IGNORED

Biker down in Hamburg Michigan

rickardracing

Well I had the unfortunate task of helping a biker that went down this morning. My next door neighbor and I left for work at the same time. She and I were the second and third on the scene. He was laying face down in a pool of blood. Looks like he may have hit a deer. He was wearing only a half shell helmet. They look cool, but did not keep the gravel from being impacted into his right ear canal. He may lose the hearing from that, his face was covered in blood, major road rash and missing tissue on the right side of his face, left eye had no pupil visible, just red. Right foot.....facing the wrong direction. He was awake, he could not breathe, knocked the wind out of him. I helped him sit up so he could breathe easier. He kept trying to get up to get his bike. I asked him to listen to me, biker to biker, if he promised not to get up, I would go pick up his bike. He agreed and I picked up the bike and rolled it off the road. It WAS a nice Ultra Classic. He was more concerned about the bike than himself. I understand, I probably would be too in the same situation. Once EMS and the police arrived I asked the officer in charge that when they call for the tow truck, to please request a flat bed so there would be less damage done to guys ride. He said he would do that for him. Let's all be careful out there. Watch for mother nature on the back roads. You just never know.

Sorry to hear that, not a good way to start the day.

As far as towing, unless the flat bed has special equipment for bikes, I have seen them just hook the front wheel and drag it up onto the trailer while laying on its side. A friend of mine works for a towing service. they have one special truck for picking up bikes, and only one of their flatbeds has a bike dolly. If you don't get one of those 2 trucks your bike rides on its side. If it is being recovered from a crash, they don't worry about additional damage.

eat more venison.....

Glad you were there to help.

I think I'm throwing away any helmet that isn't a full face.

The only reason I said anything about the helmet is because I saw first hand how little protection it did offer. Changes your perspective when you actually get someone elses blood on your hands as I realized I did when I got to work. I hope this does not turn into a helmet thread. I want poeple to just be aware of the non motorized dangers such as wildlife and even tree branches that fall on windy days. Please everyone be careful and ride safe so you can ride again.

Randy

I had a friend from the pd come and visit me and she hung it up. They were meeting a group and someone who was always prompt never showed. His wife stayed home because it was hot and the kids were sick, when they called her she said he left early afternoon. After a long search ( about 4 hrs) they found some small deer parts on the roadway and a search found him in the ditch not far from the deer with his bike tucked neatly in a corn field. They were not visible from the road and he wore a full face helmet. He was riding an ultra glide that looked like it hit a truck.

We wear helmets but all protective hear has it's limitations and people and wildlife are unpredictable. . .

Tow truck just hooked cable to mine and pulled it backwards thur cable guard rail. Sure didn't help things.3 miles below my house and they turned around and took it in the other direction to put it in storage til they met my marine son. Decided that wasn't a good plan!! Glad you were there to help him. I'll stick with my Full-face.