IGNORED

Oil filter removal

dwatson636

I did my first oil change today on the RSTD. I had an issue with getting the filter off. It was on really tight. I ended up punching a screw driver thru it to loosen it up. What do you guys use to remove the filter? I have an end cap thing that my socket wrench goes into to turn it, but it will not fit. Not enough room. Suggestion please.

Thanks

Dave

My youngest son bought me a "strap wrench" called a Cobra one year for my birthday when he was like 12 or 13. It had a plastic handle and a rubber strap, it fits all kinds of oil filters on cars and bikes. Never had an oil filter it would not remove and it probably cost him $10.

My Yamaha dealer used a oil filter strap wrench with a belt type strap. After he loosened the filter, I performed all subsequent oil changes. I use a oil filter socket to loosen and tighten the oil filter, being sure not to use too much force.

If your filter socket uses a ratchet, you might try a breaker bar instead. I know with my filter socket, that works better. Sometimes I also put the socket on the filter, then put the break bar in the socket.

May I add, I never use a wrench installing a filter.... hand is all you need in my opinion.

Yelp that all I do and not to tight at that. Still sometimes I have to use the old screwdriver.

BOO

There wasn't enough room for the socket. I also only hand tighten the filter ad well.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Have enough room with Yamaha oil filters and a box wrench over the nut attached to the socket. Believe me, I am very careful not to overtighten the oil filter with socket. As long as filter comes off easy, I'm happy.

Yelp that all I do and not to tight at that. Still sometimes I have to use the old screwdriver.

BOO

Had a neighbor who put a screwdriver through his truck oil filter and proceeded to tear the oil filter. Thought he could drive to the service station on the corner for help. That was a costly mistake.

I have one of the Pennzoil plier type oil filter wrenches. Find it easier than using the other types of oil filter wrenches with bands that go around the filter.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4420134

The phrase "grip it and rip it" comes to mind. No slippage or trying to get a handle in the right position to tighten a band around the filter.

I have one of the Pennzoil plier type oil filter wrenches. Find it easier than using the other types of oil filter wrenches with bands that go around the filter.

The phrase "grip it and rip it" comes to mind. No slippage or trying to get a handle in the right position to tighten a band around the filter.

I've used the same style wrench for years with no trouble.

Keith

I bought one of these when I installed the spin on adaptor on my '84 because of the cross member in front of the filter. Perfect. Haven't found very many other filters I can't get to with this one. Handy tool.