IGNORED

Avon Venom X

Digger

Just put a new Venom X on the front and now front end feels like I'm riding on tar snakes. It isn't any better than the old tire that was really worn, tracks to easily on any grooves in the road. Checked cold tire pressure at 38. Any ideas why it feels this way, leaving on trip in three days and not feeling real comfortable especially at slow speeds.

Hey Dan,

I have found that the Avon likes a bit more air than 38 PSI, especially if you are a 200+ pound person. Try 40 to 41 PSI and see if it feels any better. I personally think that the Avon Venom is one of the best "road hugging" motorcycle tires on the market. Because of this, it does take a bit of getting used to. If you run your bike loaded in the rear, try to adjust the air in the shock a bit higher in the rear to distribute the weight a bit better. If the front end is "light" compared to the rear, your bike will "wander" more than usual.

Earl

Just put a new Venom X on the front and now front end feels like I'm riding on tar snakes. It isn't any better than the old tire that was really worn, tracks to easily on any grooves in the road. Checked cold tire pressure at 38. Any ideas why it feels this way, leaving on trip in three days and not feeling real comfortable especially at slow speeds.

:think: I love the Avon Venoms myself. I run both on the rear and also front, I suspect you are to. Not good to mix brands.

Are you sure your back tire is OK ? Mine felt squirrelly and I checked the rear I thought. Checked air pressure, then checked again with help and found out that my rear was worn to the threads in two places. The two places where from twice that I had to lock up the bike because someone pulled out in front of me. Replaced both the front and rear, problem solved.

James :2cents:

Hey Dan,

I have found that the Avon likes a bit more air than 38 PSI, especially if you are a 200+ pound person. Try 40 to 41 PSI and see if it feels any better. I personally think that the Avon Venom is one of the best "road hugging" motorcycle tires on the market. Because of this, it does take a bit of getting used to. If you run your bike loaded in the rear, try to adjust the air in the shock a bit higher in the rear to distribute the weight a bit better. If the front end is "light" compared to the rear, your bike will "wander" more than usual.

Earl

I'll try increasing the pressure in the front tire, rear shock at 40, front at 5. Thanks for the input

:think: I love the Avon Venoms myself. I run both on the rear and also front, I suspect you are to. Not good to mix brands.

Are you sure your back tire is OK ? Mine felt squirrelly and I checked the rear I thought. Checked air pressure, then checked again with help and found out that my rear was worn to the threads in two places. The two places where from twice that I had to lock up the bike because someone pulled out in front of me. Replaced both the front and rear, problem solved.

James :2cents:

Not much choice on rear tire, I was on a 5000 mile trip last summer and wore out the rear tire at the Dragon. Only tire I could find nearby was a Pirelli. Will put a Venom on back when it's time, only has 2500 miles on it now and is in good shape.

Avons ride on air and they like a lot of it.I found that i got my best service life,ride and handling by going up to the limit on the side wall.Start there and come down if you have to to get what you want.

I agree on the air to. :thumbsup2:

Fuzzy

I always run 48 rear and 45 front with my Venoms. One other possibility is your steering head bearings are loose. They may need to be snugged down a bit.

Yep in the recommended sidewall pressure. I've ran the last set of Venoms at the sidewall pressure and got almost 25,000 mile out of them with no problems.

I played with lower pressures and found there were very noticable changes in the handling at even at 5 to 10 pounds lower. None of them were an improvement.

Mike

I agree with everyone's recommendation of higher psi in the Avon. It will also elimate any side wall flex and future cupping... MOF take it right up to max side wall pressure. On the tar snakes you might not have put a lot of miles on the tire yet and still have the new tire finish and it needs to be scrubbed a little more.... Go ride in the twisties... :) As far as mixing tire brands don't worry about it. I had the same situation with a partially worn rear EII and added the Venom to the front. Ran that way for 6,000 miles without a bit of a problem. Many others here on the board have also. :2cents: