IGNORED

Star/Yamaha falling further behind

midnightrider1300

Rickard, Do you buy new cars and trucks?

Yes I do. One every five years. For my wife. I want her to have a dependable mode of transportation. Once it's paid off, I take that vehicle for me and she gets the next new one and trade in the old one. I do not buy used cars anymore. Too many pos's out there. In my humble opinion leasing ruined the used car market. At one time you could buy a decent used car. Now when you go to a lot, they are full of turned in leases. Very few poeple properly maintain a lease. The last few used cars I bought from private owners were ok, but I prefer to buy cars new. I think poeple tend to take better care of their scoots on a whole versus car owners. But this is not about new cars. It's about the never to be seen revised Venture.

Why do you ask?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, how many poeple here would actually go buy a new Venture if they came out with one. I bet not many. I know I will probably NEVER buy a bike new. Why take that big of loss? I bought my bike (07 RSV) in 2009. It had just over 9k miles on it. Came with the trunk light, trunk rack, bag rails, aux lights in front and rear. I bought it from the original owner and came with all the reciepts. He bought it new, added all the do dads, paid close to 21k for everything. I paid 11k for it. He took a 10k loss over two years. Why take that kind of hit? Not me. My next bike will probably be a Vaquero and it will be purchased used with low miles. I will let the other guy take the initial loss. So even if Yammi does come out with a new Venture in the near or more than likely very distant future, I would not buy a new one.

Actualy if no one ever bought a new bike you wouldn't be able to buy a used one. Same goes for cars and everything else.

Mike

Actualy if no one ever bought a new bike you wouldn't be able to buy a used one. Same goes for cars and everything else.

Mike

Wow, glad you told me that. I never knew. I feel so much more enlightened. Thank you so much for your wisdom.

I never said nobody should not buy new. I am willing to bet that MOST of those who are posting about this probably would not buy new. I was just curious as to how many would actually drop the coin for one. Certain things I do buy new, certain things I do not. Cars yes, I do. You take a huge hit on the resale of a motorcycle in the first 2 or 3 years when you buy new. All I said was that I am not willing to take that big of a hit. PERIOD. Anyone else have a can of gas to put out the flames?

I can go all day. :stirthepot:

But no worries, I still love you all. We all have our opinions. I respect them all.

As long as you agree with me..............

If you havent installed a speedohealer, then you can figure about 7-10% less fuel mileage. The odometer, like the speedometer, is optimistic in the stock configuration.

Your ACTUAL fuel mileage is proabably about 38-41 mpg. Still not bad tho.

:happy34:

Hmm, My odo was right on in stock configuration. Verified it with GPS and state and federal mileage markers tests. But the speedo was fast of by 9%. After adding the speedohealer now the speed is right and the odo is off.

I figure that my bike buying days are coming close to an end. I MAY buy one more bike and will then expect it to last me until I am done riding. If I do that, I would kind of like for it to be a new one.

I'm in the same boat. Next one is the last one along with the next truck being the last one I figure.

Guest tx2sturgis
Hmm, My odo was right on in stock configuration. Verified it with GPS and state and federal mileage markers tests. But the speedo was fast of by 9%. After adding the speedohealer now the speed is right and the odo is off.

Oh ok...well maybe I missed the mark here...but mine was off before I added the speedohealer.

So maybe some of them are correct..which means that there is some variance at the factory as far as calibration....not sure I like the sound of that...but I guess it is what it is...:yikes:

Some of them may be different but I've found on all that I've checked that the ODO and the speedometer are both off but not by the same percentage. Most of the speedos are off about 7.5%...maybe 8.5...I don't remember now. Most of the ODO are off about 3 percent. Correcting the speedo actually make the ODO off the other direction about 4%.

Yes I do. One every five years. For my wife. I want her to have a dependable mode of transportation. Once it's paid off, I take that vehicle for me and she gets the next new one and trade in the old one. I do not buy used cars anymore. Too many pos's out there. In my humble opinion leasing ruined the used car market. At one time you could buy a decent used car. Now when you go to a lot, they are full of turned in leases. Very few poeple properly maintain a lease. The last few used cars I bought from private owners were ok, but I prefer to buy cars new. I think poeple tend to take better care of their scoots on a whole versus car owners. But this is not about new cars. It's about the never to be seen revised Venture.

Why do you ask?

I agree, this IS about the never to be seen revised Venture. Lol. I was just asking because I think your philosophy of how to buy a good bike and save a ton of money is very valid. As a matter of fact, I have used that process for many years to buy myself and my wife's cars. I spent a decade in the car business, and if it teaches you one thing, it'll teach you that there hardly ever is a valid reason for buying a brand new vehicle of any kind. On the rare occasion, it makes sense to buy new if the new vehicle price is discounted so incredibly deep(ie:end of model year discounts and rebates) that it is getting close to what a used price would be.

No big deal. I was just asking the question because you were so adamant about how people should buy used instead of new, which I think is a smart idea, i just wondered if you used that same smart philosophy across all your vehicle buys.

BTW, I hate for you that you can't find good clean low mileage vehicles up in that part of the country, down here in this area it really isn't a problem to find well taken care of used cars.

One comment about Harley...

Nancy has been interested in getting her license and we've looked at the Honda's, Suzuki, and Yamaha bikes. She is only 5'2" and needs a low seat.

At the Japanese dealers.... what you see is what you get. You want different handle bars... take what is on the bike and buy something else. Different seat? Do the same thing, take the stock seat that comes with the bike and then buy something else.

Went to the local Harley dealer before dinner today. At the Harley dealer... they showed us how they can make the bike fit her. They loosened the handle bars and lowered them towards her. They even replaced the seat right there in the show room with one that would move her forward on the 883. You want something changed, they have 5 options they can add to the bike. They offer 3 different handle bars, 2 seat options, 2 control positions... plus other optional parts/configurations.

Mind you... you want a Harley... you pay a couple thousand $'s more.

I bought my 05 RSV new in september 05. My wife and I have had many good rides and good times. We have been to Key West, Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Alabama. I hope to be able to buy another bike before I get too old but it won't be a venture. It will be an Ultra Classic. If I can't get a new one it will be an 09 or later. If the economy doesn't get better soon I won't get another bike. I am 61 and time is running out.

BigLenny, let me revise the "I won't never buy a new bike" comment. If I were to find what I wanted new at a dealer and it was deeply discounted, say a two model year old "new" bike that was never sold at the dealer, I could be swayed. There are deals like this out there. When you see them, you gotta jump on it right then and there.

Don, thanks for the info on the speedohealer.

Speaking of a new bike, I almost pulled the trigger on a new one a couple of weeks ago.

I love my Venture, but the economy is so bad anymore that I would really like to help out the good old U S of A - so I was looking at the Victory Cross Country Tour and the Harley Road Glide Ultra.

They're both awesome bikes as most of you guys know. The Harleys have improved tremendously in the last 5 years. Harley was going to give me an awesome trade-in on my Venture, but a local Victory dealer was really dealing on the 2012 Victory.

I was all set to make a decision, but when I didn't sleep a wink the night before I think I was trying to tell myself something. (Like you don't need a big payment right now dummy.) So I'm saving towards a new one now instead.

But I'm riding from Fl to Alaska in a few years so I need something rock solid dependable...So I may stick with my Venture. I'm getting to know these Ventures pretty well, the others are beautiful and way cool (esp the Harleys), but dependability wise, I still don't think the Harleys quite measure up to the Venture. The newer Victorys haven't really been out long enough to know for sure.

Oh well, I'll quit rambling.

Ride Safe,

1/2crazed

....But I'm riding from Fl to Alaska in a few years so I need something rock solid dependable...So I may stick with my Venture.....

1/2crazed

That says a lot right there about the best bike, whether it is a 1st Gen or 2nd... they just keep running.

I bought my 05 RSV new in september 05. My wife and I have had many good rides and good times. We have been to Key West, Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Alabama. I hope to be able to buy another bike before I get too old but it won't be a venture. It will be an Ultra Classic. If I can't get a new one it will be an 09 or later. If the economy doesn't get better soon I won't get another bike. I am 61 and time is running out.

You maybe 61, but you got a long way to go my friend.

Rickard,

I noticed that trailer in your profile pic. What brand is it? Do you recommend it?

I'm looking at getting a trailer. I have a wife that is trying to get the Heisman trophy in shopping, and when we are traveling I'm tired of seeing the sad dog face when we don't have the room for her to buy something. Thought I might give us a little more room on the long trips.

Rickard,

I noticed that trailer in your profile pic. What brand is it? Do you recommend it?

I'm looking at getting a trailer. I have a wife that is trying to get the Heisman trophy in shopping, and when we are traveling I'm tired of seeing the sad dog face when we don't have the room for her to buy something. Thought I might give us a little more room on the long trips.

I love this trailer. It is a Dart trailer. I attached a link. Not necessarily the place to buy one. I included it because it has a few nice pics of the trailer. You can just Google Dart motorcycle trailers. This think pulls great. Does not sway or bounce. Towed it from Michigan out to Colorado abd back last year. 4000 miles round trip, no issues. There are tons of styles and manufacturers, tear drop, some guys swear by the Harbor Frieght with a car top carrier on top. I got this one used. It had only been used once. I paid $1400 for it. I really was not even in the market for one. It became available, I looked and bought it. I replaced the white wagon wheels with some nice aluminum wheels and painted it to match the bike. The only thing I do not care for is the length. It's looooooong. I guess it all depends on how much your willing to spend and what style. My brother in-law has a tear drop that he pulls with his Midnight Venture and seems to get less gas mileage than me. Could be the the front of the trailer catching wind. Who knows.

http://www.barebonesmctours.com/darttrailer.htm

I love this trailer. It is a Dart trailer. I attached a link. Not necessarily the place to buy one. I included it because it has a few nice pics of the trailer. You can just Google Dart motorcycle trailers. This think pulls great. Does not sway or bounce. Towed it from Michigan out to Colorado abd back last year. 4000 miles round trip, no issues. There are tons of styles and manufacturers, tear drop, some guys swear by the Harbor Frieght with a car top carrier on top. I got this one used. It had only been used once. I paid $1400 for it. I really was not even in the market for one. It became available, I looked and bought it. I replaced the white wagon wheels with some nice aluminum wheels and painted it to match the bike. The only thing I do not care for is the length. It's looooooong. I guess it all depends on how much your willing to spend and what style. My brother in-law has a tear drop that he pulls with his Midnight Venture and seems to get less gas mileage than me. Could be the the front of the trailer catching wind. Who knows.

http://www.barebonesmctours.com/darttrailer.htm

Thanks. Great info.

Do you notice any less HP performance when you're pulling it? Does it make the bike feel sluggish?