IGNORED

Just picked up the new (to me) bike

I just picked up the 02 midnight venture i won on ebay.

I am going to be needing couple of things 1 The chrome ring around the headlight And 2 The chrome whatchamacalit on the top of the fairing that covers the windshield bolts. I also could use the front outer fairing but I think I can fix mine so not as important

If any one has either of these laying around let me know what you want for them.

I also have a question I live at an altitude of 6500 feet, and when I rev the bike and let off I get a popping from the stock mufflers, do yall think I will need to get the carbs rejetted?

Thanks guys, I have been reading this forum for a while and will soon be following some of the advice I have seen here.

You might try Pinwall Cycle Parts for the trim. He has a couple of wrecked RSVs that he is parting out. The problem will likely be that those front fairing parts that you need are often the first to be damaged in an accident. He has an Ebay store at: http://stores.ebay.com/PinWall-Cycle-Parts-Inc and also a telephone number posted there.

As for your elevation and the popping. I've not heard of any of these bikes needing the carbs re-jetted due to elevation. In fact, I've ridden mine in Colorado at elevations around 10,000 feet and had no problems at all. Most likely just need to sync them real well. That's pretty common on these bikes.

Don

And of course the simplest thing that can cause popping is if the choke is not going all the way off.

That is an interesting comment. I have occasionally forgotten to shut of the choke on many different bikes, and I have NEVER had an exhaust pop from this. Not saying this can't happen, but I don't think it is common. Of course, having the choke on is a restriction in the air flow and will increase the intake vacuum, which will cause any vacuum leak to suck more air.

The actual cause of any after-fire is unburned fuel that gets into the exhaust and is then ignited. This problem has gotten much worse with newer engines that are tuned to run extra lean in an attempt to meet current emissions laws, and any vacuum leak will cause one or more cylinders to run even leaner. Here is how it works - when the mixture is overly lean, many combustion cycles do not properly ignite and leave plenty of hydrocarbons to blow into the exhaust. After a few cycles of this, the concentration of gas in the header pipes and muffler reach the point where they will ignite from the residual combustion flame that accompanies the exhaust when the valve first opens. A too-rich situation is more likely to cause a back-fire through the carb than an after-fire through the pipe.

The RSV has an air injection system that injects fresh air into the exhaust headers which aids in the continued burning of any unburned hydrocarbons with the exhaust before they either get blown out into the air or reach a concentration high enough to cause a "pop" or after-fire. Two cylinders have a vacuum hose on the intake tract which controls the air injection valves. When the vacuum is high (at idle or when chopping the throttle closed), the injection valves close, thus reducing the risk of after-fires in those extra lean conditions.

Intake vacuum leaks can cause after-fires by either making the mixture too lean so it does not burn properly or preventing the AIS valves from closing. Exhaust leaks can cause after-fires by providing enough fresh air to aid the ignition of the hydrocarbons in the exhaust pipe (just like having the AIS valves open at the wrong time). On the RSV, there have been numerous problems with leaking "Y" pipes that have caused exhaust popping, especially on the 05 and 06 models. However, I think the biggest cause is probably cracked caps and vacuum hoses on the intake nipples. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

The Venture doesn't have a choke, it has a "cold engine, fuel enrichment" system. When you pull the knob labeled like a choke, it actually opens up an extra fuel passage and dumps more fuel in the engine.

OK, OK,, it is still called a choke in common reference. Just like we still say dialing the phone.. When was the last time you owned a phone with a dial?

Anyway, if I forget and leave my fuel enrichment control partial engaged, after the bike warms up it pops when I decelerate.

Ouch!

I didnt mean to start a debate:whistling:

I think that the vacume leak theory may be my problem. I was looking it over today, and I see that the rubber intakes are pretty badly cracked, and when I squirt a shot of carb clean on them the rpms increase slightly.

So I will take care of that and see what happens.

Thanks again for all your help.

Of course, having the choke on is a restriction in the air flow and will increase the intake vacuum, which will cause any vacuum leak to suck more air.

The point of him saying that the choke is not actually a choke is that this statement isn't true. Having the choke on doesn't restrict air flow at all. Unusual for the Goose. He usually knows what he's talking about.

If you can squirt carb cleaner on the cracks in the intakes and get an rpm change, you certainly have found a vacuum leak, and fixing those will make a difference.

I need chrome windshield trim too! I got wrecked RSV from ebay also and it needs more little parts than I had bargained for. I am buying parts off of ebay and memebers on this forum.

Still need:

Chrome rear fender brace - left side

chrome windshield trim

INNER fairing

RIGHT lower/leg cowling

Right passenger arm rest

Right passenger arm rest cowling

LEFT bag guard

trunk lid

If anyone has these for sale - please let me know - thanks in advance!

Pinwall has many parts but is WAY too expensive! BUT I did buy RSV carbs from them for my 01 for $250 auction which they list for $$350 - so you just need to watch for deals if you want to save a few bucks.

The point of him saying that the choke is not actually a choke is that this statement isn't true. Having the choke on doesn't restrict air flow at all. Unusual for the Goose. He usually knows what he's talking about.

If you can squirt carb cleaner on the cracks in the intakes and get an rpm change, you certainly have found a vacuum leak, and fixing those will make a difference.

I understand the difference between a choke and an enriching circuit (The Del Orto carbs on my Moto Guzzis had enriching circuits clear back in the early 70s). I have never had the need to look into the details of the carbs on the RSV, so I did not know until now that they did not use a true choke, but that is immaterial. All I was trying to do was imagine some possibility for the original poster's statement that his bike popped when leaving the choke on too long so I didn't sound like I was just saying he didn't know what he was talking about.

As for the cracks in the intake manifolds - those are extremely common on an RSV over three years old, and many here have stated they generally do not cause vacuum leaks (something about internal metal lining?). I cannot personally vouch for that, but it is worth looking at all possibilities. Anyway, you are absolutely right that the carb cleaner test proves a vacuum leak. My point here is that the leak could just as easily be a torn vacuum hose or cracked rubber cap on the nipples of the other two intake manifolds. Either of these points would also suck any carb cleaner sprayed around the area. I know from experience that the vacuum hoses are easy to tear when pulling off the nipples, and the rubber caps on the other two were badly cracked on my 05 in just two and a half years. Both of these things are much easier to isolate than the entire intake manifolds (and a LOT cheaper). :080402gudl_prv:

Goose