IGNORED

camping eck style

Snarley Bill

one of my winter projects this year is an eck style camper. i bought a new doolittle cargo trailer. so far i have wired it with 110 outlets , a porch light, interior outlets and lighting. black friday came at the right time. i have a mini refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, hot plate , and gas grill. this poor mans camping is getting expensive. it is alot cheaper than a toy hauler. the only things i have left, is air conditiong, and an awning. i owe eck some coffee so i need to go to a meet where eck is at. maybe vogel next year. how about it eck? snarley bill :depressed: :clap2:

Bill,

You owe me nothing..but hey. I would take a coffee now....:stickpoke:

I sold my old trailer a while back, but it was almost set up complete.

Wired for 110 and 220 volt..notice the breaker box on left side of rear door just under tail light in 1st picture.

I don't get it, why isn't the bike in front of the trailer ? I thought motorcycles were for riding and trailers were for pulling behind them

Maybe...hopefully...Eck uses a Goldwing 1800 as the tow vehicle. Since we cannot see what the front of this trailer looks like, we have to assume that he is using a big bike to tow this trailer. An 1800 Wing would do good in this case. Otherwise, what is the point of a trailer that has a bike inside it?

I once came up on a sailboat being towed down the road. I could not, for the life of me, see what the tow vehicle was, as the sailboat was large enough that it was blocking the view of seeing the tow vehicle. Once I decided to pass this sailboat, I saw that it was a Goldwing 1500 towing the sailboat. Yes...it was stupid, but...it was what it was.

I don't get it, why isn't the bike in front of the trailer ? I thought motorcycles were for riding and trailers were for pulling behind them :stickpoke:

Well I guess being you and some others are new to the VR family since the time I owned that trailer, none of you would know the reason(s) why I had to tow my Venture.

Keep in mind though, that although while I had to tow it, any of the older VR members can tell you how often I rode it and the many miles I racked up on it.

One main reason that I towed my Venture (and my Goldwing) is my wife doesnt like to ride much, BUT...she knows it is in my blood to ride.

Often, I would plan a long weekend trip and I always wanted to take her with me. But being she didnt ride, I purcahsed this trailer so that I could haul my Venture to where we were going just so we could be together. Next morning, I would take off on the bike, and she would have the truck that I used to pull the trailer and off she would go shopping and doing what she wanted and likes to do.We would always meet later on that evening some place and have dinner.

Now a few times, (not many) my wife would go on the ride with me. The rides that she went with me on were a lot shorter in length & time then what I usually did, but at least we spent the day together.

I certainly know bikes are for riding, and I truely understand that. However, when you see that a bike is in tow or has been towed in or on a trailer, I have learned never to question why. but I am satisfied knowing that the owner would much rather be riding it... if it was not for some reason as to why he is not riding it.

Hope that all makes sence and not found sarcastic for that is not my intention.

It made sence to those older VR members who have met my wife and they now understand why I tow my bike to some of the rallies and M & Eats...

For the record though:

I did tow my bike one time to Eureka Springs, Ak., for a VR event there, and I was by myself.

Reason: I just finished the interior of my trailer and I wanted to use it as my place to stay in a camp site where many VR members were staying. That was the only time I towed it and was by myself. Oh yes, I did catch a lot of teasing about towing it when I got there.

However, again for the record....Every morning there appeared several VR members at my trailer wanting that moring cup of COFFEE.... of which thier motel rooms did not have...

My nasty trailer that everyone put down the nigth before happen to have 110 and 220 volts power, a radio, coffee pot, coffee, sugar, creamer, cups, 4 fold up camping chairs.

Every morning a bunch of us sat outside my traielr having coffee in the mornings.

In fact one very nice lady (Jane) brought me a can of decaf coffee one evening and requested that I make her decaf coffee every morning and have it ready after her mornign walk...which I most gladly did. To this day if I know Jane is going to be where I am, I will have a cup of decaf coffee ready for her after her morning walk..:thumbsup2:

PS: I dont mind the razzing of pulling a trailer at all..Im a big boy and can handle it. :rasberry:

I don't get it, why isn't the bike in front of the trailer ? I thought motorcycles were for riding and trailers were for pulling behind them :stickpoke:

Well I guess being you and some others are new to the VR family since the time I owned that trailer, none of you would know the reason(s) why I had to tow my Venture.

Keep in mind though, that although while I had to tow it, any of the older VR members can tell you how often I rode it and the many miles I racked up on it.

One main reason that I towed my Venture (and my Goldwing) is my wife doesnt like to ride much, BUT...she knows it is in my blood to ride.

Often, I would plan a long weekend trip and I always wanted to take her with me. But being she didnt ride, I purcahsed this trailer so that I could haul my Venture to where we were going just so we could be together. Next morning, I would take off on the bike, and she would have the truck that I used to pull the trailer and off she would go shopping and doing what she wanted and likes to do.We would always meet later on that evening some place and have dinner.

Now a few times, (not many) my wife would go on the ride with me. The rides that she went with me on were a lot shorter in length & time then what I usually did, but at least we spent the day together.

I certainly know bikes are for riding, and I truely understand that. However, when you see that a bike is in tow or has been towed in or on a trailer, I have learned never to question why. but I am satisfied knowing that the owner would much rather be riding it... if it was not for some reason as to why he is not riding it.

Hope that all makes sence and not found sarcastic for that is not my intention.

It made sence to those older VR members who have met my wife and they now understand why I tow my bike to some of the rallies and M & Eats...

For the record though:

I did tow my bike one time to Eureka Springs, Ak., for a VR event there, and I was by myself.

Reason: I just finished the interior of my trailer and I wanted to use it as my place to stay in a camp site where many VR members were staying. That was the only time I towed it and was by myself. Oh yes, I did catch a lot of teasing about towing it when I got there.

However, again for the record....Every morning there appeared several VR members at my trailer wanting that moring cup of COFFEE.... of which thier motel rooms did not have...

My nasty trailer that everyone put down the nigth before happen to have 110 and 220 volts power, a radio, coffee pot, coffee, sugar, creamer, cups, 4 fold up camping chairs.

Every morning a bunch of us sat outside my traielr having coffee in the mornings.

In fact one very nice lady (Jane) brought me a can of decaf coffee one evening and requested that I make her decaf coffee every morning and have it ready after her mornign walk...which I most gladly did. To this day if I know Jane is going to be where I am, I will have a cup of decaf coffee ready for her after her morning walk..:thumbsup2:

PS: I dont mind the razzing of pulling a trailer at all..Im a big boy and can handle it. :rasberry:

hey eck, ive been trailering for the last 4 years. my being tough days are a thing of the past. ive been riding since i was 12 and im going to be 70 next month. tried the gang route, done moto cross, pro hill climbing, drag racing, enduro, had over 70 bikes, and traveled alot. i figure if a guy trailers he has a reason. i'm just glad at 70 i can still handle 2 wheels. even if it is for only 300 miles at a time. not to mention if i ask linda to go over 100 miles she says don't let the door hit you in the ass. :rotf::rotf::clap2:

hey eck, ive been trailering for the last 4 years. my being tough days are a thing of the past. ive been riding since i was 12 and im going to be 70 next month. tried the gang route, done moto cross, pro hill climbing, drag racing, enduro, had over 70 bikes, and traveled alot. i figure if a guy trailers he has a reason. i'm just glad at 70 i can still handle 2 wheels. even if it is for only 300 miles at a time. not to mention if i ask linda to go over 100 miles she says don't let the door hit you in the ass. :rotf::rotf::clap2:

Is it possible that Penny and your wife are related???? LOL

I was talkin about that with the wife, she has back and hip pain and we are supposed to go to Myrtle Beach next year, would be nice to pull the bike behind us. What sized trailer does it take to put in two bikes. . .

My 6 x 10 enclosed trailer was only big enough for one RSV. The ramp door was only 6 inchs from the trunk of the bike

If you get an open trailer it must be at minimum 10 ft long.

If you plan on carrying TWO bikes, then I would definately get one that is 14 to 16 ft long and then I would put the bikes on it in opposite direction of each other to reduce any damage from occurring.

A very good explanation Eck and one I understand and sympathize with completely.Since our accident in June of 2011 Cynthia is not up to any long distance riding/trips,but she will ride with me for short distances. We are looking into towing to distant rides as well.Avery elegant solution you have devised.