts.

----------------

I'm also going to Fabricate, some " Longer Cables ' So I can park at a picnic table, and set up to operate, Portable, and CW. Just need three cables " phone type " one 6 conductor, and one 8 conductor ( RJ_45 )and, CW Key cable. And a mount for the control head on the table. ( Cable set will be, about 12 feet long, This is no big deal. Will get to it this week.

Control head has Speaker, and Earphone plug.

---------------

As to VHF/UHF, its not big deal operating on the move, Scanner stops on live Repeater channels, I just push one button, to lock on, and talk. Also, on long trips, I just select the best Wide Area Coverage Repeater, and stay on that freq. Keeps it simple.

I have all the wide range repeaters on West Coast, programmed in, with access tones.

-------------------------

also, County Hunting--- I am planning on stopping, and running " Rare Counties " for the County Hunters Net. As I mostly just drive around " Aimlessly " on the west coast , I will try to hit some of the " Rare " hard to get Counties, for the county hunters net. That should be interesting. ( Well, something to do , us old retired guys are always looking for a good reason, or excuse, to get the -- &*$@^ ---out of the house :whistling::whistling::whistling:)

One other comment, any Hams out there, the Kenwood, TS-480 HX is a Fantastic piece of radio equipment for operating " Mobil " Car, truck, motorcycle, whatever !!

Don't, buy the Icom IC-7000!!! I did, and --- well------------It has problems !!!

I now have a fantastic spare Receiver, but the transmitter is dead !! Fix, is over $300.0 and at this point no plans to spend that money. ( and I'm not the only one with a dead, IC-7000 !!! lots of info on the internet )

Very impressive! I've done a lot of mobile work over the years but am pretty sure I don't want to do HF while in motion on the bike. I would however, gladly sacrifice the CB to have 2 meters through the headset. When you get that figured out, let us hear from you.

Lynn, KE4DA, 5Z4DU, 5X1HR, YJ8DA, VK4DEY

Currently on short-term assignment in Malindi, Kenya

Two Meters, is Easy!!! ---------- Just get a 50 Watt, VHF/UHF radio, mount it in a tank bag, Run power cable, run Audio into your Music System " Aux " input.

And, mount one VHF/UHF Antenna.

I just use the Hand Microphone. But be sure to get at least a 35 to 50 watt radio.

10 Watts, ain't going to cut it !!

HF, well thats another story !!!

I'm just bummed that the radio makers ignore us. Yaesu had the FTM-10R made for 1 year a radio with a waterproof remote head, but they priced it insane, and the bluetooth for it was wonky at best. and now that it has been discontinued they are going for ridiculous prices on the used market. (Although hams for some reason think they can get retail price for their used gear, one of the reasons I stopped going to hamfests)

I just want a small remote head option that can take getting rained on with an easy mic+PTT interface option.

Icom and Kenwood has no interest in selling to motorcycle riders sadly.

Although I do know a guy that will do CW while riding and driving on 40meters. has a custom made keyer that he straps to his leg.

As for needing 35-50 watts for 2M on the bike... Nope. I do long range QSO's with my 2M all the time from my Handheld that drives a 10 Watt linear that hits the antenna that replaced the FM radio antenna. I get 15-20 miles easy, longer if I hit one of the regional repeaters. I have a 5/8 wave antenna on the back. Talked to a guy in Wisconsin from Michigan last year on 5 watts, Tropospheric ducting is awesome.

Sadly 2Meter AM or Sideband is dead in the midwest unless the ISS is overhead.

Edited by timgray

i have a friend in OH that wants me to get my ham ticket never had time or i didnt have the money its one or the other and never fails i have the time and no money for the ticket testing or equipment but one day i will and ill put it on the bike when i do we have a lot of hammers around here in hurricain country i use to lison the scanner a friend set up for me long time ago George you have a nice set up there i like it

Guest tx2sturgis
Two Meters, is Easy!!! ---------- Just get a 50 Watt, VHF/UHF radio, mount it in a tank bag,!

Uh, no.

50 watt radios these days have tiny heatsinks, and a tiny fan, and wont cool the radio in a tankbag. Unless its winter time, and you leave an opening in it.

Those little radios depend on airflow, and lots of it, to keep the PA module healthy.

You could run it on 5 or 10 watts, and keep the transmissions short, but its still possible to overheat the radio on a warm day with the tankbag acting like a solar panel.

If the radio has a remote face, like the 480, then sure, otherwise, I dont advise it.

Guest tx2sturgis
I'm just bummed that the radio makers ignore us. Yaesu had the FTM-10R made for 1 year a radio with a waterproof remote head, but they priced it insane, and the bluetooth for it was wonky at best. and now that it has been discontinued they are going for ridiculous prices on the used market. (Although hams for some reason think they can get retail price for their used gear, one of the reasons I stopped going to hamfests)

I just want a small remote head option that can take getting rained on with an easy mic+PTT interface option.

I own two of the FTM-10's...one is in my pickup, the 50 watt version, and the 10 watt waterproof model is now mounted on my Ural.

It has AM/FM, Line in, VHF/UHF ham radio, also works as a police and aircraft scanner, and looks cool mounted up on the bars. I mounted the transceiver body in the nose of the tub, still have some work to do to get the wiring as I like it.

But now I'm ready for those marathons and triathlons that I do comms for.

Plus, FM music on the scoot!

Pics to follow: (something happened to the original image links on this post, so I'm trying again with pics hosted in my own dropbox account)

The FTM-10 Yaesu (waterproof) control face mounted on the left handlebar, and the mic has a strong magnet..it will stick on the tank, or the inside of the steel fairing. Yes, it has a thin rubber pad on the magnet.

mNYeJ4Orw05TvRuJ4BjkzFZr2GJGnJyQdf35k8FJ5os?size=1280x960

http://sovietsteeds.com/forums/download/file.php?id=48830&t=1

The speaker mounted on the sidecar. The bolt passes thru and also is the mounting point for the transceiver body, which is inside the nose of the sidecar.

2013-04-27%2015.59.22.jpg

cb9R6WSSkE9SoJxDjjjqqQoLeJPdVmEW4fjjP5BIp9c?size=1280x960

http://sovietsteeds.com/forums/download/file.php?id=48831&t=1

The 10 watt waterproof transceiver mounted in the sidecar. I will be trimming the cables to get rid of the rats nest.

http://sovietsteeds.com/forums/download/file.php?id=48833&t=1HTqMwqYk38IH7ak10FiPYJs3VmPENuLFWbyfX41G0bM?size=1280x960

The antenna on the fender rack...for now...yes, my camera had double vision!

n1xZTR60mRZr7xR8ZTzDbXpbxVVzMX_BoShzLExRO5A?size=1280x960

http://sovietsteeds.com/forums/download/file.php?id=48834&t=1

Two modes, the first is a local FM radio station, the second is a local VHF amateur repeater.

148-G_KMT_dj8LQZugLYhlF18WGnweSkOsAM4sg4HTQ?size=1280x960

http://sovietsteeds.com/forums/download/file.php?id=48835&t=1

http://sovietsteeds.com/forums/download/file.php?id=48836&t=1

QEEb12GhstBE3nqtA7q7XErBA5JXsT9I_qAFHDm3nZI?size=1280x960

The FTM-10 has AM/FM, and line-in, so you can listen to local broadcast radio and an mp3 player if you wanted.

The radio doesn’t receive AM broadcast well, and this I blame on the antenna which is not tuned for that low band stuff anyway.

It will support 2 speakers, if you want stereo on the FM or line-in, and the audio output power is, if memory serves, about 8 watts per speaker. It's not terribly loud, and not what I would call high fidelity, but it does put out enough audio to hear at speeds around town, but once you get up to 50 or 60 mph, its a bit hard to hear. One cool feature though, is that you can set the AF level to respond to exterior motor or wind noise, so that the volume of the music or ham audio will automatically increase once the bike is underway and ...making noise.

You can also set the VHF/UHF to overide the FM/line-in audio if a signal comes in, so you wont miss an important call.

The version I have is 10 watts RF on VHF, 7 on UHF, but this version has the water resistant transceiver body , although the standard 50 watt version could be mounted in the trunk. This is the one I had on hand, so I made use of it.

One more thing, the waterproof hand mic is optional with the FTM-10, since it comes with a mic element built-in to the face of the radio, and a PTT button on the top of the control face. The rugged hand mic I have is included with some units now, but its a bit 'hot' as far as background audio, (even on lowest setting) but you can order an interface to use this radio with a bluetooth headset and/or a wired headset mic/speaker.

Overall I'm pleased with the ability to listen to music on this bike, and also have a way to operate 2 meter/440 locally.

http://sovietsteeds.com/forums/images/smilies/thumb.gif

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

System, will recharge between usage, no problem, no different then running the starter.

However of note: I have installed an AGM Dry Cell in my Chev TrailBlazer, ( 740CCA , I think it is ) and have been useing a 500 Watt Amp, for over 12 months. With NO, Battery Issues. I sat in driveway and been in QSO for 45 MIN or longer The new AGM batteries are fantastic !!! ( but , expensive, about $185.00 for the car battery )

Two, 1st gen size AGM, DEKA's is 340CCA times Two, plus the Stock AGM another

what is it? about 260 CCA . NO Problem !!

I'm also going to Fabricate, some " Longer Cables ' So I can park at a picnic table, and set up to operate, Portable, and CW. Just need three cables " phone type " one 6 conductor, and one 8 conductor ( RJ_45 )and, CW Key cable. And a mount for the control head on the table. ( Cable set will be, about 12 feet long, This is no big deal. Will get to it this week.

Control head has Speaker, and Earphone plug.

One simple way to limit the time that the stator has to work hard, is to install self-resetting circuit breakers (you can buy these at any decent truck and trailer supply) in the feed line from the charging source to the extra battery. A 10 or 15 amp breaker would limit peak current, but cutting off, then cooling, then resetting, so that the stator is not trying to replenish the discharging battery too quickly.

Another, albeit expensive, solution to the current requirements, and the antenna mounting issues, is to pull a 'radio trailer'.

Something like the AlumiLite trailers, with the HF antennas mounted to the trailer, and a small, 800 watt or so, inverter generator, recharging a couple of car batteries, with the Kenwood HF transceiver also mounted in the trailer. These small gensets (which have a 12 volt output for charging batteries) are made by Yamaha and Honda, and lightly sip fuel, while still providing about 800 watts or so. You would of course need to provide fresh air and exhaust ventilation if mounted inside the trailer.

This solution off-loads the battery weight, antenna farm, and current requirements onto the trailer chassis, and can be disconnected easily during times such as overnights in a repair facility and other situations.

Route the control and audio cables forward, with connectors, to the bike, with the control head mounted as you see fit.

With enough time, motivation, and of course, money, dang near anything is doable!

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-EF1000iS-4-Stroke-Generator-Compliant/dp/B002RWK9LY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1367242613&sr=8-2&keywords=yamaha+generator]Amazon.com: Yamaha EF1000iS 1,000 Watt 50cc OHV 4-Stroke Gas Powered Portable Inverter Generator (CARB Compliant): Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41a6%2B2%2BibrL.@@AMEPARAM@@41a6%2B2%2BibrL[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/IN1000I-2-Stroke-Portable-Inverter-Generator/dp/B002VWL22U/ref=pd_sim_sbs_lg_5]Amazon.com: ETQ IN1000I 1,000 Watt 63.1cc 2-Stroke Gas Powered Portable Inverter Generator: Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41dbyL9OU8L.@@AMEPARAM@@41dbyL9OU8L[/ame]

http://www.mowersatjacks.com/images/Honda/EU1000i/honda-eu1000i-main-lg.jpg

http://www.mowersatjacks.com/Product-Details/HONDA/655500?gdftrk=gdfV26806_a_7c392_a_7c957_a_7cEU1000i

Edited by tx2sturgis

I guess I'm really behind times, I just carry my HT in the trunk...:sign20:

Ht works just fine, I used the IC-2720 simply cause thats what I had, I can move it from base, to car, and now the M/C

Depends on where you travel, and what repeaters you want to use.

West coast repeaters, lots of them on high Altitude Mts, and they have 50 to 75 mile range. With 50 Watts, I have used them up to over 75 miles. We have lots of repeaters on west coast, that are up at 5000 to 6000 feet on mountains. Fantastic Range on them !! Portland Or. has one on Mt. Hood, good for 75 mile Radius, Easy !!

I know, back east on the flat lands, about 45 miles is the limit, for repeaters, no matter how much power your transmitter has.

However, " IF " your going to buy a new VHF rig, I highly reccomend 35 to 50 watt, as cost is not that much higher, for the extra power rateing, and the new equipment now is very compact, even for a 50 watt unit.

A detachable control head works great, put T/R in Trunk, and control head in your tank bag.

As far as " Rain " I'm not worried about that, as if its raining, I'm not going to be useing the radio anyway, and it gets put away. !! Concentrate, on driveing !!! Have covers for tank bag, and travel bag, anyway if needed.

------------------------------------------------

Few more comments, as to " Battery Draw " or Transmit time worries, for useing extra Radio Equipment.

The 2nd Gen, AGM Bats, are 300 CCA with about 18 to 20 Amp hour rateings.

IF you are only useing 10 to 35 Watt VHF, you will have NO Problem, with just the one stock AGM battery, !!! You are not going to spend that much time transmitting. !!! Also, installing a Head light cut off Relay, and turning OFF the head light when useing the radios, will eaisly solve the problem for 10 to 35 watt radios.

For higher power, HF set up " IF " thats what you want to do, simply install a 2nd battery in one saddle bag. ( Its No Big Deal, easy to do )

Two, size 20L AGM batteries gives you 600 CCA, and almost 40 amp hours of draw, Also remember, that a 100 Watt, SSB HF transmitter, the draw is about equal to 50 Watts, FM from a VHF Rig.

So--- the two batteries will eaisly handle it. Plus if you kill the head light, ( with a relay ) thats about 15 Amps of draw from the system you have eliminated,

-------- A 100 Watt SSB transmitter, draws only about 20 AMPS !!!

You DON"T need an Inverter , mounted in a trailer. However for Over night camping, or extended periods of operating, " Yes " that would work great. If I did camping, I would do that. But I'm a Motel -6 type of guy !!

Or put it this way----------

With TWO size 20 AGM's, ( stock 2nd gen bateries ) ( 600 CCA ) and a normaly operating 2nd gen charging system, you could operate a TS-480HX 200 Watt, SSB transmitter, for lets say 10 to 15 min. of transmitting time in a given hour of traveling down the road !!!

Realistly !!! Thats about the maximum time you would have the Mic keyed, even if you were operating 100 percent of the time you are driveing down the road. All day long.

Also, you can change your tail, and running lights to LED's , that helps.

You can change your headlight to a HID system, that helps.

You can install a Relay, to Cut the Head light , Off, ( IF legal in your state ) that helps (15 amps less draw )

Another angle on all of this, is, Simply, you will not be rag chewing, as you do, on your base station, with the mic, keyed, 30 min. out of an hour, !! NOT Mobil, it just don't happen.

Your going to be lucky to snag, 2 or 3 QSO's during an hour of driveing time, an most likley you will only have the mic keyed, a total of 10 Min. during those 3 QSO's !!! This is far less total power draw, from your battery, then just haveing the head light on, for an hour !! SO:, Just turn OFF the head light !!!

IF operating at a portable set up, useing CW, you can cut the power to 30 to 50 watts, No problem operating for a hour of so, with TWO AGM's at that power level,

TWo 2nd Gen, AGM's Equals , 600 CCA 40 amp hours

Three 2nd Gen AGM's Equals, 900 CCA and 60 amp hours ( If you are really serious about this !! )

Its not that hard, to install a # 2 Battery in the left saddle bag !!! No Big Deal !!!!

Edited by GeorgeS

With the TS-480HX installed, I'm not drawing anymore Amperage, then the guys out there that are running TWO extra 35 Watt Driveing lights, Full time !!

Those lights run 100 percent of the time, I'm only going to be transmitting at most, 25 percent of the time, and most likley, only for 3 or 4 hours during an 8 hour drive.

Its NOT, a problem, with two AGM, batteries,

And, of course, there is still the 55 AMP, Stator Upgrade !!! I will get to that sooner or later

Guest tx2sturgis
With the TS-480HX installed, I'm not drawing anymore Amperage, then the guys out there that are running TWO extra 35 Watt Driveing lights, Full time !!

Those lights run 100 percent of the time, I'm only going to be transmitting at most, 25 percent of the time, and most likley, only for 3 or 4 hours during an 8 hour drive.

Its NOT, a problem, with two AGM, batteries,

And, of course, there is still the 55 AMP, Stator Upgrade !!! I will get to that sooner or later

The stock stator has a max rating of about 30 amps, roughly 360 watts, and thats at 5000 RPM or so. At half that RPM, the amperage output could be as low as 10-15 amps.

It's the peak current demands that might take out the stator and/or regulator, spikes of 30 to 50 amps that the radio is capable of that can melt stator winding insulation, and fry regulator diodes.

FWIW, I would never compromise safety by cutting out the daytime headlight, unless I had maybe LED or HID driving lamps, to help with visibility to all the brain-dead cagers out there. I would, however, look at adding a switch to the carb heaters, they draw 60 watts whenever the temps go below about 60 degrees, and arent really necessary until temps go to freezing or below, in humid cold weather. It takes a rare set of circumstances to freeze our carbs. (long downhill coast, no throttle, humid weather, some water in the fuel, and usually, very cold) The heaters are there for that one time in 5 or 10 years it might happen.

Well I wish you good luck on all this...hopefully I'm wrong. It has been known to happen. I didnt intend to create a debate, its just something that needed to be addressed, and if a couple of large batteries will do the job for you, then who am I to argue?

Again, good luck, and I will be watching, and listening on the bands. :happy34:

Brave man, $1200 worth of goodies in a tank bag. scary thought for me.

My wife and I both have the FTM10 on our bikes, and with our "optional" 4 foot glass whip we have logged bike to bike at 20 miles. Repaters 40 miles are easy enough with that antenna but I just don't like it so i don't use it often. I have a couple of the small comet dual band antenna on the bike normally. Built an interface for the helmet headset(stock 5pin DIN) so my helmet works on the Vulcan or my Yamaha(if I ever get title straightened out so i can ride it again). Feed a sirius in the line-in port and you have the audio world at your fingertips.

HF on a bike would for me be too much distraction, no place to hang my 80m 154 foot long skyloop.

Brave man, $1200 worth of goodies in a tank bag. scary thought for me.

My wife and I both have the FTM10 on our bikes, and with our "optional" 4 foot glass whip we have logged bike to bike at 20 miles. Repaters 40 miles are easy enough with that antenna but I just don't like it so i don't use it often. I have a couple of the small comet dual band antenna on the bike normally. Built an interface for the helmet headset(stock 5pin DIN) so my helmet works on the Vulcan or my Yamaha(if I ever get title straightened out so i can ride it again). Feed a sirius in the line-in port and you have the audio world at your fingertips.

HF on a bike would for me be too much distraction, no place to hang my 80m 154 foot long skyloop.

Well it all depends on the " current " Radio Propegation conditions. All hams know that.

As far as the " cost " well, after working 55 years, and retired at 70, yrs old, I'm going to do what is fun, for whatever years I have left. Hi Hi !! Plus the rig, doubles in the Car, and its a 2nd rig for base station. ( also, it sets up on the work bench in the garage in about 10 Min. ) ( the TS-480 is very versitile )

As to the Antenna performance, I have found the shorter antenna's on the M/C is not as good as the larger mobil antenna's on the car, But they work, I have made lots of QSO's !! I also park along the Pacific Ocean, next to salt water. Its Amazing how that works !! You don't need 80 METERS !!! I skip that completly. On 40 Meters, I have been checking into nets on west coast for the last 12 months, with 100 W from the M/C set up. No problem !!

Also, I do a lot of rideing at high Altitudes, in the Western Mt. Range's. Great for Ham radio !!!

Theft ??? thats why the equipment is mounted in travel bags, Quickly removable, at night, takes about 15 min. The antenna's are all Hardware Store Junk, no big deal if they get stolen.

I have Audio, to the Helmet, but Use the Hand Mic's to talk. Have not figured out yet, how to set up a High Quality Mic, for the helmet, But I am looking into that.

I'm researching, if I can Install a " Heil " Mic element, in a J + M Helmet set up.

I have also found that most of my mobil ops from the car have been on 20M and 17 M.

17M is a very good band for Mobil operations.

And, if I hear sombody I really want to talk to, I just pull over and stop !! I'm very seldom in a hurry to get somplace, ( I leave the wife at home !!! ) that helps !! :whistling::whistling::whistling: