IGNORED

2012 Rear end noise

sleepy2

Have dry sounding clicking/clunking sound in rear end of my new 2012 Venture. Can hear it when slowing down at stop signs etc. and also when pushing around in lane-way . Took to dealer today to get opinion and he says it is the needle bearing in rear-end so have appointment for next Mon. to get fixed.

Also passing lights blew fuse(have them on all the time ) and couldn't find fuse until dealer remembered it was behind fairing so it has to be torn apart to change. Will get them to move to outside so I can change it later. Rear-end will be covered under warranty but not sure about fuse. Asked about it from sales man and heard mechanic say it was just a fuse BUT it was him who wired fuse behind fairing instead of outside where it is assessable--so I think it should be covered but will see on Mon.(if not covered it is about a 2hr job)

Had the same rearend problem on my 02 and the fix has worked for the last 150,000 miles. When they fix your pass lights, have them install a relay. This will prevent your ignition switch from overheating and giving up its soul. Trust me on this one. Or you will be posting about it later.

:farmer:

Have dry sounding clicking/clunking sound in rear end of my new 2012 Venture. Can hear it when slowing down at stop signs etc. and also when pushing around in lane-way . Took to dealer today to get opinion and he says it is the needle bearing in rear-end so have appointment for next Mon. to get fixed.

Rear-end will be covered under warranty

Yama is famous for "under-lubricating" things from factory, especially the rear drive; however, it's not necessarilly the needle bearing. Inside the drive there is a "dampening" device made up of 6 pins that go into rubber dampeners. The pins fit into metal sleeves molded into the rubber. These sleeves have practically zero lubrication on them from factory and that is generally what makes this "clicking" sound.

When you start doing your own maintenance, ensure you pull these, clean both the pins and the sleeves with emery and lube them with Honda Moly 60 paste.

This is well documented here on the forum. Here's one...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13263

echo on the relay, fuse it at or near the battery ( I pulled the tank to run wires) and zip tie the relay by the fuse that goes on the light. I would bet a stick of gum the wire is chaffed where it runs into the light bar, small wire loom is in order.

My 2009 RSV had a simaler problem as yours. Turn your wheel to the right and look behind the headlight below the triple clamp my wires were cut and shorted out against the frame. Not that hard a job to take the front ferring apart to locate the fuse. Who installed your lights? If the dealer installed your lights then they should fix it, especially if the wires are cut. Any where near Katy, TX????? I could help.

Hal :cool10: