IGNORED

1974 Norton 850 Commando

Miles

Hey family members, I am searching high and low, that means from Alaska to Florida, for a 1974 Norton 850 Commando, Roadster model, preferably in Black or Red.

If any of you hear of one, see one, find one, please PM me, as I want to buy one.

That was my first BIG bike, and I would like to get one, preferably a rolling chassis, a bike that runs good, and do some of the final restoration items myself.

Yes, I have already seen what Baxters in Iowa has.

Please let me know what you find.

Thanks, :backinmyday:

Check out www.inoanorton.com. I also started on a Norton a 1969 Fastback Commando bought new in 1970.

Also checkout The Classic Bike Experience www.classicbikeexperience.com/

www.nortonclub.com/

www.socalnorton.com/

www.cnoc.org/

There are many more listings for Norton owner's clubs just google Norton Owner's clubs

Someone in one of these maybe can put you on to a the Norton you want.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't know if you are still looking but I came across this one. http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/3650761606.html

Wade, thanks for the tip...BUT...it is an Interstate model of the 850 Commando, and it is yellow. That means I would have to buy a Roadster tank, and paint the entire bike either black or red.

I appreciate the lead, but I will continue to look.

:backinmyday:

Celt, I will have to take a ride up to Barbours, and have a look. I agree that Barbours are usually a lot higher priced than other shops. That Black '74 Norton 850 Commando is an Interstate model, meaning...it has the large fuel tank. Okay, usually I would go for a largere fuel tank, as I seem to always add an aux. fuel tank to most of my bikes. But...in the case of a '74 Norton, I would relish the idea of stopping more often than I normally do, and getting off the bike. And, it would be used for more local rides, and not long distance. The Roadster model, which is what I had back in late '73 has the smaller tank, and looks better. It is easy to change tanks though.

The other Norton they have, that '69 750 Commando S, in Red, with Scrambler pipes...that is a must see in person. I will have to call Boarbours and see what they want for that one.

Thanks for the tip,

They are fast bikes for sure. A buddy had a 850 back in the early 70's. Don't know what year his was but was clocked on radar doing 140mph. LEO couldn't believe it but wrote him up for 10 over anyhow. LOL

I remember him having a lot of oil leaks too.

Larry

Give em a call Miles, i havent been down at British Import for a coupla years now (sold my Triumph to my son in law,but i do watch their site regularly for my next Triumph :whistling: hope the wife aint reading this) as i remember it, they wanted 20gs for that 74. rebuilt from ground up etc etc. an yes that 69 is ssseeeexxxxx eh ,shudder to think how much they want for that . there is a place on Vancouver Island that sells classics ,thought i kept a link to it but unfortunately i didnt ,but ill keep lookin for ya no matter how difficult it becomes llookin at old Brit iron :rotf:

heres the Van Isle place http://www.internationalclassicmotorcycles.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=d274675617ecad9c432748c2c20f6268&Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=ICM&Category_Code=MCFS

and heres a few other potentials http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/search/mca?zoomToPosting=&altView=&query=norton&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=

Edited by Celt

I know I know, not exactly what we are looking for here, but still, a 73 750 commando.

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/mcy/3650125055.html

Thanks for the tip. That bike is really a 1972 Norton. He calls it a 1973, but...it is a 1972. In 1973 all Norton Commandos were increased to 828cc, and were called 850's. It may have been a late 72, possibly titled as a 73, but...a real collector would know.

Thanks,

Give em a call Miles, i havent been down at British Import for a coupla years now (sold my Triumph to my son in law,but i do watch their site regularly for my next Triumph :whistling: hope the wife aint reading this) as i remember it, they wanted 20gs for that 74. rebuilt from ground up etc etc. an yes that 69 is ssseeeexxxxx eh ,shudder to think how much they want for that . there is a place on Vancouver Island that sells classics ,thought i kept a link to it but unfortunately i didnt ,but ill keep lookin for ya no matter how difficult it becomes llookin at old Brit iron :rotf:

Celt, I did call Barbours today, and they do want 20k for the '74 Black one, and they also want 20k for that very sexy '69 &50 Commando S. The bikes belong to the owner, and he really doesn't want to let them go, that is why the high price. Yes, they are Concours condition, but...I don't want to pay twice the price, when I can do some of the work myself. That is half the fun of it.

The CL ads you posted for me show a lot of Nortons up there, and I looked at a few of them. I have a feeling I will find the bike I want up in your area. I will stay on top of the CL ads in your area, and probably pick one up in the next month or less. I have to wait to get this darn cast off my right leg, and then I can go get one, and ride it home.

Thanks for all the tips and info.

Carbon-I had a buddy back in high school that was sort of a British bike efficinado/nut whatever you want to call him. But he once told me he wouldnt buy a Triumph if it wasnt leaking oil. Me being pretty much of a 2 stroke background and a couple hondas asked why? He told me if it wasnt leaking any oil, it probably didnt have any in it.

Carbon-I had a buddy back in high school that was sort of a British bike efficinado/nut whatever you want to call him. But he once told me he wouldnt buy a Triumph if it wasnt leaking oil. Me being pretty much of a 2 stroke background and a couple hondas asked why? He told me if it wasnt leaking any oil, it probably didnt have any in it.

Now that's funny right there. LOL I've seen a few Harley's with the same problem, so its not just a Brit thing. I will say that I had a 68 BSA that didn't leak only cause I sealed the cases with gasket sealer along with the gaskets.

Larry

Wouldn't mind owning another one too as it was one of my favorites -- 650cc dual carbs Spite Fire with the fiberglass peanut tank painted red/white, chrome fenders. Last time I looked they too were going for well over what they cost back in the day.

That was all we had to put them back together back then. The gaskets that came in kits sucked and leaked. So qutie often we used sears or wards cataloge and yellow dog (3m weather strip adheasive).