IGNORED

Guess what year this scoot is...

SilvrT

Saw this in a parking lot today ... what year do you think it is?

btw, the owner and his lady are in their late 20's ... maybe very early 30's.

[ATTACH]72148[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]72149[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]72150[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]72151[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]72152[/ATTACH]

These are Russian copies of a 1939 BMW motorcycle. Russia received the bikes and plans for them from the Germans prior to the start of the second world war. After the war, they kept producing them with very few changes. Eventually they began to export them and have made some updates in electronics and brakes, etc., but the bikes are still the original version of the BMW. They are 750 cc. in the U.S. (and 650 cc elsewhere) and only come as a sidecar outfit. They were also produced as the "Dnepr" and exported as well. These often had a driven sidecar wheel and engines up to 1,000 cc. in the more modern versions. Great for 'off roading" or riding in the snow. I have a buddy with one of each and in the winter, he shakes up the locals by riding the two wheel drive Dnepr through the snow. With knobbies, it does surprisingly well. Dnepr is now out of production but you can still get an antique BMW motorcycle at the Ural store!

Here's a link to the Ural web site for more info:

http://www.ural.com/

Andy

These are Russian copies of a 1939 BMW motorcycle. Russia received the bikes and plans for them from the Germans prior to the start of the second world war. After the war, they kept producing them with very few changes. Eventually they began to export them and have made some updates in electronics and brakes, etc., but the bikes are still the original version of the BMW. They are 750 cc. in the U.S. (and 650 cc elsewhere) and only come as a sidecar outfit. They were also produced as the "Dnepr" and exported as well. These often had a driven sidecar wheel and engines up to 1,000 cc. in the more modern versions. Great for 'off roading" or riding in the snow. I have a buddy with one of each and in the winter, he shakes up the locals by riding the two wheel drive Dnepr through the snow. With knobbies, it does surprisingly well. Dnepr is now out of production but you can still get an antique BMW motorcycle at the Ural store!

Andy

Ah Ha that must be why it has 2wd sticker on the sidecar. Was wondering about the spare tire looked like it might fit either the bike or the hack.

Going back and looking I see the drive shaft over to the hack KEWL

The spare tire will actually fit on any of the 3 wheels.This model is called the Patrol.There is also a single wheel drive and there used to be one without the sidecar.I haven't been to the website lately so I don't know.They are getting quite pricey the last time I looked at them.I think they have an electric starter now and electronic ignition. Is fuel injection next.What about a cassett player?

That was quick :whistling: I don't know but it's :cool10: Never even heard of that brand. So how do you pronounce it ? From the looks of some of the things like the safety cut off switch and warning sticker on the tank I would guess fairly modern.

You pronounce it ... Yoo-ral

A few years ago a Ural completed the Iron Butt Rally.

Just!

The spare tire will actually fit on any of the 3 wheels.This model is called the Patrol.There is also a single wheel drive and there used to be one without the sidecar.I haven't been to the website lately so I don't know.They are getting quite pricey the last time I looked at them.I think they have an electric starter now and electronic ignition. Is fuel injection next.What about a cassett player?

The owner said he got it for $7k up here in Vancouver.... it's a 2006 and he's had it for only a couple weeks. Says it has 22k kms on it.

Everytime I see one of these, I'm remembering my 79 R-100 BMW, good old 60 HP, 485lb.

motorcycle. I still see a few of them around here in the Seattle area, on the roads in my area.

The 1000 CC Bmw engine makes about 60 HP in stock config. But there are upgrades avialable, you can bump the engines up to about 80 HP without to much trouble. On a 485 lb dry wgt. bike, 80 HP is fairly impressive !!

As I recall, San Jose, BMW, had upgrades, better heads, better ignition systems, and there was even a " Bolt On " Fuel Injection system avialable around 20 years ago. ( not sure if its still avialable ) There are also high performance Clutch's avialable for them.

I have been thinking about looking for a 77 to 81, R-100, and starting a project bike !! Well maby, Retirement is getting boreing, I need a project to work on !! Hmmmmm ?????? something to think about.

Very EASY, bikes to work on !!!

Andy

So I went to the Ural website to find out more about them and then looked up to see where dealers might be and turns out a local BMW dealer (http://www.bluemooncycle.com) here in the Atlanta area sells them which is about 10 min. from my daughters house so gave me an excuse to get out and ride, went by the dealer to check out what they had and then stopped by to see daughter & gdaughter. This dealer also happens to have a nice collection of vintage European bikes, most of which are for sale in case anyone's looking for something. kinda cool looking at all the old bikes, surprising how small they all seemed to be. They had a Ural sitting outside, looked like a single drive, their website has a 2WD 2012 listed for around 14K.

A Moto Guzzi dealer here in Toronto also sells Urals. I was told that they are pretty rugged bikes.

Just by coincidence I was on a different forum earlier and there were couple threads regarding Urals, one guy pulls his Kayak around with one. They say they are like tanks, will go about anywhere, especially the 2WD. It seems several folks ride them to Alaska cause there so tuff, good for all kinds of off road stuff.

• 1 month later...

we had a member here in birmingham,al in scrc and he lost his right leg just below the knee, due to diebetes and he bought a ural back in '02 to keep riding. he also still rides horses, in fact fedex, just delivered a package to me that was addressed to him and one to him with my address , i was out in the yard and the guy asked me if this was 610 and still got it wrong. i guess the new trainee threw him off on his route.LOL!