IGNORED

Question for the Smart Phone crowd....

Snaggletooth

I've arrived in the new age...... and still wandering around in a fog. My daughters Blackberry had finally seen its better days so I went cell phone shopping with her. 1st mistake. She found a Samsung that she liked and we were talking about some of the features. I saw a chance to upgrade my old Motorola to something more compatable with hers and have features that allow me access to the web and other communications. #2nd mistake.

So we bought a pair of new Smart Phones. #3 mistake. Now I got to learn stuff.

Ok, I admit it. I'm an old fashioned guy. I used a phone for phone calls. I still miss my first cell phone, a litttle. Remember the ones that came in the small suitcase with the motorcycle battery? Yeah, that one. Worked for me.

In the recent years texting and e-mailing has become a way of life. I've come to depend on it 100%. Can not be without it.

So here is my issue. When the phone rings from a regular call the callers icon and number flashes up on the screen to notify. That's just dandy. BUT.......... What I need to have is when an text message or e-amail arrive is the callers icon or number to flash up like a regular phone call does so I know I have an incoming rather than a lil tiny icon in the corner of a blank black screen.

I've dug though all the info I have on the phone. It's an Android based Samsung. I can not find any settings to make this happen. I started searching for an app to make this work. Even my kid has been digging. Nothing so far.

To save some time, ring tones and ringer volume aren't the answer. Not going to hear them. I need a visual display to see the call come in.

Anybody have any suggestions or point me towards an app that will do this?

Thanks

Mike

Can't help on the visual side....but you can set it so that it will vibrate as well as sound...so even if you don't hear the ringer you will feel the vibration.

my LG shows a little number on the message icon when I get email or text.

There is an app (free) in the Play store called SMS Notification Popup. It puts a box on your screen no matter what you are doing at the time. Shows the sender name (if you have them in your contacts) and at least a portion of the message.

Have not tried it myself but it has good ratings.

Joe

Edit: This one would probably be better: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.everythingandroid.smspopup&feature=related_apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEwOSwibmV0LmV2ZXJ5dGhpbmdhbmRyb2lkLnNtc3BvcHVwIl0.

Do you sit at your computer a lot AND are on sprint and use chrome? If you say yes to all of these questions you can use google voice (not to be confused with google talk the instant messenger) And all your text message will also popup on Chrome once you install the voice extension in chrome, that way you can do chats on the computer without messing with the phone lol.

Can't help on the visual side....but you can set it so that it will vibrate as well as sound...so even if you don't hear the ringer you will feel the vibration.

my LG shows a little number on the message icon when I get email or text.

I've had "Happy Pockets" for years. :smile5:

There is an app (free) in the Play store called SMS Notification Popup. It puts a box on your screen no matter what you are doing at the time. Shows the sender name (if you have them in your contacts) and at least a portion of the message.

Joe

You might have me on the right track with this one. Got it downloaded and waiting for my daughter to text back to see how it works.

Do you sit at your computer a lot AND are on sprint and use chrome? If you say yes to all of these questions you can use google voice (not to be confused with google talk the instant messenger) And all your text message will also popup on Chrome once you install the voice extension in chrome, that way you can do chats on the computer without messing with the phone lol.

Oh I'd love to have a voice chat! But not going to happen I'm afraid.

Thanks for all for the info. But here is what I failed to mention. I'm deaf. Lost all my hearing about 3 1/2 years ago. Something they call Sudden Hearing Loss. Kind of a PITA as you go to bed at night as a hearing person and you wake up in the morning as a not hearing person. I lost 50% overnight and then big chunks every few months after that until it was gone completely.

And people ask me why I like my MAC exhaust pipes......... I can feel those suckers!!! :rotf:

One of the best functions I've found with the Smart phones the "voice to text" feature. That alone is going to save me a lot of time.

But again, thanks for your info,

Mike

Joe

Edit: This one would probably be better: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.everythingandroid.smspopup&feature=related_apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEwOSwibmV0LmV2ZXJ5dGhpbmdhbmRyb2lkLnNtc3BvcHVwIl0.

SMS Popup is what I am using (pretty sure that's it, I installed it 1 1/2 years ago). Nice thing about it I can customize the message alert just like a ringtone, so I can have it ring different tones to tell who's sending it. Works well, just have to shut off the text notifications in the stock phone settings, otherwise you'll get double notifications. If your phone is on but the screen is dark, it will light up with the caller's id and a portion of the message. You can access it right then, or it will fade back off but still be the first thing you see when you wake your phone back up until you reply or cancel it. I like it.

-Andrew

Smart phones are awesome but they are computers so follow logic, the kind of logic we have learned to ignore and thats why kids are so good with technology. There are apps for everything and if its not there today it will be in the near future. Look at some accessibility apps.

:bang head: Well that was fun. I installed to app called "SMS Notification Popup", my bad. Looked to be the ticket I needed but it raised havoc with my phone. Scene stalls, lost my tilt function and keyboard function. Couldn't even get the home or menu functions. I was finally able to force it to close and uninstall it.

Scratch that one off the list. :thumbdown: No problem Joe, like you said ....Untested. Until now. LOL!

I just installed the "SMS Popup" by Adam K. that icebrrg3rd mentioned. That one seems to be working as intended and works well. No issues so far. Does what I need and a little more.

I'm good. Until I find something else I need. :fingers crossed:

Thanks

Mike

Guest tx2sturgis

Look in the play store for ringer flash apps...some of these will pulse the LED flash on your smartphone when a call or text comes in.

Since you're settling into a Samsung, I'm thinking I might be able to help you out...

You can go to the "Play Store" and check out an app named "ChompSMS". It is a full text app, it can do everything your stock text messenger can do, and more. And the truth is you may like some of the extra things it can do....I LOVE it...but you may not. (it can do a lot of things, like reading any text out loud....I find that really useful when I get a text and can't find my dang reading glasses anywhere!)

BUT...and here's the point...it can allow you to set up a "pop up notification" that will appear on the screen (about 1/2 of the screen) every time a text comes in. The "pop up" box will show the entire text, the name and number the text came from, will show any photo you have associated with the person's contact info, and also has a "quick reply" button. With the "quick reply" button, you can write back to the text if you want directly from the notification box. That saves you the time of even having to open the text app at all.

Anyway, just something to look at....Good Luck!!!!

I had a Sony Ericson 810 for about 8 years ...I was a happy man.:thumbsup2:

Then at new years I listened to my son and daughter :doh:

Upgradeded to a Motorola Razr hd lte or something like that :bang head:

:sign yeah that::big-grin-emoticon:

I did find a cell phone cover that makes me a lot more comfortable with the new technology.

Since you're settling into a Samsung, I'm thinking I might be able to help you out...

You can go to the "Play Store" and check out an app named "ChompSMS". It is a full text app, it can do everything your stock text messenger can do, and more. And the truth is you may like some of the extra things it can do....I LOVE it...but you may not. (it can do a lot of things, like reading any text out loud....I find that really useful when I get a text and can't find my dang reading glasses anywhere!)

BUT...and here's the point...it can allow you to set up a "pop up notification" that will appear on the screen (about 1/2 of the screen) every time a text comes in. The "pop up" box will show the entire text, the name and number the text came from, will show any photo you have associated with the person's contact info, and also has a "quick reply" button. With the "quick reply" button, you can write back to the text if you want directly from the notification box. That saves you the time of even having to open the text app at all.

Anyway, just something to look at....Good Luck!!!!

The previously mentioned SMS Popup does all that stuff too.

Joe