IGNORED

300 trouble free miles, then dead

I have put about 300 miles, 25 miles one way to work, mostly freeway on my '83 standard since getting it back together recently. Today on my way home, it started feeling like it was running on 3 cylinders (again), then got progressively worse. It was barely running on the off ramp, wouldn't rev and died at the light.

It would crank, but not run. I pushed it about 200 yards to a parking lot and called work for a tow truck (I am a dispatcher for AAA- nice perk --free tows). After waiting about 30 mins, i tried to start it and it fired right up. It ran like it had up to that point.

I made it the last 2 miles or so home. I do have the replacement TCI, mounted on top of the airbox.

Any ideas? I am thinking fuel pump/filter? It felt like it was running out of gas.

If it is not a fuel delivery issue, then I would suspect the CDI unit. The CDI's have been known to quit as the result of moisture getting inside, then when they dry out enough, they can work OK, and others suffer from failed soldered connections at the circuit board.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

'83, 88 Venture

Man of Steel:

The battery was new this season, but I agree with that advice. I will get it tested, but my voltage never dropped. Hoping I can get a agm battery this winter.

reddevilmedic:

Thanks for the part #. will save some time if i need it.

peder:

I hope its not the cdi....I have one of the replacement units from the group buy...When I opened my stock cdi, it had corrosion and the diodes were white and powdery, and crumbled when I touched them.

This spring I went through all the connectors for the ignition/stator, etc and replaced each side of all the connectors one at a time.

Something I just thought of. Will the bike die if the electrical connector plug going into the gauges comes loose? I ask because the lock tab on the connector is broken and I had to use several zipties to hold it in place. Thinking it is possible it may have come loose.

Battery cables are tight, and I have replaced the fuse block.

I've been dealing with a very similiar problem with my '84. I've got 66,000 miles on mine with a lot of upgrades and mods and have a lot of trouble free miles in the last couple of years. Recently I've had mine act the same way. Mosty my problem appears at highway speeds after a long, at speed ride.

Same issues you're having.

I had suspected the fuel pump for a while as the tank was lined a couple of years ago, all new fuel lines were installed and the filter is changed often. I bought the Mr. Gasket 42S as a replacement. I did have a used OEM pump as a backup but wanted to try the 42S as I wasn't sure of the condition of the used pump.

When I stripped the old pump out I saw I was going to need to make a bracket to mount the 42S the way I wanted it. So.... time being an issue I went ahead and installed the used pump. The bike primed quickly and the pump cycled fine and for shorter times than the old one. It starts up a bit faster than before and it seems to idle smoother. I've been pressing the bike at speed and RPM's to create a higher fuel demand and it hasn't stalled again.

I still intend to install the 42S but as is, it works fine so I have time to make the bracket the way I want.

There may be other issues involved but I think the fuel pump may be worth looking into in your situation.

Something to consider anyway.

Mike

So an update.....pulled the tank and found a few things. First ,the line from the tank to the pump looks original....it is extremely soft and you can rub rubber off of it. Second, the line from the pump to the tank is lose on the pump. The clamp is tightened down all the way but I can pull the hose

Sent from my MB855 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Yep. I'd say it's time for new fuel lines all through the system. The old line may even be collasping on the inside and restricting fuel flow.

I'm sursprised that feed line to the carbs ain't leaving a puddle under the bike.

How does the inside of the tank look? Any serious rust to deal with? Be a good time to line the tank if there is. That solved all of my early fuel problems.

Mike

Ok, hit the wrong button.....

I can pull the hose off. I think it is too large. It has a braided cover on it. Is that stock? Lastly, and I think this is my biggest problem, I removed the petcock and there is no strainer on it. I knocked a bunch of crap out of it. I still need to drain the tank and see if it is in there. But since the selector knob is broken and I don't know what position it is in, I wonder if it is "on"and it was removed to use all the fuel in the tank. So hopefully I don't need a fuel pump.

:thumbup: here is a pic of the petcock, and my helper

Sent from my MB855 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

If it's red and a woven cover...it's OEM. Time for a change for sure. If you are saying the petcock on the pickup side, inside the tank has no strainer on it, it should be replaced. I found several for my '84 on the Pinwall site for about $10.00.

If I remember right the '83 has a single pickup. Only on/off. But the '84 has a duel pickup with differnt heights inside for the run/reserve. Problem I was having was both pickup screens/filters on the petcock were badly damaged and rust flakes were dumping directly into the petcock right off the bottom of the tank and clogging the fuel filter, the pump and going into the carbs. Makes a heck of a mess.

I'd take the chance and replace to the petcock and the fuel lines completely. Like I said, a good time to line the tank and end any furture problems also.

This is the product I used and highly recommend it. Much better than Kreem and some other products as far as I'm concerned. The tank needs to be cleaned out but ALL the rust does not need to be removed. It's an epoxy based sealer that actually bonds better to the rusty surfaces. It feels like a Thermos bottle inside when it's done.

http://www.caswellplating.com/restoration-aids/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html

Mike

thats how my valve looks and do you think when your done with your helper if i could borrow him looks like after hes done with yours he will have no problem helping me fix mine :301: i would get my helper son but he is 16 and only interested in girls and video games :confused24: cant get him to do anything else and i got to bribe him :mo money: to clean his room:mo money: take out the trash :mo money: cut the grass:mo money: he just way to expensive :rotf::rotf::rotf:

I am planning on replacing all the lines and the filter. Havent looked inside the tank yet. ran out of time today. Hope it is ok, wont be able to line it until this winter. The fuel line to the carbs is black with the braided steel cover, so it must have been replaced once. I will have to find another shutoff valve. anybody have one?

And about my helper, He is smart but he doesn't listen very well. He is 2 1/2, and he has to do things on his own, or at least try before he wants help. His sister is 8 and she used to go out and help me too, but not too much anymore. If only i could bottle their energy......:backinmyday: