I've checked the other posts on bypassing the battery monitor resistor and most people are saying to use a 1k or 2.2k resistor.

The thing is I want to keep the monitor in place and my resistor wire is coroded and needs replacing, but the bands indicate that the original is only a 680ohm resistor.

What would be better? Try and find another 680 or would a 1k work as the original did?

Thanks

Markus

Since the resistor is being used to limit the current, it will always be safe to use a larger value.

The worst that could happen from the larger value is that not enough current will get thru and the red warning light will come on.

If the resistor value is to small it will let to much current thru and cook the computer.

The 680 ohm is stock value. If the battery has a place to put the probe, it is unlikely that you will have to do anything further. Sometimes, one has to scrape the probe of corrosion to make the CMS quit *****in'. You said you wanted to retain the monitor. Does the current battery have a place for the probe? If so, clean the probe and use the stock setup. If the current battery has no place to insert the stock probe, then remove the probe and use a 2.2k ohm (or so) in line from the ACC terminal on the fuse block to the CMS, without the stock resistor (which is in the same wire with the probe).

Thanks for the reply. Couldn't find a 680 ohm so I picked up some 1k and 2.2k ohm. 2 bucks for a 5 pack so deffintly doesnt hurt the coin purse. I'll try the 1k first and see what happens.:322:

Markus

I used the 2.2k on my when I changed to the DEKA AGM. Hit it right the first time.

Mike

I just did a probe eliminator for someone. It looked to me like the resistor in the probe was 6800 ohm - I guess I misread the multiplier.

Anyhow, since I'd read 1-2K to eliminate the probe and assumed the 6800 was still used I replaced everything with a 10K to a switched (+). The CMS was happy.

If I really messed up then the CMS is content to see a lot more resistance than the stock resistor provides.