IGNORED

Blizzard in Mid-West

XV1100SE

Hope everyone in Nebraska, Iowa, and Wisconsin is safe and warm !

Sounds like quite the storm

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/20/us/midwest-blizzard/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

"Blizzard warnings were up Thursday for portions of Nebraska, Missouri, Minnesota, Illinois and Wisconsin and virtually all of Iowa. Winter storm warnings extended further into Missouri, Illinois and Wisconsin, as well as into Michigan and Indiana."

Been a fun day here. One heck of a first snow fall last nite and with the winds it chewed us up pretty good. I had to go rescue my daughter this morning. She moved about 35 miles south of me into the country. On her way to work this morning she had to dodge an oncoming car on a two lane highway that was spinning out. She ended eating about 50 foot of snow in the ditch to avoid hitting him. No harm done. She got a bloody nose and the car will live.

I figure I only saw about a dozen cars moving in those 35 miles down to her. About half that many in the ditches. Always cracks me up. The only thing in the ditches were 4x4 pickups and jeeps.

Those pics were taken about 4 pm today south of Omaha. Didn't look that way when I took off that way this morning. About 17 degrees and 30 mile an hour cross winds in white out conditions at times. The roads were wind packed and icey at 8:00 am. the wind blew me in my old 3,700 lb Lincoln off of Hwy 34 on the way down. The old girl gets traction at least. I was able to get it back up on the road under its own power.

it's gonna be fun in the morning. Roads are wet now with runoff and slush and the temps are headed towards 6 degrees over night.

I gotta look for my hockey skates.

I love winter in Nebraska..... until I have to drive in it. :bang head:

Mike

Thank you and yes, me to. Amazinly enough with as little traffic as there was it was witnessed by a State Trooper that was behind her. The other car got stopped and took off headed the other way. The Trooper stopped to check her and dug the car out enough to get to door opened so she clould climb out. He radioed for another unit to look for the other car. He wasn't happy with them taking off and leaving her in the ditch. She was a lil freaked out. She realized how close it came to being a much worse situation.

I'm thrilled that she kept her wits about her and avoided contact with the other car. She had a good day in my book.

We met some good people today. The Trooper looked after her and even dropped her off at work, a local young man with a 4x4 dually that stopped and helped me dig the car and out and pulled it out of the ditch, (and wouldn't accept a dime) and the local good old boys at the corner store that shot the bull with me during the whole deal. And not to forget the young gal cashier at the corner store that call the guy with the 4x4. Her husband!

Makes a fella want to move to the contry. (maybe in the spring)

Edited by Snaggletooth

... Always cracks me up. The only thing in the ditches were 4x4 pickups and jeeps. ...

Glad your daughter is safe and hope the cops picked up the guy that drove away.

As for 4x4's and Jeeps.... don't you know they can drive thru anything? They don't realize that although they can start moving quicker than a 2 wheel drive.... they take just as long to stop on ice. False sense of security.

Being distracted yesterday with digging out my daughters car I'm just catching up with the local situation. The snow and wind here knocked out power to 40,000 people overnight. I see this morning there are still 11,000 without power in this area alone. They hope to have power back by Saturday morning. It's 8 degrees out this morning. That's gotta suck. They added 250 cots to the local shelters just to help get people in from the cold that lost power yesterday.

One heck of a way to start off the winter.

The storm wussed out here. With the "Warmer by the lake" syndrome, we got 2.1 inches of rain and maybe 2 inches of snow. Now that would have made a nice snow storm. just a little west of here, 50 miles, where the "warmer by the lake" does not come into play, they got 20+ inches.

I may have to move west........:snow2:

The wind was the big problem here in the south as the storm moved east, it was howling last night, house being pelted with nuts and sticks out of the trees (we did get some beneficial rains as well), was checking TN weather yesterday as have a trip up there for a couple days, was thinking about taking the bike. Several roads (US 441, plus others) thru the Smokies were closed due to high winds, 66 mph sustained with gusts up to 96 was taking its toll knocking down trees, since the cold has moved in for a couple days I guess I'll take the cage, need to take some stuff with me anyway.