IGNORED

CB and intercom noise help

Hi-

I have an 06 RSTD, trying to install a CB and an intercom. TOO much ignition, alternator and fuel pump noise. How have you solved this problem? Are there any filter kits available or do I need to do it myself?

Helmets with J&M headsets are also used with another m/c, radio is Cobra handheld, intercom is Air Rider.

The fix maybe easy. First adjust your mic(s) to a different position. These are very sensitive instruments and will pickup any noise at all. You may need to face them up, down, over, under or somewhere else. Trial and effort is the game.

Secondly reroute the leads in your scoot. Sometimes this doesn't take a lot, just a movement of 2 in or so, other times you need to go from one side of the bike to the other. When you do this have the bike running, headsets on with the noise present, then start moving things around. If this don't get you anywhere try some filters.

Hi Dave - I see you found the site.

This is Mike - WB9DLC.

I found this Crutchfield site that is a good troubleshooting site for vehicle noise. It also offers part numbers for various filters that might help. Also some good troubleshooting ideas.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learningcenter/car/noise_suppressors_installation_guide.html?page=4

I hope the long URL makes it through the system.

I seem to remember some pre-crash posts about excessive noise in the system being caused by loose and or dirty connectors. Some suggested that splitting the faring and unplugging, cleaning and replugging all the connectors helped. Same for the radio. Some suggested using dielectric gel to protect the connectors. Don't forget the connectors under the seats.

• 4 weeks later...

My only complaint about the audio system is the wind noise. I bought some "noise supression" boom mics from J & M and all I can see they done was to move the mics closer to my mouth. The noise is still there not as loud maybe but still there. I'm looking to mute the mics when they are not in use. Any ideas?

Guest RSTD Rider

If none of the above work I will send you the fix for your problem. I have it at home on my other PC. What you have is a ground loop problem. Mine had the same problem.

Don,

How does this work with the CB on? That is, are you toggling the mics on/off everytime that you push a PTT button?

Thanks,

Kelly

A momentary push of the PTT button, front or rear, turns the mics on. You can then use the CB as usual until you do another momentary push to turn them off again. It really is a nice system.

• 4 weeks later...

The RSV has both types of noise filters installed for the stock radio (I believe the condensor is in the fairing, not sure about the other parts). Ther RSTD almost certainly does not have these parts. I'd get the schematic for both to identify the items, then use the IPB from Yamahaha's web site to identify the specific parts and how they are connected. From there you should be able to solve your problem. Good luck,

Goose

I seem to remember some pre-crash posts about excessive noise in the system being caused by loose and or dirty connectors. Some suggested that splitting the faring and unplugging, cleaning and replugging all the connectors helped. Same for the radio. Some suggested using dielectric gel to protect the connectors. Don't forget the connectors under the seats.

This is a RSTD(Venture Lite) no fairing

• 1 year later...
Guest kennewick58
Has anyone tried the resistor type spark plugs to help with this issue?

I was womdering the same thing. My noise seems to come directly from the ignition.