IGNORED

air suspension readings

Hi All

I have a 2011 RSV. I brought a digital gauge with a longer hose for the tire air pressure cheks. When I check the suspension levels on both a manual and digital gauge I don't get a reading. I've tried to make sure i've pressed firm and equally to get a good seal but no avail. I do get readings however when I check the tire air pressures.

My question is do I need a certain type gauge to check the suspension air pressure, or am I possibly not getting a good seal, or is it possible i have little to no air pressure in the shocks and need some.

The ride feels loose in the turns on the front and the rear seams low (i don't know, new to air suspension) and sometimes lose. Im running dunlop 404s with 40psi in both the front and the back.

Are there any ideas what I could be doing wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Vince

Probably no air in the shock, put some in and try again. You should get a progressive suspension air pump , it has a gauge and is necessary for putting air in the front forks (7PSI max) in forks. Like [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Suspension-GP3-60-0-60-Gauge/dp/B000WJEORY]Progressive Suspension GP3-60 '0-60 PSI' Mini Gauge Pump : Amazon.com : Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31wpFe8VjpL.@@AMEPARAM@@31wpFe8VjpL[/ame] one.

Edited by ragtop69gs

Vince

Use the purpose built hand pumps for checking and adjusting the air pressure in the front forks and the rear suspension. These have zero loss valvles on the connection so you can be sure where you set the presure that is what it is. Also because they are low volume hand operated pumps you do not have to worry about over inflating the forks or rear shock.

The factory recomends that 0 psi be used in both the front and the rear, but many riders are keeping at least some presure in both.

The max on the front is 7 psi and the left and right side need to be exactly the same or you will have handling problems.

The max on the rear is 57 psi.

• 2 months later...

You need with a one way valve in it and lots buy a hd pump, with a bike pump from a big box as u take it off you will loose pressure. If you over pump it you have to remove the pump and push the center of the valve to release. Fronts are 7psi max. Also a way to pump up your tires.

• 7 months later...
As you load the bike with luggage and a passenger the suspension will compress. Your 4.5 inches of travel will become much less. The air pressure will bring things back to normal.

So does 7# in the front and 40# in the rear - solo - raise the bike or just not allow as much compression - sort of air "preload" ?

Thanks

VentureFar...

I weigh 235lbs and have my bike set up as follows with great handling.

Ft=36lbs

Rt=40lbs

Fforks=2lbs

Rshock=40lbs

It is a bit stiff when riding solo but perfect when 2up.

Like they said above, use the handpump for the forks and rear shock so that you dont blolw them out.

:canada: