IGNORED

Windshield Advice

garyw

I am looking to provide more protection for the passenger. Can anyone recommend a windshield size or brand that will reduce the buffeting for the passenger? I'm hoping that if I can make it more comfortable my wife will go on longer rides. Also, has anyone experienced any handling issues by going to a larger windshield? Thanks

I just have a stock shield and I have a hard time on colder mornings withe the shield fogging I am 6'3" but can't see over a stock shield I have thought about going a little shorter so I had vision over the shield never thought how it would affect my wife. With taller shield how do you deal with fog or rain?

I have pretty much used oversize windshields on all the Ventures I've had.

I prefer them to the standard size and I've never had a short one.

You're right I cannot see over the windshield and that's fine for me, I always look through it even in the rain. If you keep it waxed you can see through it in the rain.

The fog is another issue especially if the fog builds up on the windshield, then I have problems. I usually just stop until conditions change. If it's not to bad I reach over the windshield and try to keep it wiped clean.

The wife really likes the oversized windshield but she's asleep most of the time anyway.:whistling:

BOO

I am looking to provide more protection for the passenger. Can anyone recommend a windshield size or brand that will reduce the buffeting for the passenger? I'm hoping that if I can make it more comfortable my wife will go on longer rides. Also, has anyone experienced any handling issues by going to a larger windshield? Thanks

We have the largest windshield Clearview makes on our 06-RSV. According to my wife, this windshield provides far more protection for the passenger than the stock windshield.

The only downside is that I'm not tall enough to see over the windshield in the rain. This really hasn't been much of an issue. I keep the windshield liberally covered in Pledge furniture polish as this helps it shed rain and bugs.

IMHO, the extra large windshield has not induced or imposed any handling issues even at high speeds in high cross winds.

I have the largest that F4 makes. Im 6 3 and look through the glass. Easy to clean. No scratches. Vented.

Search F4 shield for some more I have written.

Well pleased. Wife claims 0 buffeting.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Just have to share. 07 RSV and just installed a baggershield. - 10.5 inch shorty with 6" extension that piggy backs the shorty when not in use- anyway I was worried my wife wouldn't like the extra wind on the freeway. Took it out for a short breakfast ride this morning and she said " I like the shorty- feels more like riding a motorcycle than the stock shield".

Go figure!

VentureFar...

Ps it is not necessarily height this sends the wind over the passenger / or around, it is the lip at the top. Have you seen Corbin's weird shield ?

http://www.corbin.com/fairings_m.shtml

It isn't tall at all and yet nothing touches you.

Edited by VentureFar

Went with the tall/wide F4 Customs for exactly the same reason you asked about. Backseat passenger reports very favorably about wind buffeting. Keeping the vent at least cracked seems to make it better yet. Maybe it pressurizes the "bubble", making it extend farther back.

• 2 years later...
Guest byekryam

I am looking for a replacement windshield for my bike. It has an extra large windshield with double creased sides. I found it once online but can't seem to locate it again. Any ideas?photo7.jpgBest pick I have. Thanks, Woody

Please edit your profile and add your bike year and model to the custom title area. Then it will show right under your username and we will know what bike you are talking about. It appears that you are talking about the first gen and it sounds like you probably have the Precision Plastics shield. Here is a link to their website but they don't have a Venture shield listed any longer. You might send them an email and ask.

http://www.precisionlexan.com/default.asp