IGNORED

Tail of the Dragon/ must see areas

rickardracing

Randy,

At the northern end of the Moonshiner, you can find signs that take you to the cherohala Skyway.

http://www.cherohala.org/

Cherohala Skyway is about 6 miles south of the Tail of the Dragon off off Hwy 129

If you stay on the moonshiner, when you get to Franklin, NC, take HWY 64 "west" for about 4 to 6 miles..On your right side you will see a waterfall that you can ride your bikes up underneath where the water is flowing over you and you (nor the bikes) will get wet..(see attached Picture..below..)

If your looking for a GOOD place to eat lunch at, then I highly reccomend the Dillard House in Dillard Ga which is about 16 miles straight south of Franklin on HWY 441.

They do not take reservations...for they are not needed.. This is a factory that feeds people.. not a regular resturant..ha.. Very enjoyable palce to eat at.

Randy,

At the northern end of the Moonshiner, you can find signs that take you to the cherohala Skyway.

Cherohala Skyway is about 6 miles south of the Tail of the Dragon off off Hwy 129

If you stay on the moonshiner, when you get to Franklin, NC, take HWY 64 "west" for about 4 to 6 miles..On your right side you will see a waterfall that you can ride your bikes up underneath where the water is flowing over you and you (nor the bikes) will get wet..(see attached Picture..below..)

If your looking for a GOOD place to eat lunch at, then I highly reccomend the Dillard House in Dillard Ga which is about 16 miles straight south of Franklin on HWY 441.

They do not take reservations...for they are not needed.. This is a factory that feeds people.. not a regular resturant..ha.. Very enjoyable palce to eat at.

Eck, my father in-law said that was one of the spots we are going to along with the Cherohala Skyway. Looking forward to getting out of dodge for a week. No real plans for a change.

Look at some maps up around the Deals Gap (dragon) area. Fontana Dam is where they filmed the Fugitive (Harrison Ford one). Nice ride along the lakes there. Apple Barn in Siervierville has good eats and kind of neat if your over that way. Dalonagha Ga not to far away old gold mines and some cool old anique/country type stores. I hear tell there is a good ice cream joint in Highlands I think its called.

Randy,

Eck, I just rode home to ATL on that route and missed that waterfall pull off on 64 west. Anymore specific info on where that is? I'd love to see it.

My question is"How can you only spend a week there"? Wife and I have been riding the area since she first started riding in 1993, and we find places every time that we missed before!

That's easy to answer. I have a job, my wife has a job, my mother in-law has a job and my father in-law has a job. I only have a week paid off and trying to get 4 poeple that work full time off at the same time is not an easy task. This is when we can go and for how long.

Eck, my father in-law said that was one of the spots we are going to along with the Cherohala Skyway. Looking forward to getting out of dodge for a week. No real plans for a change.

If you want to meet at Dillard House for lunch or supper, I'd meet you. The food is great. Then I'd be happy to show you some good roads running west in the direction of Dahlonega, GA.

That's easy to answer. I have a job, my wife has a job, my mother in-law has a job and my father in-law has a job. I only have a week paid off and trying to get 4 poeple that work full time off at the same time is not an easy task. This is when we can go and for how long.

Yea, I know the feeling too, I have never been able to spend more than about 4 days in a row there myself. Fortunately it is close enough to trailer the Vulcans down after work on Friday, ride all day Saturday and Sunday and drag back to Richmond Sunday night. Still don't get to do that often enough though.

You'll be able to add 3 more states to your map when you get home!

Edited by Bob Myers

Yea, I know the feeling too, I have never been able to spend more than about 4 days in a row there myself. Fortunately it is close enough to trailer the Vulcans down after work on Friday, ride all day Saturday and Sunday and drag back to Richmond Sunday night. Still don't get to do that often enough though.

You'll be able to add 3 more states to your map when you get home!

If I remember how to add them!!

If you want to meet at Dillard House for lunch or supper, I'd meet you. The food is great. Then I'd be happy to show you some good roads running west in the direction of Dahlonega, GA.

Dillard you say....I will have to see where we are and what routes we are taking. I plan on taking the laptop so I will let you know if we get into the area.

Randy,

You will need to go south 28 east 64 out of Franklin,NC toward Highlands,NC to get to Bridal Veil Falls. Driving directions to Bridal Veil Falls3D

Franklin, NC

1. Head south on Iotla St toward E Main St/US-441 BUS S

161 ft

2. Continue onto Phillips St

358 ft

3. Turn left onto E Palmer St/US-441 BUS NContinue to follow US-441 BUS N

0.7 mi

4. Turn right onto N Carolina 28 S/Highlands RdDestination will be on the left

15.7 mi

Bridal Veil Falls

If you turn right on 64 and go about the 6 miles you can turn right on Wayah Road and it comes back out on hwy 19,74,129 turn left then a left on 129 at Topton,NC. It takes you back to Deals Gap, makes a big loop. :cool10: