IGNORED

Patching a rear or any MC tire

:confused24:

I have an E3 with a small finishing nail hole in it, the nail was barely long enough to go through. I replace the tire with another E3 but the first one has maybe 3,000 miles on it and it hurts just thinking about tossing it out. Is there a safe way to patch from the inside of the tire? The thoughts of making a bigger hole to plug it kill me if that is the way I should go or should I just chalk it up to bad luck and let it go?

If its already off, sure I would go ahead and fix it. IMOP a plug is an OK fix if its mounted up. The prefered fix would be a patch. So long as the puncture was in the "center" part of the tread. Sidwalls are out, but if its in what you might say the main part of the tread your good to go on patching it.

1 vote to fix

Same thing happened to me. Only my hole was big. Drill Chuck went into my tire. Not a small homeowner drill chuck..... I plugged it. And it threw the plug. So I replaced the tire. Might still try to do the patch and plug. To use it as a spare.

When I worked in a service station back in the mid 70's we got a new "plug" gun looking thing that put plugs in that looked like that. But from what I remember that thing would be way to big to carry with you on a trip. I just have a T handle and the rope looking ones. Luckly I have not had to use one on the bike. But a couple years back my daughter in-law kept me busy couple times a month fixing her tires.

Option #1 is the preferred patch-plug

Option#2 is the "Stop & Go" plug gun. It is compact enough to carry on the bike for on the road plugs

My favorite is the "Ride on" tire sealant.

Install it and you would have never known you had had a nail in the tire and that it had come out. Seals off any hole up to sixteen penny nail.

Like Muffin man I have plugged several tires through the years and never had a problem but I usually tell people if you can plug it and forget it, then plug it.

If you ride down the road and worry about it then I would just buy a new tire. It's not worth the grief.

The day before I was to leave on a 5,000 mile trip I checked the air in my tires and sure enough the rear tire had a leak and of course a nail. I just plugged it and went ahead on my trip. Checked the air daily and never had a problem.

BOO

Ok and thanks to everyone for the responces on this. It is in the "center" part of the tire more towards the side but not in the side wall at all. I prefer to patch it from the inside which I think that is what I will do. I was even tempted to plug it and when I had pushed the plug through to thread a second plug rope through the eye of the through plug (think of a "T") which I am sure it couldn't throw the plug that way. But like I said I'll patch the inside and see what happens. Once again thanks for the info.

:fingers-crossed-emo