IGNORED

kickin tires on a Ural

Guest tx2sturgis

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tx2sturgis
Nice looking bike, looks like a lot of fun. Is it gonna make a trip to sturgis (under its own power) one of these days?

Yep its nice living in the south where you can ride year around, it seems last few years I've ridden just as much in the winter as I have summer (don't like the heat).

Wonder how the Ural will do on some hills.

Its a HUGE amount of fun, but again, this is not a road bike.

I didnt buy this as a replacement for my highway machine, its just not that kind of bike. This a street legal ATV...and I rode it in some snow and ice and mud this weekend...which is where this bike is right at home. Nearly effortless in fact. When large heavy touring bikes become ill handling on loose gravel, rutted hard dirt roads, muddy pavement, and snow covered grass, this bike just happily putters thru it, drifting sideways easily if you turn the bars...and spinning the rear pusher wheel in the slop produces forward progress, not a dropped bike.

It is not fully broken-in yet, but its happy at about 55 mph. 60 is pushing it, and I only see 65 on a downhill grade..but its not stable OR happy at that speed.

Hills? Yeah, it does fine, as long as you're happy with climbing mild grades at 45 mph or so.

:happy34:

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

Some pics from my first week of Ural ownership.

Handles dirt, mud, snow and ice.

Easy lighting upgrades.

Chick magnet.

Can haul around my male friends (and their dog!) without looking gay. Well...not TOO gay. :happy34:

UDF (Ural Delay Factor is REAL!)

Guest tx2sturgis
Does that have the left-leaning assembly on it?

If so, I'd sure love to see a picture of how it's hooked up.

Have fun and don't get too wild with it, if there is such a thing as too wild.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'left-leaning asembly'....its not an articulating sidecar...this is very old-school. And I like it that way!

Oh, but it DOES have a sticker on the gas tank that says 'left and right turns are dangerous'...

If you mean can I 'fly the chair'...yes...was doing that in the first few hours I owned it. Fun stuff, to fly the passengers...most of them love it!

Edited by tx2sturgis

Its a HUGE amount of fun, but again, this is not a road bike.

I didnt buy this as a replacement for my highway machine, its just not that kind of bike. This a street legal ATV........Hills? Yeah, it does fine, as long as you're happy with climbing mild grades at 45 mph or so.

Was just kidding about driving it to sturgis, however I think it would be a blast to load up some food and camping gear and just head out.

Few years ago on a trip out west talked to a fella at a gas station headed solo to Alaska for a month or so on a dual road/offroad bike,don't recall what kind a bike it was but I never saw so much stuff tied to a bike including two spare tires.

There are several National Forests within a couple hours drive would be fun to be able to hit the back roads and explore.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tx2sturgis

I rode the outfit to Lubbock, about 55 miles, in 31 degree weather today to get the first break-in service done.

Rick, (LilBeaver) met me there and while the work was being done, we went and had lunch. First, yall need to know that Rick actually has a 4-wheel vehicle...lol...

Anyway, when we got back to the dealer, I took Rick for a short ride in the sidecar, and flew the chair a couple of times...and then I handed the rig over so he could take it for a little ride. I think it kinda scared him!! :stirthepot:

But we all survived and I rode back home, after a brief visit to Harbor Freight...something about the autopilot on ALL my bikes seems to fail when I ride by a Harbor Freight!

I also took a quick snapshot of Rick next to the yet-to-be-washed Ural.

Thanks Rick for the taxi ride to the restaurant, as we all know, this shape I'm in (round) needs to be maintained.

Guest tx2sturgis
I keep wondering if this would be at all fun in the urban flatland of Houston? You drove 55 miles to Lubbock; I'd drive farther than that to see a hill.

Dave

See a what?

:think:

Just to be clear -- not only do I HAVE a 4-wheeled vehicle, that is what was taken to go get lunch.

Brian -- I am glad it worked out and we were able to catch up a little as well as check out your fancy new wheels. 'Flying' in the 'chair' was a weird feeling but pretty friggen cool all at the same time! The slight off road experience was surprisingly comfortable as well. As for me being scared to ride it... well... I do like to be cautious, especially on someone else's brand spanking new bike. Definitely different than anything I have ever ridden before but after some time on one of those puppies, I could certainly see it being all sorts of fun to putter around on and off road with. I am sure you've got plenty of kilometers and hours of good fun riding ahead of you with it!

Thanks again!

For those of you that have not seen one of these in person, the pictures do not do it justice, it is a good looking scoot. :thumbsup2:

Until next time :Venture:

I rode the outfit to Lubbock, about 55 miles, in 31 degree weather today to get the first break-in service done.

Rick, (LilBeaver) met me there and while the work was being done, we went and had lunch. First, yall need to know that Rick actually has a 4-wheel vehicle...lol...

Anyway, when we got back to the dealer, I took Rick for a short ride in the sidecar, and flew the chair a couple of times...and then I handed the rig over so he could take it for a little ride. I think it kinda scared him!! :stirthepot:

But we all survived and I rode back home, after a brief visit to Harbor Freight...something about the autopilot on ALL my bikes seems to fail when I ride by a Harbor Freight!

I also took a quick snapshot of Rick next to the yet-to-be-washed Ural.

Thanks Rick for the taxi ride to the restaurant, as we all know, this shape I'm in (round) needs to be maintained.

Guest tx2sturgis

Ural Delay Factor:

Friday I ran into a guy at one of the local biker type Bar&Grills in Amarillo, called Smokey Joes. Amongst the gawkers was this guy that said what is THAT doing here? (surrounded by dozens of Harleys)...I said I'm having a burger, why?

He said, he rode these in USSR, Armenia, Kazakhstan, Russia! He explained he worked in the oil industry in the mid 90s and they rode these from the oilrigs, into town, to have the company of women and drink beer...he said they just go and go, no matter the roads, or lack of roads, and "you cant tear them up"...and "I never thought I'd see one of these in Amarillo Texas!"

Cool! :happy34:

Then on Saturday I rode out to the weekly lunch at the local Harley dealership, Tripps. Yeah...right in front of the dealer...this pic:

Guest tx2sturgis

Nikki, a rather cute blonde friend of mine...on duty at the Broken Spoke in Amarillo that night, stepped outside for a little fresh air and Ural Girl posing:

:D

Guest tx2sturgis
Any friend of yours is a friend of mine. :thumbsup2:

Kathy, another friend of mine, loves riding in the sidecar. She is so relaxed she even talks on the cellphone as we ride thru traffic....

We rode over to the Amarillo Bluegrass Festival and checked out some pickin and grinin.

Guest tx2sturgis

Seventy five degrees here today. I am at the computer only briefly, as I decide on my ride.

In the meantime, I ran across this little article about Urals on the other side of the water.

Fun read, but be warned, if you like engine computers, fuel injection, ABS, traction control, rider/passenger intercoms, and satelite navigation, this might not make any sense to you at all.

http://mmcmusings.com/2013/01/26/its-not-urals-that-are-unreliable-its-their-owners/

Guest tx2sturgis

Stopped by the local hardware store/trading post (called McDonald Trading Post) to buy some miscellaneous bits of hardware, along with 2, 10 foot sticks of 3/4 aluminum square tubing for a project I'm working on.

That nose rack came in handy!

Right after I took these pics, I had a gentleman step up to visit about the rig...more UDF. http://sovietsteeds.com/forums/images/smilies/thumb.gif

After dropping off the tubing at my house, I took the rig out in some VERY loose and soft dirt fields near me, and used the 2WD for the first time under power.

In that mode, it likes to GO, but hates to TURN.

Now, if it would only snow! (its 67 degrees here today!) :smile5:

Guest tx2sturgis

Picked up a buddy who was passing thru on a delivery, we went riding around and I took him and the bike thru some mud and dirt, then rode to an empty parking lot and let him pilot the rig at slow speeds...he actually has some previous sidecar experience.

As we were standing there talking about the bike, we noticed a powered sailplane flying low and slow overhead.

I asked my buddy, if he might like to ride out to the airport and check it out when it lands. He said sure, so off we went.

When we got there, there was a small helicopter landing, and the sailplane. So we rode over to the hangar and began some chats about our respective toys.

What amazed me is the fact that these guys, who fly high-dollar toys, were VERY interested in, and impressed with, the Ural.

I took the helicopter pilot for a ride in the sidecar, and flew the chair, and he was giddy!...he lives in Washington state and said he will be looking them up when he gets home.

The sailplane pilot, told me if I show up tomorrow, he would give me a ride! Of course, I told him I would return the favor!

The helo pilot's name is Trevor and lives somewhere in Washington state, and returns there often. You never know! He might be a future Ural owner.

Cool!

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

Due to it being SuperSunday, AND it was very windy, AND the invite required a 100 mile round trip to the place where the plane was gonna be, AND the fact that I had a buddy visiting from out of town, the plane ride didnt happen.

I've ridden in more helicopters than fixed wing, but I have never ridden in a sailplane, so that should be fun. I googled the Ximango and it's a neat aircraft. Of course, for a new base price of $170,000-$190,000 and change, you might expect its a bit out of my price range. Darn.

I will meander out to the hangar some day soon, especially if I see that thing buzzing around..and maybe I can beg a ride later. I'm certain the Ural will remind him!

Edited by tx2sturgis

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tx2sturgis

Hate to make y'all jealous, but I went out for a ride in the snow today...yes, on the Ural. This was 'virgin' snow in this field that's not far from my house, and all the tire tracks you see are mine.

I took some video, and will post the links when it finishes the upload.

This was really the first time I have engaged the 2WD for more than 25 feet. I learned how to sharply turn the thing with the sidecar wheel engaged...a skill I didnt have and had to learn. It isnt hard to do, of course, you just have to give it lots of throttle and drift the back of the bike to one side or the other, this gets it pointed in the right direction, straighten the bars, and proceed in the new direction. Similar to a dirtbike in loose mud, but no need to drag a boot incase you drift too far and the bike starts to lowside.

Anyway, lots of fun!

Looks like a great time! Definitely looking forward to the video.

So, I take it the Ural did alright in 2WD through that light stuff?

I figure it should considering this 'west' Texan "snow" is no match for Mother Russia...

Now lets see the video of you doing that on the Venture! :witch_brew:

Hate to make y'all jealous, [...]

Yeah right; do you have some ocean front property just outside of Plainview to sell us too? :rasberry:

Guest tx2sturgis

Sure is an ugly dude riding my bike! :smile5:

But it looks like he's having fun.....

[ame]

[/ame]

[ame]

[/ame] Edited by tx2sturgis