IGNORED

Rider down in Indiana

dacheedah

I just received news that a local rider and his wife went down in Indiana, the preliminary reports were that he lost control when the rear tire blew out. I know him and he is a pretty conservative rider. His wife did not survive the crash and he is in bad shape.

My training was always, let off the gas, no breaks and steer to the side slowing down gradually. I have never experienced a blow out in all my years of riding, I have had tires gradually go flat.

Please respond as to your experience with a blow out and any tips for riding it out.

We will keep our friend and family in thoughts and prayers.

That is horrible news. My prayers are with him and his family.

I have never had a blow out. A blow out in the front is my worst nightmare. I've always been told the same thing: stay off the brakes, let off throttle, slow to stop. Keep us posted on riders condition.

That is horrible news. My prayers are with him and his family.

I have never had a blow out. A blow out in the front is my worst nightmare. I've always been told the same thing: stay off the brakes, let off throttle, slow to stop. Keep us posted on riders condition.

What halfwitt said... either a blow out on my bike or passing a 18 wheeler and they have a blowout and the road gator hitting me is my worse nightmare....

That scares me more than anything. Prayers for the rider and family. I have a fright that a tire blows out with my wife riding and she gets hurt or killed. I never push tires to see how many miles I can get but even that isn't a guarantee that you won't have a blow out.

Prayers sent! I've never had a blowout on a bike but it would seem as, like a car, it is better to have a blowout on the front as you can keep the steering under better control than if the rear has a blowout.

Ask Squidley about blowouts, he and Lonna were very lucky...

Thats very sad news I will keep the family in my thoughts.

I have lost tires on both front and rear and you can think I will do this or that but when it happens your going to react to what the bike does. When your rear end starts to one side your going to steer to that side if you can keep from jumping on the brake your better off but it happens so fast that keeping it upright is as much luck as skill. A front blow out is much easier to handle than a rear.

Very sorry to hear this, had a front tire blow out years ago, was only going about 35, went off the shoulder and into a creek. Like Redneck said when it happens you react/overreact so quick, you are lucky if you can keep it up.

Craig

Prayers for the man and his family.

My wife had a blowout on rear of her 800, at 75mph, I saw in the mirror the dust and debri when it came apart and knew she was a goner, I went sliding to the shoulder and dang near fell off of mine, she came idling up beside me with a grin on her face and said "Damn, what a ride"!!!

Our thoughts are with the family and friends!

There for the grace of God go I!!

I had a rear tire blow out last year in the first leg of our trip to Cody. I believe the camper I was towing saved my butt and it sure kept the wiggle and jiggle down to that and not a broncking bull ride!

So sad though.

Woman dies from injuries following motorcycle crash

Updated: Friday, 06 Jul 2012, 8:52 AM EDT

Published : Friday, 06 Jul 2012, 8:52 AM EDT

Rod Hissong

KOSCIUSKO COUNTY, Ind. (WANE) - The Allen County Coroner's Office has released information on a woman that has died following a motorcycle crash in eastern Kosciusko County Thursday afternoon.

According to a Kosciusko County Sheriff's Department report, Thomas C. Harwood, 44, Bourbonnais, Illinois, was traveling on U.S. 30 near County Road 450 East around 3:30 p.m. when his rear tire had a "blow-out."

Officials said the bike immediately began to skid and then flipped on the road, according to witnesses.

Harwoods passenger and wife, Paula Harwood, 39, Bourbonnais, Illinois, was thrown from the motorcycle and apparently struck by another motorcycle.

Paula Harwood had sustained injuries to her head, according to the report.

Thomas Harwood was seriously injured as he struck the pavement. He's currently listed in serious but stable condition at Parkview Regional Hospital.

When your rear end starts to one side your going to steer to that side if you can keep from jumping on the brake your better off but it happens so fast that keeping it upright is as much luck as skill. A front blow out is much easier to handle than a rear.

I believe the camper I was towing saved my butt and it sure kept the wiggle and jiggle down to that and not a broncking bull ride!

Redneck is right on the money, you will either instinctively steer into the way the bike is sliding to try and counter steer it, or you'll panic and the rest is in Gods hands. I can tell you one thing from surviving a rear tire blowout at 75 mph.....you have tenths of seconds to react, and I would like to think that I came off the throttle, but it happens so fast that you more than likely wont remember if you did or not.

Rick,

Remember about 5 years ago when Swifty was with Brad and Rhonda and lost his rear tire on his '86? he was pulling a trailer too. I believe that the trailer acts as an absorber so the rear of the bike doesn't get too far out during the swing. I remembered that if I had another 500 ft of pavement in front of me on my crash that I might have pulled it off. Once my front tire his the gravel on the side of the road I had zero control and the bike did what it wanted (or what thrust and gravity) wanted it to.

Very sad to hear of this couple and the wife not making it :(