IGNORED

OEM or replacement spin on filters

My question is what are the advantages of converting the oem cartridge filters to the spin on variety? Are the spin on versions a better filtering system then the oem's or is it because there's more choices using the spin ons?

Also if switching to a spin on type who or where has the best conversion adapters? :confused24:

This is for an 83.

Larry

Hey Larry,

The main reason I changed mine to the spin-on (Rivco) was after finding out how bad the local stealer were gouging into my pocket, and the added conveinence of the spin-on during oil changes.

I was buying OEM filters from the stealers when I first bought the bike. For about $6.00 got the filter with the o-ring together. (If they had them in stock) After about the 4th oil change I noticed the o-ring was not in the box. When I questioned the lack of an o-ring they went in the back again and brought out the o-ring in a zip lock sandwich bag with $3.00 written on it. The OEM filter itself was now $7.50 without the o-ring plus the the $3.00 for the o-ring. Another local shop was doing the same thing AFTER waiting a week and a half for the filter to be ordered and shipped.

Not cool.

But the Rivco adaptor was about $90.00 when I bought mine so it's getting close to breaking even on the intital cost. The spin-on filters I buy run from $3.50 to $5.95 each and can pick one that will fit from about any auto supply store where ever I am. If I had been paying stealer prices it would have paid for itself by now.

During an oil change (and I have the '86 lower chin on my '84) I use a plier type filter wrench and reach inside the chin to loosen the filter to remove it. No other parts need to be removed. It takes all of 10 minutes to do a full oil change.

As far as the quality of the spin-on fliters, been some discussion on that, I'm not to worried about it. I change my fliters often enough, more often than I did with the OEM setup, that it is a non-issue for me.

The Rivco adaptor is nice, but have not seen any other kits available to compare. It's such a simple adaptor I can't imagine a lot of difference between them.

Mike

I put the Rivco on my 89 for convenience, I don't think they do a bad job of filtering in fact I had a toilet paper filter in a studebaker that I had and I actually think it did a better job than the spin on. It was absolutely a mess to change though and I prefer the spin on just for simplicity sake.

I still use the OEM type filter on mine. The problem I see with it's more of a pain to change the OEM filter than a spin-on. I agree with Snaggletooth that it costs a bit more to change the OEM type filter than the spin ons, because a long, long time ago, the dealer I used to use charged $12 for the cartridge, and like Snaggletooth said, the O-ring was extra. Then I found out that you could by a Fram cartridge for it (the P/N is 6002) for about $5 at Farm & Fleet. I know that the Fram spin-ons have had a lot of bad press, but you can take a look at the cartridges and tell that they are made well.........no cardboard like the Fram spin ons. Auto Zone had it for about the same price, but I haven't seen them there lately. When Pioneer Motorsports was at maintenance days a couple of years ago, they had the genuine Yammie cartridges there for about $7, so I bought a few. I intended on picking up more Thursday, but the weather convinced us to leave for home from the motel, so that didn't happen.

Another thing.....there is no need to change the O-ring, unless it gets damaged. I just keep a genuine Yammie spare O ring in my parts bin. Then I re-use the old one. I've been riding 1st Gens since 4/83, and before that I had an XS-750 that used the same filter. In all that time, I've only HAD to change the O ring 2 or 3 times. Just make sure the old O-ring is in the groove and use the old one. The last time I tried to use the O ring that comes with the Fram filter, it was a touch too big and wouldn't stay in the groove like the OEM O ring does. They may have fixed that problem.

The bottom line....the spin on is easier to change. To put the OEM back on, you hold the filter housing in place with one hand, make sure the o-ring didn't fall out of the groove, and with the other hand, take your 3/8 ratchet with a 12 mm socket on it and start turning the mounting bolt. It's something you cuss at every time you do it. But I never bought a spin on adapter.

Frank D.

remeber to line "up the "2 ears". The ugly thing about the OEM...is start up after your oil change. Actually it takes about 10 seconds for the cartridge to fill and oil pressure to start building to the engines internals. So that's 10 seconds no oil pressure. With the spin on you can prime it some. Having the a pressure gauge full time. Primed Spin-on it's 3 seconds for full pressure. Just something to think about.:whistling:

I buy stock type WIX filters for $4.95 from rock auto they come with both o rings in the box with each new filter. I'd love a spin on adapter, but I can buy enough stock filters to outlive the bike for the price of the spin on adapter. Why guys think that thing is worth $80.00 I cant understand.

Plus I worry about the spin on oil filters causing problems. if they have an anti-flowback valve they wont open with the very low oil pressures our bikes run at.

Well guys thanks for all the info here. Considering the cost of the adapter, the age of the bike and its milage I'm going to side with Tim on this one. I can't justify the cost of the adapter even if you do save on the filters themselves. After 29 years and 76+k the bike still runs great so this is one of those "if it ain't broke don't fix it" things in my book.

Larry