IGNORED

Degraded Charging system effect Fuel Milage?

Got my charging system working and did a 300 mile loop today to test it out and one surprise I got was that my fuel mileage had increased by 6 MPG. I did not know a charging fault would cause a decrease in mileage. Has anyone else noticed this?

I plan on adding a voltage gauge or monitor later but in the mean time I bought a cheap battery/charging monitor form Advance and plugged it into my passenger outlet. Real easy to check when you stop at a red light.

That doesn't really surprise me, if there isn't enough juice to fill all the power needs of the computer, coils and such, I could see the bike working harder which means more fuel consumption. Kind of a nice gift to get back isn't it

:thumbsup2:

This is a good reason to Install an " accurate " Voltmeter to all the Venture models. With all the history of Charging system problems with these bikes. An accurate Meter will warn you well in advance that your Alternator , or R/R unit, or wireing are developing problems. !!

Once the voltage starts dropping below 13.6 Volts, watch it, you have about 5 to 10K miles before real trouble starts. The gauge on teh 1st gens is NOT, accurate enough to monitor the situation.

I will be installing an aftermarket, DIGITAL, voltmeter on my new 08 RSTD. I'm allready looking for one. ( Not, an Auto Voltmeter ) They are not accurate enough.

So, what was wrong with the charging system ?? ( We need to know !! ) :detective:

Only thing I can figure is a dirty connection, when I took the plug out of the R/R sand fell out. Everything tested good and when I put it back together it worked.