IGNORED

I may need a new real wheel

I put a new rear tire on last week and found that the inside of the rim was coated with some sort of black stuff that had left corosion on the inside the rim so I cleaned the rim off with a brass brush and soap and water and there were some pretty good pits. Everything seemed ok after the tire was mounted but after the first ride it is leaking about 30 pounds a day.

I am thinking maybe if I break the bead and reset it that may take care of the issue, I had thought about ride on but I was told it was no good for sealing around the rim.

If this does not work does anyone have a spare rear wheel for a 2nd gen they would part with cheap?

30 lbs a day, do you mean 3??? You can air up the tire and with the rear wheel off the ground spray soapy water on each side of the rim to see if the bead is leaking. Or remove the wheel and submerg in a tank of water to see where the leak is, rim or bead. Check with Pin Wheel cycle parts for a replacement rim....:080402gudl_prv:

30 lbs a day, do you mean 3??? You can air up the tire and with the rear wheel off the ground spray soapy water on each side of the rim to see if the bead is leaking. Or remove the wheel and submerg in a tank of water to see where the leak is, rim or bead. Check with Pin Wheel cycle parts for a replacement rim....:080402gudl_prv:

I tried soaping it on the bike but that did not work too well, I will pull it off tonight. I put 48 punds in it last night and this morning it had 18 so it's going down pretty quick. I have not rode it since I discovered it going down.

Did you spray soap solution on the valve stem?

Could be the seal for the stem itself or the spring valve leaking.

I had a slow leak in a tire that turned out to be the guts of the valve had worked loose.

Did you spray soap solution on the valve stem?

Could be the seal for the stem itself or the spring valve leaking.

I had a slow leak in a tire that turned out to be the guts of the valve had worked loose.

You hit in on the head, the leak was at the very bottom of the valve stem and with the bike flat on the ground I could not see the bubbles so I jacked it up and soaped it down good and I could barley see bubbles coming out. I loosened the nuts and re tightened them a couple times till I got it to stop leaking. I will see how much air I have in the morning to see if it really worked. I should have replaced it when I had the tire off but since it is metal I did not. I think that since the rim was so corroded I jumped to conclusions it was worse than the front pictured.

But I will tell you what a great group of folks we have on this forum, I got calls text and post offering parts and help no more than an hour after I posted.

When you get your new valve stem, make it easy on yourself and buy one from the dealer using the part # out of the Yam catalog. I bought a rear stem aftermarket and discovered it wouldn't fit the wheel, and had to re-use the old valve. Next tire change I used the Yam part and it fit perfectly. You'd think there'd be just one version of these things, but apparently there're at least two.

That pic looks like what Ride-on did to my rims after one year...I will not use it again, even though I have been told that was not caused by it, but they were not like that before I put it in... so thats what I`m going with..

K

You hit in on the head, the leak was at the very bottom of the valve stem and with the bike flat on the ground I could not see the bubbles so I jacked it up and soaped it down good and I could barley see bubbles coming out. I loosened the nuts and re tightened them a couple times till I got it to stop leaking. I will see how much air I have in the morning to see if it really worked. I should have replaced it when I had the tire off but since it is metal I did not. I think that since the rim was so corroded I jumped to conclusions it was worse than the front pictured.

But I will tell you what a great group of folks we have on this forum, I got calls text and post offering parts and help no more than an hour after I posted.