Guest tx2sturgis

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tx2sturgis

Update:

Stephanie at the Ural dealership called and the new 2013 Patrol is on its way across the big pond.

Expected to arrive in the New Jersey ports on or about the 16th.

After clearing customs and shipping to Lubbock, then its uncrating, assembly and installation of a few accessories.

The exact date is still iffy, but we sort've expect it will be in my grubby paws right around Christmas.

Santa might even put a big red bow on it!

:happy34:

Check out the pics on the right side of this page:

http://www.thetimelessride.com/US/Transition-folder/PG-Ice-Snow.htm

Studded tires!

Brian, thank you for the pictures. They are great. The ones of the Beemer in Alaska and the Yukon and NWT show just what we went through last week. It was...chilling.

I wish that our sidecar rigs had the lap aprons shown in these pics. I am familiar with the lap aprons, but, alas, we did not have them.

Got to say, the Gerbings Heated Clothing works great at -30 to -50 degree temps, with riding wind chill factors.

Can't wait to see pics of your new Ural sidecar rig.

Guest tx2sturgis
Brian, thank you for the pictures. They are great. The ones of the Beemer in Alaska and the Yukon and NWT show just what we went through last week. It was...chilling.

I wish that our sidecar rigs had the lap aprons shown in these pics. I am familiar with the lap aprons, but, alas, we did not have them.

Got to say, the Gerbings Heated Clothing works great at -30 to -50 degree temps, with riding wind chill factors.

Can't wait to see pics of your new Ural sidecar rig.

Could a guy rig up a lap apron from a piece of tarp or plastic sheeting from the hardware store and zip tie it to the bike if he had to? I mean, stopping somewhere and using whatever they had? I realize of course if you werent careful it could get melted on the engine or pipes.

Anyway, yeah that guy has cajones. All alone out there for days or weeks at a time I suppose.

And pics will surely follow the delivery of the new bike. :happy34:

Edited by tx2sturgis

Could a guy rig up a lap apron from a piece of tarp or plastic sheeting from the hardware store and zip tie it to the bike if he had to? I mean, stopping somewhere and using whatever they had? I realize of course if you werent careful it could get melted on the engine or pipes.

Brian, I think you are right on the mark that a person could rig up their own lap apron for severe riding conditions. It might be good to avoid any kind of plastic item. I think a canvas tarp would be best. Using the grommet holes that are already in the canvas tarp to secure the new lap apron to the bike would be good. If there were two people riding, as with my latest trip, we should have stopped at a Home Depot, bought ONE canvas tarp...cut it in half, and shared the tarp. Since you only need the grommets on one side, the side you tie down to the bike, then the side facing the rider does not need to have the grommets.

We stayed warm enough on this trip, but the lap apron would have made it even better. The bikes we "borrowed" from a friend in Prince George, B.C., were already set-up for severe winter riding, as that is how they get around for fun up north.

When I was a lot younger, there was a motor officer in Renton, WA. that was known as Black Bart, because he rode a HD police bike, with a big black lap apron on it, all year round.

Guest tx2sturgis
Brian, I think you are right on the mark that a person could rig up their own lap apron for severe riding conditions. It might be good to avoid any kind of plastic item. I think a canvas tarp would be best. Using the grommet holes that are already in the canvas tarp to secure the new lap apron to the bike would be good. If there were two people riding, as with my latest trip, we should have stopped at a Home Depot, bought ONE canvas tarp...cut it in half, and shared the tarp. Since you only need the grommets on one side, the side you tie down to the bike, then the side facing the rider does not need to have the grommets.

We stayed warm enough on this trip, but the lap apron would have made it even better. The bikes we "borrowed" from a friend in Prince George, B.C., were already set-up for severe winter riding, as that is how they get around for fun up north.

When I was a lot younger, there was a motor officer in Renton, WA. that was known as Black Bart, because he rode a HD police bike, with a big black lap apron on it, all year round.

Motorcycle lap apron? What am I thinking? I live in TEXAS!!!

Never mind. :smile5:

Guest tx2sturgis
Does anyone remember a sidecar sold a few years ago (could be decades) that leaned with the bike. It was very streamlined as I recall. But the selling point was you still drove as if you were on a 2 wheeler.

You mean like this?

http://images.hemmings.com/wp-content/uploads//2012/03/Flexisidecar_02_800-700x525.jpg

http://images.hemmings.com/wp-content/uploads//2012/03/Flexisidecar_01_800-700x525.jpg

I just wanted something a bit newer...even if it didnt lean!

Or here ya go:

http://www.bmwmotorcycletech.info/flexit.htm

This guy wont be lane-splitting anymore:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5VrOgBzX2E&feature=player_embedded]THE WALLICK lean machine Malaysian test - YouTube[/ame]

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis
Good news!

Don't hesitate to get more specific if you want an audience when you pick it up; I would not mind checking that beast out in person :thumbsup2:

Bring gifts.

:smile5:

Does anyone remember a sidecar sold a few years ago (could be decades) that leaned with the bike. It was very streamlined as I recall. But the selling point was you still drove as if you were on a 2 wheeler.

Howard, it was called the Equalean. It was only made for a few years, and then discontinued. I still see a couple a year, here and there. Very hard to come by.

http://www.google.com/search?q=equalean+sidecar&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=JFm-UNe-F86ajALBuoG4Cg&sqi=2&ved=0CCsQsAQ&biw=1393&bih=644

Also the Flexit sidecars.

http://www.improvelife.info/links/bikes/flexit.htm

• 4 weeks later...
Guest tx2sturgis

Well the 2013 Ural Patrol is now home. Wildfire Motorcycle Company in Lubbock is a great dealer to buy from...very helpful and friendly.

Put about 130 kilometers on it...and practiced flying the chair...not as scary as it sounds, after you do it a few times.

Yall know how the Venture is fast, stable, and comfortable? Well the Ural is none of that, but it is a BUNCH of fun. Got lots of looks today. I bought a GoPro camera and will try to take some on-road video some time this week. I will also be adding some lights and some other goodies...and maybe post a few ride reports.

Happy New Year!

Brian,

that looks sweet!

Are you sure your gonna be able to take her out and "get her dirty", when the snow starts flyin???

And yes, ya let me down... everyone knows that bike needs the artillary package... Machine gun mounts. etc...

Bummer:confused24:

Oh well ya could always order later...:mo money:

Enjoy my friend!

Guest tx2sturgis

Here are a few pics that Stephanie took of the new Patrol after the crated bike was delivered.

It takes several hours to uncrate the bike and fully assemble it, align everything, and then road test it.

This post is out of sequence but I forgot to put these pics up before the others. Oh well.

Edited by tx2sturgis

I've got the Equalean, check my albums, been thinking about selling it ......

Guest tx2sturgis

Uploaded some video of the Ural on the dirt. Its not very scenic, but its close by and the temps today were in the mid 30's so I wasnt going to ride 100 miles just to get in some GOOD dirt riding.

This is fun...I rode dirt bikes for most of my youth, and its kinda fun doing it again.

[ame]

[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn5usDmIlI4]Ural in Plainview2 - YouTube[/ame]

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

Been riding the Ural around Amarillo and it has been wild!

There is still some snow and mud in places from the recent storms, and I took a grizzled riding buddy and his dog thru the muck, and he loved it. He was hooping and laughing like a kid!

People are following me into stores, asking if I will give them or their wife a ride. Several chicks have referred to it as 'BAD-ASS!' http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/images/smilies/lol2.gif

I passed out a few brochures and I think one couple will be buying one, maybe a Gear-Up, and another guy wants one set up like mine...Both these guys are Harley riders.

Its a hoot. Out here in flat country, with the relatively milder winters we get, most people have never heard of these.

I even rode it to the local Harley shop to show it to a buddy and it was snowing that day, Friday, and my friend said you picked a helluva day to ride...I told him, nope, perfect Ural weather!

Nice looking bike, looks like a lot of fun. Is it gonna make a trip to sturgis (under its own power) one of these days?

Yep its nice living in the south where you can ride year around, it seems last few years I've ridden just as much in the winter as I have summer (don't like the heat).

Wonder how the Ural will do on some hills.