IGNORED

front end vibration

Noticed this weekend....the front end/handlebars have quite a bit of vibration on all but the smoothest roads. Is this another venture quirk? My guess is poor balance of front wheel or slop in steering head section...sound about right? Haven't checked either yet...but new tires coming Thursday. That and some dynamo beads should eliminate any balance issues. Looks like 9000 miles on original 404's

You didnt say what year RSV you have but I sure do hope you replaced those Dunlop 404's tires with a better set like the Avon Venoms or Dunlop e3 tires.The vibration could be from the tire, a loose steering bearing or you may need a carb sync.

Guest tx2sturgis

The source of the vibration can be narrowed down if we have a few more details.

If the bike seems to vibrate more during acceleration, and settles out when slowing down, it could be a carb synch issue.

If you feel the vibration mostly at highway speeds, this might be a tire and or wheel out of balance.

If you feel the vibration even at lower speeds, say 30-40 mph, it may be a tire thats out of round...although this is pretty rare these days. Or it could be cupping and/or unusual wear.

If the vibration is worse when applying the front brakes, its probably a warped or worn rotor..or maybe steering head bearings.

Vibration on rough roads but not smooth roads could be loose steering head bearings, or possibly an issue with the wheel bearings, or the forks or triple tree might have something loose or bent or broken...or it could be a low REAR tire.

Lots of possibilities here.

Sorry guys...was posting from my phone...so was cutting it short :)

Synched the carb's about 4 days ago. It's an '06, 9000 miles and I believe original tires. Cant vouch for much of it's service history.

Wasn't sure if steering head adjustment was comon at the 5 or 10 thousand mile service after head bearings seated? Either way....I'll check for looseness when I get the front end up to pull the tire.

Not reinstalling 404's (never been a fan of them)...have E3's on their way.

I notice it more on back roads than interstate....but it does smooth out occasionally. I'll just replace and balance the 2 tires, check tightness of the steering head and go from there. Just didn't know if there was something else I could be missing.

When I took a glance at the front wheel after Sunday's ride...I couldn't find any balancing weights...and not used to dealers using beads.

Thanks for the input guys...

At 9k miles your original tire is undoubtedly shot. Once the tires get that many miles on them you can feel the uneven-ness while walking the bike in your driveway. The tire is still good for use, but it gets ratty and unpleasant to ride on.

But, keep in mind, the handlebars are rubber mounted. You take your hands off, and the bars will shake wildly.

If "back roads" means very uneven surface, then it would be normal for the front end to bounce over the irregularities. Especially if you've got your fork air maxed out.

Don't fear the D404. Lots of people use them, including me. They are perfectly good tires. In fact, for smoothness and quiet, I'll put a D404 up against any tire.

sounds good. By backroads...I meant 2 lane rural highways....I wouldn't say they are particularly rough. But speed must be up because I didn't notice it in town. Mainly lots of tar snakes etc.

Besides my tire change...I'll check the air in the front forks....thanks

Like the others, thinking tires but could also be steering head needs tightening. Simple check on the head is to lift the bike and see if the handlebars will hold in one spot if you let them go. If they move then simple 15 minute process to tighten them a bit. Some do the bounce test but I find the turn slightly and let go and see if it holds a better test.

I notice that if I upshift too soon the fairing will seem to "shake" as I put the engine under load. Doesn't pull to one side or the other but the dash will vibrate noticeably. And I know my steering head is right. Not sure how long you've had your Venture but they like to rev high. Shift too soon and you'll get vibration.

I'd do two things..Neither will cost you any money..

1) Do a carb sync

2) If you still have the problem..tighten the steering head bearing

If neither of those two do the trick then I'd consider a tire replacement

:080402gudl_prv:

I'd do two things..Neither will cost you any money..

1) Do a carb sync

2) If you still have the problem..tighten the steering head bearing

If neither of those two do the trick then I'd consider a tire replacement

:080402gudl_prv:

Yeah, but put change the tires at number one, and the other two below it. He's got a set of D404 oem tires on this thing with over 9k miles. They are surely worn out. Even if they aren't causing this particular problem they need to be replaced, and getting new tires on there properly balanced will eliminate that area as a possible cause.

Even so, he most likely needs the carb balance and steering head snug-up, too, LOL. It's just that those two things are much less likely to show up as a bouncing ride.

Sounds like a plan...tires came in, but pretty sure I ordered the wrong size. Neither one is as big as the current back tire. Won't have time to change before the weekend trip anyhow. If I'm lucky.....the front one is there and I just clicked the wrong item for the back tire.

I posted above.....I already synch'ed the carbs. It's one of the first things I do to any motorcycle. It's amazing how much of an affect it can have.

I'll check the steering head as that's quick...but need to figure out a safe way to lift the front end. My lift adapter from carbon one, should be in tonight.

Once you get the bike up off the floor and stabilized, grab the forks down near the bottom of them, below the calipers. Alternately pull and push in a line parallel to the ground. There shouldn't be any noticeable play, except a little that is in the fork tubes themselves. If there is any play in the steering head bearings, it should be immediately noticeable as a clunky sound when you push and pull, and you may also be able to see the movement.

Again, the fork tubes also have a bit of play in them where they slide in and out of the sliders, and this may be accentuated by having the forks fully extended when bike in up on the lift. So if you feel some movement, make sure it is not just the fork sliders and tubes.

Also, the steering assy should move easily side to side, but not TOO easily. To test, first try to clear anything on the front end that might prevent the steering from moving freely, such as cables. Then nudge the wheel to one side and bounce off the stop. The assy should bounce away from the stop and then stop before it goes much past center. If it bounces and continues on over to the other side, that is probably too loose for tight riding, though it probably wouldn't show up as play in the stem. IOW your steering might be too loose and yet show no play in the stem. To large extent this is a personal taste thing, and there is no set rule. Some like it stiffer. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

WOBBLE and BOUNCE ISSUES:

I have an interesting story that I want to share. I've had wobble issues on and off for over 2 years until I was almost afraid to ride the 88 VR bike. It was no fun anymore. I tried much of the above. No luck. Finally solved the problem. Now the wobble is gone, the bike goes like a bat out of hell, corners like a race machine, easily does 2x posted speed in the twisties with tar stripes, uneven roads, grooves and it almost WANTS to race - unbelievable. My confidence is back. OK, OK, it's a 1st gen and they are fast machines - but here is the lowdown: Hope it helps someone.

#1: the fork oil seals leaked and the lightweight racing 10w synthetic oil drained / sat on the michelin commanders over the winter. Despite those stating otherwise, the oil DID soak into the rubber making it heavy, swollen and hence out of round by .250-.300". That is a lot. Tried a re-balance. NoGo. Replaced the tire with metzlar 880's 110/90 - next size down. Now the steering is deadly accurate - best I have ever had. It falls into the corners naturally. Go figure.

#2: Replaced the fork seals. In the process, found out that the 4 sliders were worn out, and 2 small valve springs on the left side were missing. Fixed that. Made sure they were perfect - careful rebuild.

#3: Have progressive springs and 15wt Motul fork oil to specs. Might take out a bit of oil as ride is a bit stiff - it might just be the new seals tho - will find a stiction lube somewhere to loosen things up. No air pressure added.

#4: Steering head was adjusted - as per the above. I jacked the front wheel just off the ground and tightened / adjusted the head so that the wheels barely / not even fall freely from side to side stops. A bit tighter is for better control. MY preference.

#5: Scrapped the Spitfire (lousy tire) and put a new tire on rear - Dunlop E3. Again size adjustment down from 140/90 to 150/80.

#6: Put in 8oz slime for balance and leak prevention in both tires.

#7: Found a missing bolt that anchors / tightens the rear axle on the right side swing arm - might have caused some side to side movement of the swing arm - not sure, but it is in place now anyway.

#8: Completely refinished, polished and cleaned the wheels. Found lots of grime, dirt, and build up in rear wheel and hub area. Would it have caused wobble due to a slight mis-balance - I doubt it, but it is restored to better than new factor specs.

I can tell you, that since I live in central BC, Canada - in an area of the mecca of twisties and gorgeous mc roads, I had to restore my confidence after 2 years of fear. That came about quickly.

I started off with a nice highway trip thru the mountains on the Trans Canada highway - 45 mins. Ate diner. Then I went back faster and faster to see how it handled - up to 100 mph. Perfect

I had a 79 year old senior who came for the ride and I could tell either she was confident of fearful.

The bike was on 43 psi load range on the rear (might have been a bit low I think), none on the front. I then went off on a secondary by the lakeshore - lots of twisties and road repairs here from the recent flash flooding. I thought I would see if I could induce a wobble -starting slowly of course and tested the limits - if there are any.

There was no way I could induce a wobble. I tried on the straights. None. Then I tried in light cornering. None. Then in the tighter corners. It immediately stopped - it would not, could not wobble or bounce. Holy ****! This is amazing. Then I went into tight corners (60 km warnings at 110-120) with a few bumps and road repairs and it rocketed around that corner almost without effort or hands - it was astounding. The bike WANTED to go fast. Again I tried to induce a bit of wobble in corners, bumps, flats, repairs. None whatsoever. Even came close to scraping pegs. The bike resisted wobble and bounce and always found perfect tracking. I was blown away. And no fork brace either I might add.

Mary (the senior) said she had absolutely no fear, no worry and was amazed at the confidence she had in the bike. It was the ride of her life and she is living the dream -well before the bucket list kicks in! I have never seen her so elated, upbeat and happy - imagine that. Like a kid again. I guess the repairs worked! She was in heaven.

So was I. So was I.

It seems that a lot of folks get a wobble when the let go of the handle bars (without hands far off!!!!) and decelerate. I've noticed it starts to wobble on a couple of different bikes so it must be a common thing.

It seems that a lot of folks get a wobble when the let go of the handle bars (without hands far off!!!!) and decelerate. I've noticed it starts to wobble on a couple of different bikes so it must be a common thing.

That's true, it is very common. Most bikes will start to shimmy as they decel through around 35 mph with hands off the bars.

But at least on the Venture (2d gen) it can be all but eliminated by keeping the head bearing snug. A little more snug than is called for in the spec.

My 07 handles the way Indianajones described his riding after sprucing up his front end. I have to work hard to induce a wobble at any speed. The bike handles beautifully, as good as anything I've ever ridden.