IGNORED

Battery Life ... ?

Guest Slab_Ryder

I cleaned both battery terminals the other day and rode since then with no ill effects at all. I noticed very minimal amount of dirt and corrosion on the terminals - cleaned with a small wire brush and wiped clean and then reinstalled connectors. It is just amazing no matter how small the dirt is around the terminals, it still has a significant effect on the starting ability of the battery. FWIW, this is my 2nd battery and has lasted about 4 years now. The bike has 51K miles to date.

What FF says. Something that helps is after cleaning and tightening the terminals cover them with petroleum jelly, better known as Vaseline.

What FF says. Something that helps is after cleaning and tightening the terminals cover them with petroleum jelly, better known as Vaseline.

Hmmm. This is the first time I heard about the benefit of Petroleum Jelly on battery terminals. I don't know, if we have something around the house. I'll ask the family. ;)

Thanks

Well My battery in the 07 is the original. the PO had a tender lead installed because he didn't ride at all.(why get a bike) Since I 've had it I don't use the tender. I do however clean my terminals often. my 96 literally ate batteries due to poor cables and connections. it took me a while to run down all the loose terminals and chaff spots on that bike.

So many people just snug up the terminals because they're afraid of over tightened and stripping. I always bear down on the last quarter turn, pushing the bit down into the screw head, and I listen for that little squeal.

As far as charging system being inadequate? i've read hear or another forum that the RSV actually puts out max volts all the time and dumps the excess to ground. I've run for hours with the AUX lamps both sets of LEDSand having phone plugged into the power port, and never had an issue.

The first time it started funny i panicked , after checking the battery i went through the system and the started switch in the grip was at fault. well 20 minutes latter i had reinstalled and reassembled the switch after polishing the contacts back to a mirror finish with my drexel. Since then no more issues. I've got $$ put aside for a new battery. Probably going to order YUSA on line and hope for another 10 years