IGNORED

I need proof/documentation

1rooster

Well, I can tell you with 100% certainty that they are wrong about the top speed on the '99. I have gone far beyond that and I have a Speedohealer on my speedometer and also GPS checked.

That's quite possible. The top speed runs by Cycle World are done at the end of a half mile run and a lot of bikes, especially the bigger, heavier ones with a lot of "drag", can easily take more than a half mile to reach their top speed. Quarter mile runs are about horsepower, weight, gearing and available traction. Published figures (By Yamaha) show only about a 70 pound weight difference between the 1st and 2nd gen's which seems like too little to explain the rather large difference in quarter mile acceleration times. Then too, there were 13 years of difference between the two runs and they were done at different drag strips. As any racer can tell you, that alone can make a big difference in E.T.'s and even speed. The only way to be certain would be to take a "like new" example of each gen. and run them side by side at the same strip several times. My understanding is that the gearing on the 2nd gen's is higher in the top two and possibly three gears. This could certainly have an effect, especially with the weight difference. Anyone have some time and a couple of bone stock 1st and 2nd gen's they would like to try this with? It could be quite interesting!

Andy

I agree that it's the gearing along with the rev limiter that makes the biggest difference. I've added the VMAX rear end to my '99 and also the Dyna ignition which allowed me to raise the rev limiter. I think that with those two changes, it would bring the results very close. I would love to have the same rider run those tests doing the comparison with those changes.

Now just for the record, my first post regarding top speed was before making those changes. With the stock rear end, I was able to achieve a higher top speed in 4th gear than I was in 5th gear. Don't know if that is still the case with the VMAX rear or not. I'm a little older now and really don't care. :)

The difference in the speed of the first gen and the second gen is in direct relationship to the right wrist muscles and the pair of b***s on the riders seat. The bigger, the faster.......:Avatars_Gee_George:

I thought my 86 was quick. Hadn[t ridden my 1980 GS 1100 E in a month. Rode it to the store today. 5 miles, curvy road by the river. The VR rides nicer. Cornering ability is similar. (limited probably to the rider's skills) There is NO comparing what happens when the throttle is twisted. Although top ends may be similar. There is no comparing the time to get there.

My B6 VR is no slug. But if I want to smoke the rear and lift the front, I'll take the Zuki for sure.

• 1 year later...

you know i just watched the vidieo again and just realized the wing jumped the light if you watch the time board it shows the red light when the time is posted now on our strip if you jump the line to quick you get red lighted and that shows on the time speed board at least thats the way our local track does it and its a nhra certified track :confused24: but i could be wrong as not all tracks work the same way

My 11/86 CYCLE magazine road test indicated the '86 VR 1300 1/4 mile time at 12.55 sec and 104.44 mph.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

We have this thing called "Chopper Fest" held at US131 Martin Dragway every year.. One of the really cool things about the Fest is they open the drag strip up to everyone.. Got a friend with a stock 2012 Ultra, 103 inch, bike has about 3000 miles on it.. He takes this new Harley and runs mid/upper 14's with it.. My old beat up 83 with no second gear and well over 150k would see mid/upper 13's.. That all said,, it is AMAZING what that little 1 second difference represents in street use..

I have another friend who LOVES drag racing, we have spent some fun hours (and $) building his 2010 Ultra motor, cams, head work, HC pistons, tuner, pipes.. Came out on the Dyno at 104 horse and 110 ft pds, and the most beautiful torque/hp curve I have ever seen!! It FLYS (for a big ol beautiful HD).. Low 12's... Once again AMAZING what a second represents in everyday street use....