IGNORED

Garage heaters

Floyd

I'm in the process of upgrading my garage and have found this garage heater on sale. I was wondering if anyone has used this, or know if the brand is good?

The reviews seem to be good fromwhat I've read. I have a 2.5 car garage that I'm insulating/heating.

Link to garage heater info: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200307959_200307959

Thanks.

Hi Alex,

I have a similar but older model that's only 35000 BTU in my 2 car garage and it does a great job. I think the unit you're looking at can be vented out the wall instead of up through the roof like mine. Plus this one is more compact and can be mounted higher off the floor.

Does it have a standing pilot light or electronic ignition?

Gary

That's very close to what I have in my garage Floyd. Mine is made by Modine and called Hot Dawg. They're probably both made by the same company.

Anyhow I have the 45k btu model and I can keep the garage toasty warm if I want - single digit temps outside and 60-70 * inside depending on what thermostat is set at. And it only takes a short time to get there too.

Just insulating the walls and ceiling will generaly keep the inside at least 10* warmer overnight too.

Come on over and you can check mine out.

Larry

Hi Alex,

I have a similar but older model that's only 35000 BTU in my 2 car garage and it does a great job. I think the unit you're looking at can be vented out the wall instead of up through the roof like mine.

Yup, this one has the option of horizontal or vertical venting.

It's listed as a "spark" ignition. I assume that means electronic.

I have a similar one, 75000 btu model, believe they are sort of generic.....seen same furnace under many names.... had it about 7 yrs., been excellent, no complaints. Bought mine at Home Depot, but they don't carry them anymore.....have seen them this year at Menards, if pricing is close you'd save a lot on shipping.:2cents: -Tim

I got one like this from graingers, then took it back after I replaced my horizontal furnace in the house with a vertical. Realized I could put my horizontal up in the rafters of my garage and snout it down, saving me all that money (for my second gear repairs)!

Dan

Only 25.5" x 19.0" x 12"...Wow, that's small & easy vent thru wall.

Got me thinkin' now. Good price too. Insulation would be the cost.

Not to put any pressure on you whether to buy or not, but they have it on sale now and shipping is free.

Anyhow, knowing the free shipping is ending any day now I decided to buy it. I don't have a gas line run out to the garage yet, but saving over $100 was too good to wait until later this year.

It'll have to sit in the garage until I run the line out and Eddie comes over to install it for me.

The 45,000 BTU for $389.99 should do it if the garage is well Insulated, for $60.00 more I would get the 75,000 BTU for $449.99 Model# MHU75NG.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200316363_200316363

Eddie told me not to go with the bigger one. He'll give you the ABCs of furnace sizing, as he did me, if you ask nicely :)

Bigger isn't necessarily better ... in furnaces anyway.

Alex from what I found out that furnace is the same as a Hot Dawg. Good unit. That is a better deal than I could get on that type of unit right now. Furnaces that are to big short cycle, not good for comfort and not good at all for the unit.

Eddie told me not to go with the bigger one. He'll give you the ABCs of furnace sizing, as he did me, if you ask nicely :)

Bigger isn't necessarily better ... in furnaces anyway.

I knew my ABC when I was a kid. Actually I have had both types of heaters. I prefer the larger unit only because it heated up the garage much faster. Especially in sub zero weather. That's why I went with a large unit. I don't like waiting around. The garage was not insulated. The larger unit did cycle maybe a time or two more then the smaller unit. But both units will get the job done. Look what I found in the garage, man can you imagined that?:080402gudl_prv:

i would make sure you have very good insulation in your garage as 45,000 is smaller than the heater i had in my last camper

but dray , a camper has a bad R rating , i use a 45,000 camper furnace to heat my house in Arkansas and a 35,000 rv furnace to heat my shop here , if anybody has a old camper , pull out the furnace , take off the front cover , for a exhaust vent , use a 1 1/2 exh. pipe to outside , use a rv L.p. regulator from local hardware store and a 10 amp. battery charger to run it . RV furnaces have a very high % rating , if you can find a old park model RV furnace , they run 120 volt ac , check the spec. plate on the front of the furnace .

I knew my ABC when I was a kid. Actually I have had both types of heaters. I prefer the larger unit only because it heated up the garage much faster. Especially in sub zero weather. That's why I went with a large unit. I don't like waiting around. The garage was not insulated. The larger unit did cycle maybe a time or two more then the smaller unit. But both units will get the job done. Look what I found in the garage, man can you imagined that?:080402gudl_prv:

Well, to each his own. I was working in the garage last night with the propane heaters and kerosene heater working. The air got warm enough within a few minutes that I had to take my coat off. However, the power tools (scroll saw, chop saw, etc) was still too cold to work with.

Even though the air was warm I still had to wait for the tools to warm up so there wasn't any time savings.

Anyway, I ordered my heater.

Alex from what I found out that furnace is the same as a Hot Dawg. Good unit. That is a better deal than I could get on that type of unit right now. Furnaces that are to big short cycle, not good for comfort and not good at all for the unit.

Yup, I understand. Other people on the tool site reviewing the units said pretty much the same thing about the size and the cycling issue. Anyway, no matter if it was a 45,000 or 75,000 BTU unit, it would still be an improvement to what I have today. Thanks.

just got an email from northern tool .free shipping ups ground ,today only.at least they said 2/4/08 was the last day for the free shipping offer. now i got to do some quick thinking. do i really need one? :) actually can i convince my wife that i do really need one? well i got all day to work on her. :2133: