IGNORED

New Tire Selection - Need Help

As I posted I got a flat on my Kenda Challenger rear tire which I am going to have patch plugged. The reason is that it is practically new, plus I also bought a new Kenda Kruz front tire to match. The Kenda tires are ok but they are noisy.

Now I also have a complete set of rims from my parts bike. (they have very old Metzlers on them). So I have decided to buy a complete NEW set of tires & mount them on THOSE rims.

With only these criteria, what would you guys recommend for an MK1

1. I want a quiet, comfy ride (that old time Cadillac feel)

2. I want stability (a solid feel)

3. Good wet weather traction (although I am a fair weather rider, trips may catch rain.)

Price is not an issue as the Mrs has told be to get what is best. (her actual words were, I want the same confidence I have in the car's Michelin Tires).

So, for all of you 1st Gen owners who have taken this road before, what do you recommend???

I went on the advice of my Yamaha dealer, and went with the Dunlop Elite III's. The front tire was 179 and the rear was 175. Now they said these tires were rated for the size of the bike, have great longevity and were good overall. Mileage 20,000+ easy. Had them on for a year now, hardly any wear on the tread, I cannot notice any sound from them. So, check these out, they work for my 84'. :080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv:

I have E3's on my 89 VR and agree with Daitan. I am also a fair weather rider (mostly) except for Don's MD last year when Marcarl brought that deluge with him from Canada!!

Anyway, mine are two years old and still look new. About 6,000 miles on them. They seem to ride good, but that is subjective in my mind, and I have always had Dunlops, so I don't have any reference to compare to other tires. I am sure there are other tires out there that ride softer than E3's and handle better because of softer rubber compound , sidewall flex, etc., I just have not used them. And I don't really have a reason to change to a different brand unless there is a problem with Dunlop. BTW, I consider myself an average rider. I don't usually scrape the pegs in the twisties.

Jim

Have an Avon Venom in front and EIII Rear. Put Avon on first and was going to put an Avon on rear after the EII wore out. Then found that some people on this site had sidewall cracking issues with the Avons so I bought an EIII for rear. The fact that the EIII was less money didn't hurt either. Both tires seem to wear well and wet weather traction is good. The EIII is better than half gone and is starting to make a little noise in corners but it does not bother me. I will probably buy EIIIs next time. Avon would be my second choice.

Edited by jeff1
clarification

Another few quick question,

I'm assuming that I should get Bias Play not Radial for the Gen 1 right?

now about size. My current tires say

Front 120/90-18

Rear 140/90-16

Is that translated to

Front MR90

Rear MU90

Just want to make sure I order the right tires.

would the shinko 230 be a decent tire? cant afford eIIIs right now btw the tires on the bike are 19 years old! dont look too bad cracked a little between the tread i know, i know got to get new ones lol. po put looks like lithium grease on the sidewalls preserved them at least no cracks anyway BUT they are old, thanks!

would the shinko 230 be a decent tire? cant afford eIIIs right now btw the tires on the bike are 19 years old! dont look too bad cracked a little between the tread i know, i know got to get new ones lol. po put looks like lithium grease on the sidewalls preserved them at least no cracks anyway BUT they are old, thanks!

Terry, I can't attest for Shinkos but if they are like the Kendas they are decent. My choice is for cushy. BUT a 19 year old tire NO MATTER HOW PRISTINE THEY LOOK is a disaster waiting to happen. Rubber composition breakes down over time. Most riders will change tires that are 8 years old. (that seems to be the max life) If the rubber on those tires fail, especially at highway speeds...well use your imagination.

NEW low end tires are better than having older tires.

Change them & quick!

Another few quick question,

I'm assuming that I should get Bias Play not Radial for the Gen 1 right?

now about size. My current tires say

Front 120/90-18

Rear 140/90-16

Is that translated to

Front MR90

Rear MU90

Just want to make sure I order the right tires.

What is the group opinion on Bias ply versus radial?

I am getting ready to buy my first E3 for the back of my 86 and I would have thought that radial was the preferred type.

Also is Andy correct in his conversion? Is the MU90 the correct size?

Not that I doubt you Andy!

Ray

Ray I got this conversion sheet from one of the online vendors. I wasn't sure about the sizes either. Sunrise Yamaha in Norfolk confirmed it, so it's cool.

No offense taken, my rule is always measure twice cut once.

From what I have gathered, the E3 is as close to a radial tire as we can get. They say,...

"Features a tire profile modeled after the shape of modern radial-construction tires and with many of the same benefits" I like mine alot.:cool10:

From what I was told by several sources is that you should stick to the OEM type ply.

"Bias and radial tires have significantly different dynamic properties. They deflect differently, create different cornering forces, have different damping characteristics, as well as other differences. In order for radial tires to be introduced into the two-wheel market, it was necessary to change certain characteristics of the motorcycle. The introduction of the radial tire led to such things as modified frames, new steering geometries and suspensions. Therefore, it is recommended that a motorcycle be used with the type of tire construction that it came with originally. If a change is to be made, then it should only be done if the motorcycle or tire manufacturer has approved the change. Above all, do not mix bias ply and radial tires on the same motorcycle."

Well my parts bike gave up her rims easily. Checked the bearings & they are good.

Now I need to clean up the rims before I get the new E3's mounted on them.

At least I can keep riding until I do the swap over, Plus I will have a spare set of mounted tires on hand!