Front lighting on a budget. I like other drivers to see me at night and day!

They are not the RSV classic look and add nothing to value of bike.

I spent only $35 on these from WalMart.

Mounted on front side reflector brackets (removed reflectors) and fork shield brackets.

5 lights could net ya a ticket from Barney Fife. There is a limit on how many you can run in many states and the amount of light they emit. You shouldn't have a problem during daylight hours, but at night, I believe you'll have a problem if you keep them all on with oncoming traffic.

Front lighting on a budget. I like other drivers to see me at night and day!

They are not the RSV classic look and add nothing to value of bike.

I spent only $35 on these from WalMart.

Mounted on front side reflector brackets (removed reflectors) and fork shield brackets.

how much light do you have from the smaller lights that you have mounted on the reflector brackets. ?

and did you connect them to the headlight or did you use a switch. ...because I hate to take the fairing apart.

have the lowest ones pointing low like fog lights. the upper ones come close in the middle just under headlight. use the garage wall for adjustments. gives me extra lighting BUT idea was to BE seen which is excellent results

ran wires hidden along brake lines and found a switched wire under tank. no need to remove fairing comes on with headlights - did not use supplied optional switch.

* also I used one of the inline fuses supplied with each set of lights and tied all 4 lights to it

Guest BluesLover

I've been thinking of adding lites at the lower level as you have done.

What type/brand did you use for the lowers? I like the looks of that set up.

Cheers,

fib 78 - just to let you know Barney Fife gave me a hi-by. he was on his HD patrol bike with a mask over his mouth/chin since it was in 30+ degrees in AM and as he passed me he knodded his head & thumb up and Of course I was cool and acknowledged him back. He had to see the lights!

:322:

Guest tx2sturgis
Will be installing switch this weekend to be able to turn off the lights. Too much drain on battery with key on & engine not running and my battery is only 2 weeks new!

Well...I hate to say I told ya so...but....

:stirthepot:

questions were posted whether battery could handle extra current needed for lights - the answer is no it cannot. after I charged the battery I took my wife for her 1st ride on my recently aquired RSV. I was fortunate enough to find a neighbor less than a mile from where the bike died and was able to jump it to ride it home instead of it being towed!

Can the lights withstand the vibration mounted on lower part of fork? No as can be seen from pic.

Next is to spend the xtra bucks to get the tried & proven after-market light bar!

I am thinking of adding 2 xtra tail/brake lights that use the same 1057 dual element bulb that is the standard Yamaha bulb.

My questions - anyone ever have any battery drain from:

1 - using the passing lights?

2 - using any other rear tail/brake or running lights?

I have the OEM Yamaha passing lamps and on the rear, the Harley tail light/license plate bracket assembly. I'm also running the Pilot LED under the trunk. I've been running this way for about 7 years with no problems. Passing lamps are usually on all the time.

Guest tx2sturgis

Hey dharnie...most of the folks on here already know what you found out....you cant run lots of electrical accessories on the Venture and expect it to survive. I'm thinkin that some of us MAY have been amused that you had the cajones to just go ahead and hang as many lights as a 747 has on it on your bike.

The stator and battery will handle the stock loads, plus SOME added goodies, but you cant go hanging multiple high wattage lights on it!

You can do a search thru the forums, using search terms such as, stator, watts, capacity, etc, and you will find some pertinent info. In brief, it seems we are limited by the stator and battery to a couple of passing lights, 35watts each, a heated vest, heated gloves or grips, and a couple of extra low-current goodies, like a GPS, satellite radio, or maybe some small extra brake or running lights. Not a heckuva lot more than that, though.

There are some ways to 'gain' some capacity, if you feel you need to. The first, is to reduce the running amps, by converting some or all of your lighting(other than the headlight) to LED type lighting. This will save SOME current. The other is to upgrade the stator, which will cost a few hundred dollars, and get you some more amperage, but the jury is still out as far as reliability issues.

Another way some people 'cheat' and save some wattage is to disconnect the carb heaters, they draw about 60 watts. I have not done this, so I cant speak to how it affects the rideablilty.

One other way to gain some surplus current, and at the same time increase forward visibility, is to install a headlight modulator. These will cost around a hundred dollars, or less, and reduce the headlight drain by an average of about 2 amps, when on. You cant run a modulator at night, so the savings is not there when you may need it most for running other lights, but it does slightly lessen the load on the battery and stator when in use.

I have installed the Kisan headlight modulator, Radiantz LED brake/tail lamp and Hot Grips brand heated grips, along with my Widder heated vest that I run when its cold.

I also have installed a Kisan Charge Guard battery monitor, and so far, all is well...that is, when I can ride, since between work and the cold weather, its been hard to get more than about 200-500 miles a month on the bike recently.

Heres hoping you settle on a reasonable amount of forward lighting. And oh yeah, buying cheapo hardware is actually more expensive in the long run. But you knew that, right?

Let us know how it goes.

:)

Wow what an informative thread. dharnie, thanks for the follow up on the results. Sorry about your expense but will say saved me a lot of work and cost here. Thanks to every one else. As always I am learning a lot about this ride very quickly from the info you all provide.