IGNORED

Anybody ride their tourer up to Alaska?

JeffC

Well, after my trip to Oregon and Glacier NP ride last year I'm planning on Alaska for the summer of 09. Thinking of going back to Glacier NP, to Banff and up the rockies to Dawson Creek and then the Alaskan highway to Fairbanks. From there to the Arctic circle and back again. I've read a couple of ride reports of people doing it on their Goldwings, so I figure my RSTD can do it fine. Anybody else taken this trip? I'm planning on picking up the Milepost this year to start planning. I need to make the round trip in less than 20 days, so I'm a little concerned about the timing of everything.

Hi Jeff,

I rode my Venture up there last year. The trip was great except for the construction along the way. From Haines Junction to Beaver Creek we ran into a few miles of construction and in the rain so it was slow going. From Beaver Creek to the border the road has a lot of frost heaves in it and I bottomed out a few times and scratched my pipes. From the Border to Tok there were quite a few dips and potholes in the road but after that the road was good again. Sure is a beautiful place to ride. We always stopped for gas before we got too low because you can never be sure if the gas station listed on the map or GPS is still open. We ran into a few that were closed down. We went in June and found that there were no mosquitoes or black flies to contend with but when we got higher up between Haines Junction and Haines we had ice flows in the river and snow beside the road so we had to plug in our heated vests.

JayJay (Gene)

Jeff;

Now you got me thinking. I could leave from Wichita easy enough, lots of family there.

How many miles/day?

Camping or lodging?

Leave/return dates?

Hey Popeye. It will be me for sure. Perhaps my buddy who rides a Road Star. We ride pretty hard, but we're not in a particular hurry. My rough schedule:

Day 1. Wichita to someplace around Sheridan Wyoming. hotel

Day 2. Sheridan to West Glacier MT. Camp

Day 3. Glacier to Banff/Jasper. Camp

Day 4. Banff/Jasper to Dawson Creek. Hotel?

Day5-6. Dawson Creek to Whitehorse. Camp

Day7-8. Whitehorse to Fairbanks. Camp - Hotel in Fairbanks

Day 9 - Run to the Arctic Circle

Day 10 Whatever we decide? Maybe rest!

Day 11 - 20 will be heading back.

We may run a little harder coming back, and we may stop in Oregon and see a friend for a day. I'm figuring on a tire change somewhere (probably Fairbanks?). I have been known to run several 1K days back to back, but my buddy is unwilling to do more than three in a row. Our plan is summer 2009. Probably June/July. I think some of the passes open June 15, so that may be the best.

I have been known to run several 1K days back to back, but my buddy is unwilling to do more than three in a row. Our plan is summer 2009. Probably June/July. I think some of the passes open June 15, so that may be the best.

Your a better man than me, The wife and I have done some 900 mile days and I wont do it back to back. You got some brass cahoneys there bud :happy34:

The dates look good for my sched.

That's certainly not a trip to make alone.

Being from the north, I'd count on needing a tire change [& a possible wheel] from sneaky potholes, freeze ridges, construction.

I think 3 ironbutts in a row would be my limit too.

Endurance riding just isn't the fun it used to be, a decade ago.

If I make a trip to beautiful scenery, I'd like to stop & enjoy it & explore many places, meet the locals, etc., instead of racking up mileage to 'just-get-there'...& back. Gotta have pics & many stories for such an adventure.

More than 20 days for me, but then I'd REALLY have to worry about the 'blackflies'.

I can deal with the occassional bear tearing up my camp, but 'blackflies' ain't happening to me.

Doing that many miles on the slab really only requires two things:

1. Underarmor seamless undershorts or bike shorts. I alternate

2. Being willing to dump monkey butt powder down them during gas stops. :rotf:

The XM radio and the noise blocking ear buds help too!

The shorts sound like a good idea, butt I'd absolutely need my sheepskin to sit on for anything over 400 miles straight.

My buddy has one and I'm going to try one too. I must be the only person that absolutely loves the stock RSTD seat.

I'm thinking about doing a 10-14 day trip up through Seattle and into Canada, east through Calgary and Banff, then back into the U.S. through Glacier. Plan on visiting bro. in Kalispell MT, and daughter in Shoshone ID before heading back into Oregon, south to Reno, and then back to the barn. You can have the artic circle and those 1000 mile days. I'm going to take lots of pics and sight see. Going to yank a trailer and do a little camping while I'm at it. The time frame is still open, but I thought I might try to time it for Street Vibrations in Reno which would be in mid September.

Thanks for all the responses and links to information. I really appreciate it!

I know this is a fast trip and I wish I could ramble a bit more, but my vacation time is limited (2 weeks + a Thursday and Friday). I know I'm not going to get to see and do it all. But, I'll find some places I like and come back later. My wife, who was not all that keen on my Glacier trip solo, is not so keen on this trip either. So, I need to go while I still have permission! I really want to go this summer, but I just don't have the vacation time, and I need to formulate a strategy to get the money gathered up. Last time I sold a bunch of copper and aluminum. :cool10:

• 11 months later...
Guest Alaskan

A friend an I rode it Fairbanks south to Haines, took the Alaska Ferry to Prince Rupert, BC. rode to the lower 48 and back to Alaska, this was in the mid 80's. The Alcan today is paved most of the way, the Yukon is still a lot of dirt roads, good ones, but still dirt. Best time to ride the Alcan is in late June til mid August. By-pass Anchorage, we call it Seattle north, Fairbanks and North Pole still have some of the old Alaska flavor.

Good riding, Alaskan

Ferry up inside passage goes to many jump off points allowing you to skip tundra areas where noseeums will tear your ass up. I use the alsakan "hiway" many times, it's inexpensive, you can jump off and jump back on anytime anywhere for one price, camp on deck free, cafeteria's, hot showers and let's you put senseless miles where they belong behind you and you can cherry pick GREAT sites with MUCH more time.

Check it out google alaska ferry system have schedules fares et all really inexpensive and AWESOME scenery from boat as you go to next drop off.

Bull

Couple of damn fine houses where Ladies of the evening reside outside Fairbanks, I mean REAL fine.

A friend an I rode it Fairbanks south to Haines, took the Alaska Ferry to Prince Rupert, BC. rode to the lower 48 and back to Alaska, this was in the mid 80's. The Alcan today is paved most of the way, the Yukon is still a lot of dirt roads, good ones, but still dirt. Best time to ride the Alcan is in late June til mid August. By-pass Anchorage, we call it Seattle north, Fairbanks and North Pole still have some of the old Alaska flavor.

Good riding, Alaskan