IGNORED

Work from home?

Tnventurer

Dont go believing everything you read about working at home and making it rich..or even comfortable...

If it was all that true and easy, no one would be working at factories...and or stores..they would all be working from home ..

The only thing that pays well by working form home is... ops got to keep it G rated.

Those ads are very dangerous SCAMS. They want to collect all your personal info. [have to have SSN for your W-4, etc.]

I only know one person who works from home, but he is with the state govt & it took him many years to get home job, but still has to go in one day per week. Big $ Exec job.

The only legitimate Home job is 'ITS' out of Stanford & Princeton Universities for Online Scorers, but they require a degree & much testing regarding Rubrics.

A Teaching Certificate is preferred.

However, they are slowly replacing these people with computers.

Even that was an 8 hr job with a 5 min break on each side of a 30 min lunch. Not good.

I work from home but I am a systems tech and have everything rigged so I can. I don't believe any of those adds about get rich working from home. Also if you work from home you are ALWAYS at work which is my case. You do get a lot of leeway to do errands during the day but your days will quickly turn into 12 hour days.

I work from home but I am a systems tech and have everything rigged so I can. I don't believe any of those adds about get rich working from home. Also if you work from home you are ALWAYS at work which is my case. You do get a lot of leeway to do errands during the day but your days will quickly turn into 12 hour days.

I think it depends on the Definition of 'rich' a Lot .... :D :D :D :D :D

I don't know nothing about the Terms and Conditions in US, but i agree with the 'always at Work' Thing. I've done that for some Time when i was self employed. It was getting horrilbe. I was very glad when i moved my Office out of my Home.

Virtually all of the "work-at-home" offers are actually disguised marketing scams. You will spend money out-of-pocket attempting to obtain business for the company you work for and then will only be rewarded with compensation if and when a customer actually bites. This technically provides the company with an employee that doesn't cost them anything!

Regrettably, most of the offers to start an actual home-based business also lead nowhere, although there are a small number that are bonafide. By bonafide, I mean that you are able to affiliate with a company that provides a desirable product or service at a fair market price.

The bottom line in business is that one must sell and provide a product or service to another party in exchange for consideration (usually cash!). That's why, although the theory is actually sound, most (but not all) multi-level marketing companies don't work: the product is over-priced and you and everyone else that joins become a supposed wholesale consumer rather than a salesman.

So, be wary and be careful! There are good companies out there, but they are few and very far between...

Terry

Virtually all of the "work-at-home" offers are actually disguised marketing scams. You will spend money out-of-pocket attempting to obtain business for the company you work for and then will only be rewarded with compensation if and when a customer actually bites. This technically provides the company with an employee that doesn't cost them anything!

Regrettably, most of the offers to start an actual home-based business also lead nowhere, although there are a small number that are bonafide. By bonafide, I mean that you are able to affiliate with a company that provides a desirable product or service at a fair market price.

The bottom line in business is that one must sell and provide a product or service to another party in exchange for consideration (usually cash!). That's why, although the theory is actually sound, most (but not all) multi-level marketing companies don't work: the product is over-priced and you and everyone else that joins become a supposed wholesale consumer rather than a salesman.

So, be wary and be careful! There are good companies out there, but they are few and very far between...

Terry

This is all very true. There are plenty of ways to make money but the trick is to find the right fit for you. If it's legal it will make money for someone, but will it make money for you? From Quixtar to Herbalife to Mary kay, they will all make money but not everyone will do what it takes to make them work. Like Blackjack said, most will require some form of selling. If you enjoy it you will do it and be successful but if you don't you won't. Look for something you like doing that has a proven track record. Avoid the "ground floor opportunities" and always remember if it looks too good to be true it probably is.

Good luck.

I'm a computer programmer and worked from home for 7 years before being transferred to OK and required to be onsite in the client's office.

Since I work for a company and not myself - always had the same paycheck and benefits as the staff that work in the office.

The only think working from home does is allows you to buy your own coffee and toilet paper, heat your house during the day, and lets you wear bunny slippers and jammies all day, and save time and gas on the short commute to the office.

I work out of my home. But..... I built my business from the ground up. If you're thinking about one of those companies, think again. The only one making any money is the company running the ad. Find something you know a lot about, and design a biz around it, then open up an Ebay store in lue of creating a web presence. It'll cost you a few bucks, but the exposure is the best on the net. When people ask me what I do, I tell them I buy things and I sell things. The very basics of business...

Hey Fred, I work from home (when not traveling) but it was a position I evolved into after a few years working for a big company. As far as the ones advertised, I'd agree with the sentimate already stated and probably stay away from them. If you want to do something, find a source of unique products and resell them on e-bay.

Example: Like to tinker? Buy old bikes locally off of Craigs list (under $1000) and part them out on e-bay. If you stick with popular models you can make reasonable money if it's something you enjoy.

You can do similar things if you can fabricate, know someone who can, have a source for heavily discounted merchandise etc. That's the only one I know to work for sure. It still depends on finding a source of merchandise at a cost that is less than what you'd be able to sell for though. E-bay is a great marketing machine with lots of looks assuming you find soimething to sell that people want.

Good luck bud.

Guest KitCarson

Nothing beats just saying Hi. Figure out what you like to do, and go out and just meet people. Walk right up to them and just talk to them. Figure out where you can sell your product or service and make contacts. A smile and a handshake is the best advertisement there is. Yes you will make 50 contacts to gain one customer........and of the ten you gain....you will lose half. But the other half will become loyal customers.

I experimented with a web site.....service plumbing.....I worked on it.....a couple friends helped me with it and my son polished it. Just yesterday I canceled it. It has had a full year to work.....and I have had exactly two calls off of it......both just to ask me a question. The last past four months I even tried a pay per click thing with it......brought it out so people could actually find me......does not work.......phone books are marginal...depends on what you do.........newpaper adds worthless.......what works for me is just get out and talk to people......figure out who needs your product......and make contacts.

And that work from home stuff......or the books to tell you how to get rich quick.....the only one making any money are those selling the schemes.

One thing for example I have done in the past ......do not have time now.......I used to buy fancy hardwoods....maple, cherry, walnut, even cypress........I used to turn salad bowls.....wood and stuff did not cost but like 25 dollars.....time for one bowl 1/2 day....and this was 7 years ago.......and I used to get 600 dollars for a handmade bowl like that.....folks will pay for unique things.

Most people I know who work at home are doing the same job they used to do in an office, and generally for the same people that signed their paycheck. They got there by being laid off, or leaving then coming back.

If you work now, ask your employer about work at home opportunities. Or a previous employer, if you left in good standing. If you're starting from scratch, your safest shot is to ask companies who use whatever it is you do, and start life as a contractor. The paycheck isn't as regular, but when you're busy, you carry the cash home in wheelbarrows- not! Some temp agencies offer work at home; sometimes as a customer rep answering phones.

All the online and infomercial ads are ripoffs. You write them a big check, and they give you the same advice you got here, for free. If it was that easy, we'd all be working in our bunny slippers.

12 hour days.

How'd you get so lucky?

:sign just kidding:

When I ran my computer business, my days were generally upwards of 16hrs and often times 7 days a week. That was my fault tho ... I hated turning business away ... after several years of that, I eventually learned that my sanity was worth more than the almighty dollar. After 20 years of self employment, I finally got tired of it and got a "real job". Now I work 8am - 4:30pm, 5 days a week, get regular breaks, got good benefits, no stress, no taking the work home, sit at a desk and pretend to be busy.... make a "reasonable" salary... 3 weeks holidays every year plus 6 health days a year.... I'm lovin it!