IGNORED

Barnett Clutch question

I ordered and received the Barnett Clutch kit (lots of VR.org searches/reads/photos). I matched up the part numbers to the Barnett site to ensure I have the correct kit. I looked at the posted photos of the installation available on VR.org including the pic with the "notches" and the "two dots". My plates do not have notches, so I became suspicious. I also read on VR.org that the Barnett clutch does not have notches and they are not "necessary" to line up as shown on those photos.

So, my question(s).....

1. If there are no notches to line up, does that mean that the discs are in position correctly pretty much anyway you pick them up and set them into place?

2. Clutch drain, I'll be doing an oil change at the same time of course so is the clutch drain another step that needs to be done? If so then what/how exactly is a clutch drain done?

I'm not having any problems (knock on wood) with the clutch at about 30K but before we take the trike with the extra weight, passenger, luggage etc to STAR Days, I want to "git r done". :)

I did a complete Barnett swap and

1) I didn't see any markings on the Barnett disks (clutch) and put them in just like the OEM came off in the same order and lined them up.

2) Oil change during I would if possible jack the bike up put it on a stand (Carbon-one has the best I have seen) then drain the oil and swap out the clutch than replace the oil. I didn't see or know of a second drain on the Gen II for the transmission.

As a side note wait until the first time you power through the gears and you will be asking yourself why didn't you do this sooner.

You can also swap the clutch out with out draining the oil and using the side stand. The oil all flows to the opposite side away from the clutch so you can change it without draining / loosing oil.

Just so you know, the same oil is used for the motor, clutch and transmission. Drain one, you've drained them all. Now there is a screw at the bottom of the middle gear cover that lets out oil if removed so there is a wee bit left in the transmission when you do an oil change, but not enough to worry about.

Just wanted to say that I love my barnett clutch conversion...well worth the money and like it was said above, when you twist the throttle to get on it you will feel it...vroom vroom:):cool10::080402gudl_prv:

I bought mine new through a dealer in Ohio...I can not remember what the name of the place is but I think I saw it on here somewhere...Sorry this was not much help.

Just wanted to say that I love my barnett clutch conversion...well worth the money and like it was said above, when you twist the throttle to get on it you will feel it...vroom vroom:):cool10::080402gudl_prv:

I bought mine new through a dealer in Ohio...I can not remember what the name of the place is but I think I saw it on here somewhere...Sorry this was not much help.

If you got it from a dealer in Ohio, it was probably here: http://www.buckeyeperformance.com/products.htm

Chief, I did do a complete Barnett Clutch replacement on my '06 RSMTD, including all plates, and the new pressure plate from Barnett.

Here is the info on the metal and friction plates:

1986-13XVZ13 Venture, Royal Star

401-90-089050(7)***511-90-10002*302-90-20037

**306-90-20082*Friction Plate Kit **Friction & Steel Plate Kit ***Spring Conversion Kit

I do remember that when I installed my Barnett plate kit, there were in fact a set of notches on the outside edge of the friction plates. All of the new friction plates had one of the outside lugs that had 2 notches in it, (2 notches made it look like it had 3 points sticking up...at that one tab or lug)

I lined up all the friction plates so that all the tabs/lugs that had the 2 notches were in the same spot.

Also, on the metal plates, there was a dot...and I linjed up all the metal plates so that the dots were all in the same place.

I ordered my Barnett Kit from Amazon, via a vendor on their site. When all was done, the new Barnett clutch made a big difference.

:backinmyday:

I did make sure that the kits were the same item numbers as shown on the Barnett website for the 2009 Venture. They do match. They do NOT have the notches. I have read a couple of posts that indicate they are not necessary. I sure hope so! Since the plates are all identical (except that one odd one) I really don't see a need to place them in any specific position.