IGNORED

Shift indicator switch

I"m doing the clutch slave cyl and figured I'd tackle the gear indicator issue while I was in there.

Mine reads 4th gear for everything except 5th

That part was not really planned cause I didn't even realize the switch was in there!!

Anyway, I did the testing as per the manual and I guess the switch is bad.

Any body got a GOOD shift indicator switch they want to part with?

How much is a new one here in Canada?

I really dont' want to try building up the contacts with solder like I read in one thread...I"d rather just change the switch.

If I go ahead and do the slave cyl. and put the cover back on....do I have to order another gasket and crush washer to do the switch later or can I just re-use the "new" ones I would have just put in?

I have two 83 parts bikes. that i would have to guess has what you need, and presumably works. Where is the part located, how hard to pull ? how do I test it to know it works ?

I have two 83 parts bikes. that i would have to guess has what you need, and presumably works. Where is the part located, how hard to pull ? how do I test it to know it works ?

Not sure you do have what I need!

I know my 83 doesn't have the shift indicator on it.

My 84 did.

But Thanks anyway.

Nope KIC, the 83s are Neutral indicator only, he will need a newer model switch, that also has the gear position contacts as well.

Location is just below the clutch slave cylinder.

But can I reuse the new gasket and crush washer after a week or so of being on the bike?

Crush washer no problem, but the gasket, if you greased it, prior to install, yup. Otherwise it may tear, so it can be iffy, on re-useing it.........

It sounds like you have a 84 and up dash in an 83. If you look under the left side behind the clutch slave cylinder, you will see a round switch that either has one or five wires coming out of it. An 83 has one and 84 up has five. If you have an 84 up dash and want all the gear indicators to work, you will need to put the 84 up switch in and the wiring harness from an 84 up.

RandyA

Any body got a GOOD shift indicator switch they want to part with?

How much is a new one here in Canada?

When I fixed mine I only needed to get the brass contact pin. The local dealer had it. Can't remember what it cost but I'm thinking it was under $9.

As Clive said, the routine repair is to replace the contact pin (toss in a new spring while you are there). The contact plates on the switch plate are pretty rugged but every shift grinds a bit on that pin. And a nice coat of dialectric grease before you button it up should see another 20 years performance!

Part #'s you need for the 83 are; (from partshark in the Shift Cam Fork tab)

point, neutral 4UN-18542-00-00 $2.22

spring, compression 90501-06022-00 $1.88

These are the same for all the 1st gens, since you have parts that were not stock on an 83.

Gary

So the suggestion is I should just order a new PIN?

This is for my 88.Sorry If I wasn't specific enough.

I would think that is all you will need. Pin & spring.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to also order a screw, 98707-05016-00, just in case original is pain getting out. $1.05

Also get a new O-ring for existing switch. 93210-29196-00 $2.45 This is in electrical 2 tab.

Gary

I would think that is all you will need. Pin & spring.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to also order a screw, 98707-05016-00, just in case original is pain getting out. $1.05

Also get a new O-ring for existing switch. 93210-29196-00 $2.45 This is in electrical 2 tab.

Gary

Mine was already disassembled before I ordered the parts so I knew I didn't need the screw but did get the pin a, spring and o-ring. Checked the prices on PartShark and there was only a few cents difference between them and my local dealer. Worked out to be much cheaper from the dealer because there was no cross border shipping. Don't forget to also get the gasket for the middle gear cover. Also, have some RTV on hand to cover the wires coming out of the switch as per Gary's writeup. May not be necessary but can't hurt.

OK guys.... this is for my 88

I now have a new pin, o-ring and spring.

Now I'm POSITIVE that underneath the gear indicator switch was a steel rod, about 1'8" in diameter with a nice rounded end that made contact with the underside of the switch.

I didn't see any spring, removable end or screw. Perhaps a PO put the pin in backwards???

I only pulled the pin out about an inch or so cause I didn't I didn't know what I was doing and I didn't want to damage anything or drop anything inside the gearbox.

Comments? Pictures?

I am assuming the new pin should go right under the switch, but like I said...all I saw was a nice rounded end of the rod.

OK...my switch is cracked across the screw shown with the red line 0n the picture Gary posted.

Is the switch toast or will that make any difference?

I can always try to glue it once I get it out again.

Sorry to ask so many stupid questions....but I don't want to have to do this multiple times!