IGNORED

My daughter just amazes me!

curt99rsv

I recently got the best Christmas present of my life. My daughter, who I knew was special, got invited by Duke to take her ACT at the age of 12. This didn't suprise me since they have been scouting her for a couple of years. I took her for the test last month and waited patiently for the results. I was expecting a 14-18 for a score and was just thrilled that she had taken the test. She got her results last week and scored a 28!! Her guidance counselor was amazed and said in all of his years (he was my teacher in 7th grade also) he had never seen any 12 yr old score higher than a 22!

Anyone know the implications of this? Maybe in a few years I can get a new Venture and name it "College Fund"?

Sorry for the bragging, just a "proud pop".

Curt

I agree....congrats to both of you. Sounds like she may be getting an opportunity to go to college early. That will probably be a tough decision for you. At least it would be for me. My son is 16 and has the opportunity to graduate early and I honestly don't think I want him too. It may be great for some folks but not for everybody. I think I would rather him stay home, stay in high school and continue maturing before going off to college.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be the right decision for your personal situation and wish you and her the very best.

Be proud and be thankful, and after that be smart and do what is right. It's real nice to be a pappa of a smart kid, but as Freebird mentioned, there are difficulties that have to thought about.

God Bless you in your thoughts and decisions.

Thanks for the support guys. And like you said Don, she may be up for some college courses this summer. Duke sent us some info on that last Fall and suggested she take some courses in the summer if she scored high enough. I think a 28 is plenty high enough.

Thanks for the concern also. Her guidance counselor suggested a private school for 9-12 grades. The closest one is 100 miles away. She will have to really, I mean really want to go for me to even consider that.

Curt:bighug:

Thanks for the concern also. Her guidance counselor suggested a private school for 9-12 grades. The closest one is 100 miles away. She will have to really, I mean really want to go for me to even consider that.

Curt

That sounds like a good reason to put 200+ miles on the bike a day to me!!!

CJ, my son, was on Duke's list since grade school. They evidently use the standard test scores to identify talented kids, then offer summer programs and other activities to keep them high performers. We did not participate in any of the activities; most times, it's easier to let kids be kids. He did participate in a school program for high performing kids, TACK- Talented & Creative Kids during elementary school. Since it was local and he was interested, we put him in it. Currently, he's in "Project Lead the Way", a preengineering program offered to high school students through the local technical training program.

If the activities interest her, and it's fun for her, get her into it. If not, you may burn her out. Social skills sometimes suffer from kids not able to spend time with their peers; you have to be the judge of that.

Arica, my daughter, started "concurrent enrollment" her junior year in high school. Local college offers high school students "free" tuition and college credit for replacing high school course with college courses. The potential is for the student to graduate high school with 8 or more college classes credit for the same effort as high school. My daughter loved it; the students were more interested in learning, and she got to skip day school for a night class.

Both took the ACT early; both scored well the first time. Arica's score improved enough the second time to earn a full ride scholarship out of state. CJ's 1 point away from a full ride in state. Both had/have lots of offers to consider many colleges. Both of them are pretty close to being burned out on school, though. They like to learn, but don't like "busy work". It interferes with their personal time.

Both attended public school all their lives. It's a decent school system, large, with lots of AP and honors courses available. While private schools may be good for some (many of our friends & coworkers use private schools) it's more about the kid and you than the school; kids need to want to learn, and you need to know how to keep them learning. Controlling distractions, encouraging & punishing at the appropriate times, helping with homework, showing real world examples of the lessons they're learning, etc.

Personally, I wouldn't send my kids away to school until it's time for them to move out (college?) But I know a lot of families do. Who's raising them when they're not at home? Who monitors their friends & their social activities? Who takes them to church? and so on. Several of my daughter's peers lived out of state while attending sports camps full time. Maybe it's good, but it's not for me.

I offer this info not to brag, but to show how I answered the same question. My kids are still a work in progress; Arica returned home to attend a local college & stay closer to friends, while keeping CJ motivated to turn in his homework (!!!) keeps Amy & I from letting him run free.

A 28 is a great score at any age and grade in school but even better from a younger person. The Duke program is nation wide and does identify many gifted kids. My nephew scored pretty high as well but he started taking it for granted and did not study as much any more because he figured he had it made. His grade as a senior reflected his lack of further studying and he was unable to go out of state as he wished. Still did good but needed to keep studying. Have to stay behind them every step of the way.

Who's taking the credit for the smart kid?

Mom or Dad??

:rotf::rotf:

Three guesses....Nope, I'll take it. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! LOL!

Her mother called me this afternoon. Apparantly the District Judge stopped her in the courthouse to congratulate her on Elizabeth's score. Stories sure move fast in a small town.

Curt

Congrats on the success in raising a smart daughter, I have the pleasure of having one (I think so) also. We received a letter from Ball State University earlier this week congratulating her on making the Deans Honor Roll List for the first semester (3.68 cumulative GPA). Good luck in figuring out the future! A good problem to have.

Dan

Guest Yamahawg

Congratulations to your daughter, you and her mother. All of you have something to be really proud of.

I always knew that people from Alabama were highly intelligent. Here's my proof. Wait a minute, I'm originally from Ala also, Wonder what happened to me. *Grins*.

Seriously though her ACT scores are incredible. I wish her the best.

BTW, I still hope to make the ride your way one day when I'm visiting Russellville.

Seriously though her ACT scores are incredible. I wish her the best.

BTW, I still hope to make the ride your way one day when I'm visiting Russellville.

Thanks for the support. Just give me a call when you're down this way. Looking forward to it.

Curt

That's a great ACT score!! Tell her congratulations!!

Now, there is no special prize for kids that hit college early other than people are untrusting because of their age. There is a lot to be said though for kids to be able to grow socially from being with other kids their own age.

Your daughter is ahead of the curve, but we have had our kids "concurrently enrolled" in college during their Junior and Senior years in high school. This has worked great to keep them challenged academically for their core subjects but allowed them to still attend the regular school for non-core subjects and social interaction.

Two of our four kids moved into a 4 year university after high school with associate degrees after high school. A third moved to a 4 year university with a full ride scholarship before completing her associate degree and our youngest has just started classes at Weber State this year.

Just wanted to share another perspective. All four kids attended a private school. Private doesn't necessarily mean more advanced classes are available.

FYI - of my four kids, 28 was their best ACT score.

FANTASTIC