IGNORED

1999 venture

boncrs

I'm looking to purchase a 99 venture, the bike is in very good condition as fr as I can see, sounds good no noises in the engine. the bike has 155000 km on it, what is the average km's for ventures. the owner says maintenance and repairs have always been kept up, with him being a mechanic he says he's a bit picky. his asking price is $5600, the only other option that I would want that I don't see with the bike is a drivers back rest. Looking for a little knowledgeable input

I'm looking to purchase a 99 venture, the bike is in very good condition as fr as I can see, sounds good no noises in the engine. the bike has 155000 km on it, what is the average km's for ventures. the owner says maintenance and repairs have always been kept up, with him being a mechanic he says he's a bit picky. his asking price is $5600, the only other option that I would want that I don't see with the bike is a drivers back rest. Looking for a little knowledgeable input

Price sounds reasonable for the stated condition and KM on the bike in your area. They are cheaper across the border (Big surprise there, right?). If by average KM you mean "How many KM is the motor good for?", then the answer is that this one is barely broken in. Remember, this is basically the 147 HP Vmax de-tuned to about 97 HP. In other words, it's very understressed. They hold up about as well as the Goldwing motors, with plenty of examples having over 250,000 trouble free KM. Just be sure to follow the oil change recommendations and use good quality oil and filters (No ... I will not recommend and oil or filter. I won't be responsible for starting that argument again. No, no!) There are some known weaknesses that may or may not have been addressed by the PO. Go to the Technical Library section under the 2nd gen section for "known problems". Good luck and welcome to the asylum ... but don't worry ... were all much better now!!!

Andy

Just be sure to follow the oil change recommendations and use good quality oil and filters (No ... I will not recommend and oil or filter. I won't be responsible for starting that argument again. No, no!) Good luck and welcome to the asylum ... but don't worry ... were all much better now!!!

Andy

Ha Ha HE SAID OIL, HA HA and FILTERS, HAHA:rotf::rotf::rotf:

:big-grin-emoticon:

I bought a 99 about 7 months ago. I to was worried about the miles on it. It had about 70K miles (113000 KM). I now have almost 85K miles 7 months later and have only had minor issues. The worst problem was an electrical issue. Easy fix, but just a pain figuring out what it was. And really nothing that could have been 100% avoided. It is older and will have stuff crap out once in a while. But mine still has plenty of power and runs excellent. And other than the sport tourers and sport bikes I have owned, it outruns any cruiser or touring bike I have owned.

I just purchased a 1999 venture from a gentleman in Illinois with 22000 miles on it for $4500. It had brand new Dunlop E3 tires and the maintenance records for the last few years. You should be able to shave some off the asking price if it needs tires or the rear shock as mentioned.

Maybe could be that a former member here owned that one,,, any comments Hal?

Or send Hal a PM. Halrsv99

That one is not mine but if he is interested in a comparison mine is for sale and a 99 also. So give me a PM and we can chat. Got the new bike Friday. Even though I'm not on here much I'm still a member Carl. ;)