IGNORED

fuel filter?

Trader

I was all packed up, helmet on and ready to go. Planned on an all day ride up to Ottawa for a new car-topper for the trailer, then down to Cornwall to pick up a set of carbs on the rack I had bought from Thirdbike.

I kissed my wife goodbye....turned the key and ....NOTHING!

I was up late last night playing with the running lights and I guess I killed the battery.

"no problem" I thought, Just boost it off the car and I'll be on my way....a minor delay.

Not so!

It would not run. I could get it to fire, but it would rev up and die. It wouldn't stay running!

Now I know my battery and charging system is OK because I NEVER have issues under normal operating.

I suspected fuel delivery...

I opened the one screw all the way out thinking it was the drain ...(it was the one that usually is 2 1/2 turns out) but no gas came out.

I opened up one carb and removed the slider and diaphram to check and as I tried to start it I couldn't see any fuel misting in there or any other indication it was getting fuel. (Is that even a way to tell?)

I checked the fuel filter. (What a pain to get to!)

Sure enough when I blew it out I THINK a slug of something came out. I felt something bounce off my hand but it might even have just been a drop of gas.

( As gas was pouring out of the bike I realized I should have turned off the fuel supply first!!!:doh:)

I charged up the battery while I was working and once I got it all back together I went for a ride for over an hour and it ran just fine.

So now I don't know for sure if it was the fuel filter, or if the dead battery could have prevented it from running somehow. I had it connected to the car battery (car not running) so I have to believe it was the filter was plugged.

Any thoughts?

Maybe time to change the fuel lines, and that is a tricky business, unless you blow big bucks for the original.

I always listen for the fuel pump to click or quit clicking before I start my scoot. If the filter is plugged it won't quit running and if it doesn't work it won't click to start with. Don't know why I do that, I just do.

What had me confused is the pump WAS clicking and shutting off. I would start the bike it would rev up once and die.

So I guess it had enough fuel flow to get up to pressure...but not enough to keep it running.

UNLESS as I asked, it is possible that it was electrical all along????

Bob.....I will be at Carl's Friday night if everything works out.

Guest Slab_Ryder

We're all cylinders firing? I had the same problem 2 years ago and it was the pump itself. One cylinder is gravity fed, so you will be able to get it started.