IGNORED

Avon Venoms current status

mfg date 2010...

heavy cracking & early wear on rear Avon Venom 10,000 miles

(This tire was a Avon factory replacement for a cracked tire)

lots of light cracking on sidewalls of front Venom tire 15,000 miles with lots to go

(front tire is technically a rear tire mounted backwards on front)

Avon tires are even below the Korean tires on my list. I've had enough of Avon's "cosmetic" (as they describe it) sidewall cracking. There is no excuse for it. Especially after getting a factory replacement!!!!

I love the handling & the rear tire on the front is great except for the ALL OVER sidewall cracking.

By the way, I put 10 to 12k miles on a year on expressway roads with bouncing curves at speeds of 40 to 70 every work day that I drive (every non-raining day).

J.B

Running Bridgestone Exedra MAX as well, 6,000Miles really like them. Better in the rain than the E3 IMO Hope they last as long as the E3s do.

I see both an 160 and 170 width rear tire in the new Bridgestone. Be anxious to see if anyone tries one of them also.

http://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/exedra/max.html

• 4 weeks later...

Couldn't get an E3 for the rear. (BackOrder) So I ended up getting the Avon Venoms. Really like them so far. Quiet, Smooth, Handle Well. Didn't push them to hard riding in the rain, but seemed to handle the wet well. Should keep me happy for a long time, as long as they don't start cracking.

I had the avon venoms on my 89. did not like them, from the beginng the back end went squirrly as I approached 65 mile per hour (105km/hr) Then two months later the hairline cracks showed up only 200 km on the tires. Took them back to Zedno's. The owner there did not hesitate to replace them and once inside I saw a some new dunlop E2's and he was more than willing to mount then instead of another set of avons.

With regards to the hairline cracks you need to check the date stamp on the tire. To my understanding the cracking only involves the tires with that date stamp. I no longer remember the date but it is noted in one of the posts regarding the issue.

Well I couldn't get a set of E-3's anywhere (back order) so I took a chance and ordered the Avon's.

I had a set of Venom's years ago on a Vulcan and they sucked in the rain.

I hope they have improved.

I see lots of good comments on them so I figured I would give them another chance.

Crossing fingers.....

:fingers-crossed-emo

After reading the many posts on this site regarding tires, I decided to put a set of Venoms on my '06 RSV. Only had 7800 miles on the OEM bridgestones, but they were six years old. My first impressions; words like agile, responsive etc. Very nimble at lower speeds. Not as rock steady at interstate speeds as the Bridgestones, but so far I like them.:cool10: